• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail Clipping...Advice needed

sugarlump

Alpha Buck
hi, :wave:Can anyone give me some tips on how to clip the buns nails?
Ive tried quite a few times with no success.

Thought i'd try Peppa first as she is the more laid back of the two,she hops on my lap for a fuss, I pick up a paw and shes off.
Sugar, well i've got no chance, shes never still..Always running, binkying around
Any advice would be much appreciated. :D

I dont know if this'll help at all but I have had a poorly bun and have had to feed him liquid food and medicine and the vet told me to wrap him up in a towel to stop him kicking out. It has worked a treat.
I'm wondering if you could get some one to hold them wrapped up in a towel and you could just do one foot at a time?
As for the actual procedure - I know you musnt cut into the coloured part of the nail (the quick?). If you do it bleeds so I've heard. I've watched the vet do it and my friend told me but as yet I havnt done it myself.
If you are unsure, I'm sure your local vets practice will have a nurse that can do it for you. :)

If you are unsure, you could book an appointment with the vet nurse and ask them to show you on one side of your rabbit and then get them to supervise you on the other side/

Another option is if you have someone near you from here who is competent in clipping nails and could show you..

Thanks for your advice both of you.:)

Helen from The Rabbit Crossing said she would show me how to do it when I go to visit her, if I couldn't do it myself. I think I might wait until she has shown me, as I dont want to stress the girls out, by keep trying.
Not until I fell more confident anyway.

you can buy this gadget in p@h that files the nails.you put the nail in and it files it down without cutting the quick.of i wrap the bun in a towel and get someone to hold them while i cut the nails , you can shine a light under the nail so that you can see the quick and know where to cut:D

Take them into a room they haven't been, somewhere they will not be comfortable running away from you. I sit on the floor with a bun in my lap. I then do the paws on the side that is furthest away from me, turn the bun around and do the other side :)

we didnt know how to do it either, so watched a few videos on youtube, our rabbits pretty much let you do anything to them without much fuss, which helped obviously :)

you can buy this gadget in p@h that files the nails.you put the nail in and it files it down without cutting the quick.of i wrap the bun in a towel and get someone to hold them while i cut the nails , you can shine a light under the nail so that you can see the quick and know where to cut:D

Excellent idea!! We are going to attempt to cut Cookies nails tonight and will definatly do this!!

Back