• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

German Lop Rabbit

carlee88

New Kit
I had a female german lop rabbit yesterday and her hutch is outside, as it is really cold i put a blanket over in the night, i was wonderering would she be ok if i bought her in the warm in the day and back in her hutch at night? i wasnt sure if she'd like like the change between hot and cold eeryday, is it safe?? :?:?:?

Hiya Welcome to RU

As your bunny is new, was he/she an indoor or outdoor bunny before? As if he was indoors your bun won't have developed a winter coat and as the temps are now dropping it coud be too cold for him outdoors. Could he be a house bunny until spring next year...then put him outdoors, he can aclimatise to the outdoor environment that way and develop a coat for the winter ahead.

In answer to your question, I would not keep switching your bun indoors/outdoors, as they can't regulate their body temp...decide whether he'll be an indoor or outdoor bun and leave it as that, if he was previously an outdoor bun he'll have developed a winter coat, extra straw in his bed wil keep him cosy. Buns can tolerate the cold better than the heat :D:D

That wouldn't be healthy for her.

However, would it be an option to have her as a house rabbit over winter and move her out during spring (about April/May)?

Thanks for the reply :wave: she was in a yard in a outside cupboard/shed type room so im guessing it wasnt really cold out there, i was really worried bout her being outside last night so i think i am going to have to get her inside as i dont want her getting cold n anything happening to her. Thankyou, you have really helped xx :)

Thanks for the reply :wave: she was in a yard in a outside cupboard/shed type room so im guessing it wasnt really cold out there, i was really worried bout her being outside last night so i think i am going to have to get her inside as i dont want her getting cold n anything happening to her. Thankyou, you have really helped xx :)

Aaaw a cuddly house bunny :love: or if you get her neutered she could have a husbun for company that way they can snugge up and keep each other warm. There are lots of rescues on here, with buns who need forever homes ;) :D

Back