• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on taking a new mum to the vets - final UD

lisa.41

Young Bun
tinkerbell has 1 baby aged 3 weeks tomorrow, obviously weve been feeding her plenty recently and i noticed last night she hadnt eaton much, again this morning most of her food was left in her bowl and i cannot see much poo since she was cleaned out tuesday, i also havent observed her drinking, ive just taken her her favorite greens and she ate them no probs, should i go by her more so she is eating something?

6 months ago i had to take her 2 the vets and she had spurrs removed from her back teeth, it also took painkillers x 2 and fiberplex to get her pooing again, im worried ill probably have to take her to the vets, but 1 im not overly confidant with the vets i used, should the above have cost £130 over 2 visits and also what about the baby, do i leave it alone or take it with her ?

Last edited:
I think your bunny needs to see a vet today. With feeding she will soon become run down (sooner than normal).

I would suggest putting the baby in a nest box (say a shoe box) with the nest and the baby in the middle and take it in a separate carrier, but that means that whatever the outcome, you can be flexible with the baby.

Maybe post in Rabbit Chat and ask for a recommended vet in your area.

The cost of things differ practice to practice. Obviously an out of hours emergency appointment would cost more, etc. For a dental I yesterday paid £77, and then for a specific appointment and meds I would pay about £20 plus medication, so that would be in the lower end of £100, but into it, so not far from what you pair, I don't think.

ive posted in chat, hopefully someone will be able to help, was wondering if your rabbit has had previos dental or/and stasis probs is it more likely to happen again in the future or would this just be bad luck,

would you recommend its best to give her more greens so shes eating something, or would this not be the best idea, thx

Whatever she is used to eating is fine. Its important to keep her eating and if she can tolerate and is willing to eat the greens then go for it.

Yes, if a bunny has had one dental, they are likely to need another, although the time frame between dentals will vary bunny to bunny.

ok for a start ill go out and get some more as shes had the last this morning, the only other thing id noticed a few days ago was a slight grinding noise while fussing her, but as it was on and off, off yesterday i was waiting for other signs, as everything else was ok at that point, hoping she was actually fine, thx again

ok for a start ill go out and get some more as shes had the last this morning, the only other thing id noticed a few days ago was a slight grinding noise while fussing her, but as it was on and off, off yesterday i was waiting for other signs, as everything else was ok at that point, hoping she was actually fine, thx again

Grinding teeth is an indication of pain. Chattering can be stress, or pain.

There is something called a 'tooth purr' which is more of a vibrationy experience which is a sign of bliss and often happens when they are being stroked or are just very happy, so that may or may not be related at all.

ETA- a lot of people say not to feed babies fresh foods and to be careful if you're feeding them to mum, but it seems to be that if the baby is getting fed from mum, then seems to get some immunity or tolerance through the milk to the fresh and so can tolerate it, especially when such a little baby will only eat teeny weeny amounts.

would probably go with being happy then as it was when she was being stroked each time i heard it and it didnt happen yesterday or today.

well ive just been and spend 30 mins with her, she ate the salad leaves straight from my hand and some hanging through the wire while i was there so thats ok anyway, she also had a tidy bit of hay while i was watching as well.
checked on the baby so it decided to have a wander out for 5 mins, mum was very attentive giving it a little clean and i also saw it eating a little hay as well, it keeps taking notice of the food dish but hasnt ate any of it yet lol.

i did try and have a feel of her belly but she wasnt keen as shes feeding her baby still though maybe that could be why ?

if i was to bring her in for a while later so i could make sure shes definatly not pooing, how long would be safe, thinking about the temerature change and her being moved away from baby a while

Its good she is eating.

Her and her baby sound so :love::love::love::love::love:

She'll be fine away from baby. In the wild they would leave them in the burrow and only return to feed.

Temperature wise, I wouldn't bring her in for long. Putting her in a run outside might be better.

Her nipples will probably be sore, so I would not try to touch her belly, just wait for the vet to do that.

I think you do need to take her because she is already vulnerable and needs to be 100% ok to look after her baby, so any sign of anything wrong and she needs to go.

I think you do need to take her because she is already vulnerable and needs to be 100% ok to look after her baby, so any sign of anything wrong and she needs to go.

i no i completely agree and thankyou for all your advise i really appreciate it, problem i have is convincing my OH we need to take her, have rung him at work and first reaction is how can we take her when we dont have any money other than petrol and food money, hes not a bad person and we no our pets are our responsibility etc and do our best by them, but this month we literally have nothing left, he also knows it cost us £130 last time,
im thinking if i can be sure shes not pooing or see anything more than i have i can convince him we must go and ask his teenage daughter to borrow us the money for a few weeks, which she would gladly do.

as soon as hes home from work ill be able to talk to him properly.

yes i am going to keep the baby, my OH has just built a large 3 story hutch, currently 3 individual as my rabbits need spaying/neut, but the idea is to have them done and then put ramps in, by original 2 are very close but have been seperated in their run by mesh, they happyly lie together and play running up and down, nudging each other etc, so would like them to be able to be together properly

the hutch had to be done as they were in 3ft hutches, we did let let have plenty of time in the garden, but still was very wrong, cant understand why they are made in the first place, but they were inherited from their previous owner

Do you think your girlie could be pregnant again? I can't remember when you separated the buck.

Unfortunately, I would advise that you re-consider keeping the kit, if you are unable to afford the veterinary fess for your doe/ other rabbits. It is plausible that your doe may require on-going dental work/ suffer re-occurring bouts of stasis. It is also plausible, due to her breeding, the kit may be predisposed to the same issues as her mother. However, this is my opinion.

I do not wish to cause any offence, or upset. However, I do want what is best for your rabbits, and yourself. In regards to finances, I have found myself in a similar situation to yourself, and would not like to repeat the experience, or re-visit the emotions I experienced at that time.

Your rabbit’s new accommodation sounds incredible.

Please keep us updated. Best and warmest wishes.

Do you think your girlie could be pregnant again? I can't remember when you separated the buck.

i dont think so as they were kept seperate and it was an accident that they got together, but on the other hand there could be the slimest of chances i guess,

ive checked her again and her dry food is half pellet and half the type that has flakes in etc, there were flakes on top and it looks like shes picked them out, ive given her more greens and they were aeton straight away, unlike our boy who uses a litter tray she poos everywhere and ive had a really good look and it is possible that because i have given her loads more hay than normal, that its just looks alot less cos its mixed up in it, still not sure shes drinking though.
she seems herself though and ive given her a piece of wood to play with, which shes happily chewing and throwing around.
something she is doin different to normal is digging at her hay and like lifting it up if you get me.
the baby has been wandering out lots today and looks very well, does keep trying to get under mum though

i dont think so as they were kept seperate and it was an accident that they got together, but on the other hand there could be the slimest of chances i guess,

ive checked her again and her dry food is half pellet and half the type that has flakes in etc, there were flakes on top and it looks like shes picked them out, ive given her more greens and they were aeton straight away, unlike our boy who uses a litter tray she poos everywhere and ive had a really good look and it is possible that because i have given her loads more hay than normal, that its just looks alot less cos its mixed up in it, still not sure shes drinking though.
she seems herself though and ive given her a piece of wood to play with, which shes happily chewing and throwing around.
something she is doin different to normal is digging at her hay and like lifting it up if you get me.
the baby has been wandering out lots today and looks very well, does keep trying to get under mum though

Phew, ok. I just wondered whether at three weeks her body might start to look towards the next pregnancy, but hopefully not.

I would suggest giving her a good clean out or everything apart from babie snest and then see.

The hay behaviour is quite normal for a mum with a baby. That's likely to be nothing to worry about at all.

If you do decide to rehome the baby you do need to find someone who will take on a dental bunny, so do be aware of that, and if you do keep it, it is likely to have dental problems itself.

regards keeping the new baby, i do understand what your saying and your points are very valid,
like alot of people where struggling at the moment a bit more than usual and we dont have any savings, although we both work and so does our teenager as well as going to college.
last week we spent £150 on wood etc and built a new 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot cage, so now were broke until we can get a bit more together, i have to save now to get them spayed etc so they can live together, all im saying is that until im more sure theres a problem i really cant go to the vets, dont get me wrong if i have to i will, agreed thats not ideal, but had they stayed were they were, our girl would have died 6 months ago as her owner probably wouldnt have even noticed she needed treatment and certanly wouldnt have paid for it.

were working hard to get out our situation and are managing now but soon things will be better, if i thought different i would rehome the baby for definate

Last edited:
If you do decide to rehome the baby you do need to find someone who will take on a dental bunny, so do be aware of that, and if you do keep it, it is likely to have dental problems itself.

i thought rabbits dental problems stemmed from rabbits not having the correct diet things to chew etc :oops:, and the stasis problem i blamed the previous owner as they got huge free bags of shredded paper and she loved eating it much more than her hay, she must have ate bags and bags of it

There are many factors that play a part in dental problems, but poor diet and bad genetics are the two biggest culprits (but ny no means the be all and end all of reasons).

just to keep you updated all seems well this morning, mum and baby both full of energy and mum couldnt eat her pellets fast enough this morning :D, will keep a close eye on them the rest of the day but very relieved shes eating this morning

Back