• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Repeat scripts for buns on long-term meds.

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering what those of you who have buns on long term meds, particularly NSAID's, have in terms of arrangements for repeat prescriptions?

Having not been in this position before i'm feeling a bit frustrated as rang the vets yesterday to order a new bottle of Meloxidyl for Nino so that I could pick it up tomorrow or Sat as we are running very low, only to receive a phone call just now to say it was a 3 month script and they would need to see him again before re-issuing. Now I get why, insurance, prof conduct, not being negligent etc but I really don't see in this case why it's at all necessary?
Nino only had his renal/liver function tests done about a two months ago - all good and my reg vet (who is not in today) does not want to repeat them now for 6 months.
Bun has ongoing chronic early onset OA - it's not like it's going to disappear overnight, and it's not like one of the vets, if I did take him in, would be able to tell just by looking at him that 1. he still needs the meds, and 2. what his kidney/liver function is like.... so why can't they just issue the repeat....argggh!

I now have to wait until Monday for my reg vet to be in so I can discuss this with him on the phone. I have a feeling I put their back up a little by saying this is what I would do, and as my vet issued the script originally, i'm not subjecting my ileus prone bun (plus bonded partner) to an unncessary trip unless it is on his say so. So now i'm running low on meloxidyl cos i'm being a stubborn client :roll::oops:

What sort of long-term script setup do the rest of you have for ongoing chronic conditions?

I just call the vets and as long as he has been seen within the past 6 months they are happy to prescribe. 3 months, in my eyes, is pretty quick for a repeat prescription. If Nino has been seen within the last three months, does that count? Or does it have to be another new appointment specifically for meds?

I just call the vets and as long as he has been seen within the past 6 months they are happy to prescribe. 3 months, in my eyes, is pretty quick for a repeat prescription. If Nino has been seen within the last three months, does that count? Or does it have to be another new appointment specifically for meds?

This apparently.:roll:

I asked if they had asked my vet about this first and the answer was no, he's not here today. This would be our 3rd script as he's been on the meloxidyl for 6 months now, the first one was 3 months because we were initially trialling his response and had a renal/liver function test lined up for the end of that, which he passed with flying colours. Have no idea then why my vet only wrote out another 3 month script unless that is the max they are allowed to do at their clinic? He's always such a busy man so probably hadn't thought it through or maybe he suspected he would need another review in 3 months (more bloods) but he didn't and now i'm stuck cos he's not in until Monday....grrrr! :roll:
I do have enough left.....just!, if I didn't I'd take him over but with it being a half hour trip each way i'm not doing it just to please whoever it was that phoned me! Rant over :D

How very, very strange.

I don't even have anything to suggest other than that seems a bit pedantic to be honest. Especially if Nino has been seen in the past three months anyway.

How very, very strange.

I don't even have anything to suggest other than that seems a bit pedantic to be honest. Especially if Nino has been seen in the past three months anyway.

I quite agree. I was wondering if they wanted to see him to prove he was still alive and they weren't issuing prescription medication to a non-existant rabbit or for me for my personal use! :lol:

I just rang hubby and told him and he reckons I should ask if a photo emailed of Nino reading today's paper would suffice! :lol::lol:

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks it's a bit ridiculous! I'm feeling quite cross :evil:

My Vet has given me a repeat prescription for 6 months of Metacam and I buy it here

http://www.vetmedsplus.co.uk/mm5/me...arch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

My Vet did not charge me for writing the prescription.

Thanks Jane. I will be speaking to my vet on Monday about this cos i'm not going through it every 3 blimmin' months!

We have thought about doing it this way - written script faxed to online store to save money. This time will have to buy a bottle as desperately running out, but I might well follow this link for the next time, thank you :)

Thanks Jane. I will be speaking to my vet on Monday about this cos i'm not going through it every 3 blimmin' months!

We have thought about doing it this way - written script faxed to online store to save money. This time will have to buy a bottle as desperately running out, but I might well follow this link for the next time, thank you :)

Metacam lasts 6 months when the bottle has been opened. Could you get a 32ml bottle to make it last longer so its not running out every three months? That's if the 10ml bottle lasts you the full 3 months.

Metacam lasts 6 months when the bottle has been opened. Could you get a 32ml bottle to make it last longer so its not running out every three months? That's if the 10ml bottle lasts you the full 3 months.

It is the 32ml bottle! :shock: He's knocking it back! :lol:

Actually he's on a 0.2ml/kg dose so lowest end of spectrum. Tried to lower it but he started back with ileus again :cry:

ETA let's work this out.
0.3ml per day.
7 days a week = 2.1ml per week x 4 = 8.4ml per month x 3 = 32ml+ atleast right? Thank god for that I thought i'd been overdosing him! :shock:

It is the 32ml bottle! :shock: He's knocking it back! :lol:

Actually he's on a 0.2ml/kg dose so lowest end of spectrum. Tried to lower it but he started back with ileus again :cry:

ETA let's work this out.
0.3ml per day.
7 days a week = 2.1ml per week x 4 = 8.4ml per month x 3 = 32ml+ atleast right? Thank god for that I thought i'd been overdosing him! :shock:

Ok then, so the next size up. They do four different sizes so there is scope for getting a bigger bottle.

Ok then, so the next size up. They do four different sizes so there is scope for getting a bigger bottle.

I need to get a bigger bottle online I think. The 32ml bottle is around £30 as it is! :shock: Not to mention his glucosamine at around the same price... he's becoming an expensive bunny! :D

My parents dog is on life long heart meds now - they explained to the vet that he gets very stressed in the car/going in to see the vet & they now give him 6 montly repeat presciptions so my parents can buy his meds online (at less than half the price the vets would charge :shock:) If his tablets ever run out after his scrip has ran out they always issue a couple to tide him over until he can be seen by the vet so he doesn't go without. I would deffinately speak to your regular vet & explain the situation. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Lots of love to Nino :wave:

Last edited:
Our vets usually ask to see an animal on repeat prescriptions every 6 months, its a legal requirement, even if you are getting a prescription and buying it off the internet. You can get 100 ml and 180 ml bottles of metacam although I doubt if they would sell a 180 bottle for a rabbit ( it would last ages and they would want to see the rabbit sooner). Seems strange to be asking you back so soon, and I assume you will be charged another consult fee :?.

Our vets usually ask to see an animal on repeat prescriptions every 6 months, its a legal requirement, even if you are getting a prescription and buying it off the internet. You can get 100 ml and 180 ml bottles of metacam although I doubt if they would sell a 180 bottle for a rabbit ( it would last ages and they would want to see the rabbit sooner). Seems strange to be asking you back so soon, and I assume you will be charged another consult fee :?.

I hadn't thought of that at all! :shock: Right.. I really am going to insist on a blimmin' good reason before I drag them both down there, they only saw him a few months back anyway. I had a feeling 6 months was the legal requirement for them issuing repeat scripts.. I shall be speaking to my vet on Monday hopefully unless I can't squeeze any more out of the bottle - otherwise i'll be making a fuss over the phone! :lol:

180ml bottle - what does that look like! :shock::lol:

Thank you Hugbut :D Nino sends his love back :wave:

I hope you get it sorted with your vet and don't have to drag poor Nino in if he doesn't really need to go. Please give him nosey rubs from me xxxxx

I can't get over how cheap Metacam is online compared to at the vet!!!:shock:

I hope you get it sorted with your vet and don't have to drag poor Nino in if he doesn't really need to go. Please give him nosey rubs from me xxxxx

I can't get over how cheap Metacam is online compared to at the vet!!!:shock:

Thank you.:D

Nino would say thank you for the nosey rubs but he's an antisocial little turd sometimes and just clicked at me and hopped off! :roll::lol:

Yep - they like to mark up their prices at the vet clinics :shock:

BORED :roll:

Waiting for my vet to call back after morning admissions before he starts surgery. Desperate to get in the shower and get dressed but you can guarantee the minute I do the phone will ring :roll:

Literally dregs of the bottle now - really need to be able to collect some today. Hope he remembers to call me back!

No point to this... just bored and waiting.....:oops:

Did you hear back?

Thanks Binkybun - yep all sorted! :D

Didn't hear back all day so phoned them again around half 4 and left another message, a vet nurse called me back to say my vet had put some more meloxidyl aside for me to come and collect and would call me later for a chat. We didn't make it over there til closing time so ended up having a chat with my vet at the end of his consults. It was his new protocol of restricting his other vets, he's the director, from doing repeats longer than 3 months without checking with him first (which is what we guessed really), so they weren't allowed to issue it. He didn't need to see Nino, just wanted to chat about his progress, but as all is well and recent bloods fine so he's now happy to issue 6 monthly scripts which he obviously has to do by law. It was a just a in-house safety thing he'd implemented.

(He's also shaved his moustache off (at last!) and now looks rather cute :oops::lol:

Back