• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hawthorn branches and blackberry leaves

ah144

Warren Scout
are hawthorn branches safe for buns to eat?? and do the spikes on wild blackberry leaves not hurt their mouths?

Mine eat the leaves from the thorny stalks ( whats left are like prickly crows feet) and leave them on the floor to get hooked up in my socks:shock:
I have always found my bunnies pefectly able to cope with bramble leaves, and they are a good natural food source.:)

I remove the thorns from both before feeding as my buns are unable to cope wtih them and I would not want to risk a pierced/ulcerated tongue/gums.

Our buns practically live on blackberry leaves and branches (shoots in fact) during Jan/Feb when there is little else wild.

They not only cope well with the tiny prickles on the leaves but also specifically chew at the huge thorns on the huge old shoots.

Blackberry plants are very very deep rooted and thus bring up a range of nutrients from deep down in the ground. They are very good or buns.

Hawthorns my buns are less keen on even when young shoots.

thanks for replys, mine really love hawthorn leaves so wondered if the branches were safe for them, how do they manage the blackberry leaves with the spikes on? prettylupin thats what i was worried about the spikes causing cuts in their mouths. I picked some today but did'nt know if i had to cut the leaves away from the spikey bits, would'nt be much left if i did....it is amazing how some buns eat the leaves with the spikes on!!! parsnipbun how is Hawthorn today??

Last edited:
Back