• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frasier - Ear infection or Epilepsy - Confliting Vets so confused!! U/D 3 Nov 17:40pm

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Back from vets with Frasier. He has an ear infection:( She said we got it really early as there was not too much puss in there yet. He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is eating pooing etc fine. She did a culture test, the results of which will be back next week. This will tell us what has caused the infection, pasturella etc. For now Frasier is on Baytril twice a day.

He was such a good brave bunny. My vet says what I saw was probably his first fit due to the infection. So lucky I saw it and he hasn't had once since (touch wood).

She gave him a thorough check and said he is really good condition for his age which is relief and nice to hear.

Please send all your spare vibes to my brave boy xx

Last edited:
Is he on metacam too?
Also metronidiazole, with Baytril, helps with ear infections.
Is she starting with a short dose of Baytril first?

Is he on metacam too?
Also metronidiazole, with Baytril, helps with ear infections.
Is she starting with a short dose of Baytril first?

She said we are starting on a week's worth of Baytril, no metacam as he is not in any pain but will add other drugs next week once we've got the results back from the culture and know exactly what the infection is/caused it.

Vibes for your specail boy.:wave: How does he take the baytril? Apparently it tastes vile. I disguised Spenser's in curly kale, his favourite veg (which he only gets as a treat due to its calcium content).

Vibes for your specail boy.:wave: How does he take the baytril? Apparently it tastes vile. I disguised Spenser's in curly kale, his favourite veg (which he only gets as a treat due to its calcium content).

Thanks for the vibes. I'm so lucky with Frasier. He is such a good boy with his meds he just lets me syringe it into his mouth. I can't hide it in veg as Annie might run off with it - she does that sometimes when I'm feeding them even though she knows I'got the same food for her too.

Its good you had a culture. I hope that will allow him to get onto an antibiotic that is effect for ear infections (because baytril rarely is, but might be a good 'holding measure').

I hope he feels better soon.

It worries me greatly when a vet says a bunny is not in pain. This is a completely subjective judgement in a prey species such as a rabbit. I can tell you that ear infection (pus in an enclosed space with restricted space for expansion causes severe pressure pain as it would in any sinus or hollow cavity in the skull) is extremely painful. Pain slows the gut and lowers WBC count needed to fight the infection.
This article might help:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

Personally I woud be insisting on anti-inflammatory pain relief unless there are clear contraindications in your rabbit.

It worries me greatly when a vet says a bunny is not in pain. This is a completely subjective judgement in a prey species such as a rabbit. I can tell you that ear infection (pus in an enclosed space with restricted space for expansion causes severe pressure pain as it would in any sinus or hollow cavity in the skull) is extremely painful. Pain slows the gut and lowers WBC count needed to fight the infection.
This article might help:

Personally I woud be insisting on anti-inflammatory pain relief unless there are clear contraindications in your rabbit.

Thanks for that link. The pain symptoms/behavious are not happening with Frasier at the moment. He is moving around like normal (jumping up on the bed via a step) eating, drinking and pooing (nice big ones) and still has interest in his surroundings. He just followed me to the kitchen! He still plays with his toys too. So at this stage I think my vet was right - although I do wonder if anti-inflam effect of metacam would be good for the ear. But then surely my vet would have prescribed it?

Some vets dont really prescribe metacam unless pushed to do so.

Vibes for your wee man xx

Some vets dont really prescribe metacam unless pushed to do so.

Vibes for your wee man xx

This.

Yes the anti-inflammatories for the inflammation would of course be very helpful.

I have known buns in pain to continue to eat through the pain and behave normally, processes happening inside are a different story despite what is witnessed on the outside, but that's just my experience and opinion.

Put it this way - if I had a raging ear infection significant enough to producing pus in my ear I would be hitting the ibuprofen!

Last edited:
This.

Yes the anti-inflammatories for the inflammation would of course be very helpful.

I have known buns in pain to continue to eat through the pain and behave normally, processes happening inside are a different story despite what is witnessed on the outside, but that's just my experience and opinion.

Put it this way - if I had a raging ear infection significant enough to producing pus in my ear I would be hitting the ibuprofen!

You're so right - putting it that way. I wish I'd pushed at the time but I just trust her. I'm phoning them right now and see if she can prescribe some for me now and I'll go pick it up. Thanks xxx

Ok just spoke with reception. My vet is in a consultation but the receptionist took my message and will it on. They will call me back when its ready for collection.

Frasier really doesn't seem like he is in pain but I don't want to run the risk. I can't bear the thought of him in pain or getting worse because I didn't push for the right meds.:cry:

Ok just spoke with reception. My vet is in a consultation but the receptionist took my message and will it on. They will call me back when its ready for collection.

Frasier really doesn't seem like he is in pain but I don't want to run the risk. I can't bear the thought of him in pain or getting worse because I didn't push for the right meds.:cry:

It's ok for your vet to be cautious. Unnecessary prescribing can do more harm than good, as with any species, us included, it's always best to keep medication to a minimum, but under the circumstances considering that he does have a visible infection in his ear I would have thought it would be prudent to prescribe pain relief, even at a low dose if they are concerned about renal/liver function. Some vets are more cautious than others. Atleast have a chat to them about it and air your concerns. :)

This article might help:

I agree with this.
Although Daisy had a severe ear infection, she has coped with 0.6-1 ml of metacam daily for two years and, along with the Baytril and metronidazole and it gave her the additional two years.

Even with a "mild" ear infection, I would still expect metacam.

Good luck with this Romy.

Last edited:
I agree with this.
Although Daisy had a severe ear infection, she has coped with 0.6-1 ml of metacam daily for two years and, along with the Baytril and metronidazole and it gave her the additional two years.

Even with a "mild" ear infection, I would still expect metacam.

Good luck with this Romy.

Thanks Raine. I had no idea an ear infection could last so long! Poor Daisy. Just waiting for the call.

My vet also mentioned that Frasier's other ear had quite a bit of wax. I asked if this needed treating but she said for now just treat the infected ear.

Okay vet phoned me back and said that the reason she didn't want to prescribe Metacam was because of Frasier's age and that it can cause kidney/liver problems. She did however say that Metacam is pretty safe so would let me have a small amount of it as Frasier isn't showing signs of pain. I've given Frasier his baytril and metacam just now and a treat to wash it down with - he is such a good boy. But the bottle of Metacam she gave me is the TINIEST I have ever seen of it - its only 3ml!!!!! It cost £31!! I don't begrudge this as I would give everything for my rabbits to be pain-free and healthy but this seems really steep for such a tiny bottle - I'm sure I've paid the same for the normal larger bottle.

She also wants to do something called a "Senior Profile" which is a blood test to check all his organs and everything is running fine now he is older. Although she did admit again that she thinks Frasier is in very good condition for his age. I think she wanted to wait to do this before giving me the metacam but I really wanted to get it tonight. I've agreed to doing a senior profile next week after we have found out what the culture results are for his ear infection.

Okay vet phoned me back and said that the reason she didn't want to prescribe Metacam was because of Frasier's age and that it can cause kidney/liver problems. She did however say that Metacam is pretty safe so would let me have a small amount of it as Frasier isn't showing signs of pain. I've given Frasier his baytril and metacam just now and a treat to wash it down with - he is such a good boy. But the bottle of Metacam she gave me is the TINIEST I have ever seen of it - its only 3ml!!!!! It cost £31!! I don't begrudge this as I would give everything for my rabbits to be pain-free and healthy but this seems really steep for such a tiny bottle - I'm sure I've paid the same for the normal larger bottle.

She also wants to do something called a "Senior Profile" which is a blood test to check all his organs and everything is running fine now he is older. Although she did admit again that she thinks Frasier is in very good condition for his age. I think she wanted to wait to do this before giving me the metacam but I really wanted to get it tonight. I've agreed to doing a senior profile next week after we have found out what the culture results are for his ear infection.

Somebody has made a mistake. My 32ml bottles cost £30 from the vet and is only half that if bought online. £31 for a 3ml bottle!!!! :shock::shock: are you sure? Someone has tapped the wrong key on the keyboard me thinks (receptionist not you!) ... I would be questioning that immediately!

Somebody has made a mistake. My 32ml bottles cost £30 from the vet and is only half that if bought online. £31 for a 3ml bottle!!!! :shock::shock: are you sure? Someone has tapped the wrong key on the keyboard me thinks (receptionist not you!) ... I would be questioning that immediately!

I was shocked at the time! I might just phone them now and check

Back