• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser had his myxi booster today ...

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
... and I made tentative questions about neutering. It is hard for me to justify this to family and friends (not very rabbit-savvy here)especially as he's single and has never shown any of the classic hormonal symptoms. The vet said he could be done, but as he was an outdoor bun it would be better to wait for better weather, or I would have to keep him indoors for a few days (this would be problematic). I expect they don't do that much rabbit surgery (because of lack of demand in the area), but she was quite reassuring about castration generally being quite routine surgery and also about small animal anaesthesia having come on a lot.

I like my vet - she is good with Spenser, much nicer than the emergency vet we saw last month. :)

I agree with that, all non necessary ops should be done in the warmer weather. So maybe wait until about April and then reassess. By then you might be seeing his hormones anyway :lol:

It would make life a lot easier to have him done next spring ... but surely if he's not hormonal at over a year old, he's maybe just a bit undersexed?

Grimlock didn't start until later on. I had him neutered at about one and half to two years old. :)

The Dudster took it all in his stride... prob the wrong phrase to use :lol: Apart from the GA bit, the recovery is nothing compared to having a doe spayed! But Id wait till the Spring that's when the hormones kick in even for the neutered buns!!!

glad his myxi went well

when locks went in for his neuter, he thought it was a day out he loved evry minute of it didn't even know he had surgery and was nosying around at everyone and begging for cuddles :lol: they all loved him they said he was soo funny

When did you get Spenser? and how old was he then?

I got Spenser in April, when he was about 7 months old, so he is probably just over a year old. Hi previous owner was so particular about a suitable home and accomodation for her bunnies that I was quite taken aback when she said she only neutered if bonding. I didn't want to go to a breeder, and given my location and the fact I don't drive rehoming locally was really the best option.

I got Spenser in April, when he was about 7 months old, so he is probably just over a year old. Hi previous owner was so particular about a suitable home and accomodation for her bunnies that I was quite taken aback when she said she only neutered if bonding. I didn't want to go to a breeder, and given my location and the fact I don't drive rehoming locally was really the best option.

Its very possible that come spring he might change completely, given you haven't seen him properly through a breeding season yet.

Its very possible that come spring he might change completely, given you haven't seen him properly through a breeding season yet.

It would make the decision easier as I think it would be unfair for him to have the frustration my friend's bunny went through.

Back