• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a rabbit be too dominant in a bonding process?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
My baby holland Lucy is dominating my older buck Bentley, who's neutered. He just likes on his stomach, feet stretched out and lets him hump her, doesn't even get annoyed but we do push her off. He will run away from her and the first bonding process was mostly Bentley running away and Lucy chasing him, but with no aggression, just humping. Bentley then ignored her and cleaned himself, but did not want to be humped, but was very submissive which is unlike him. Is she being too dominant and should I try and help Bentley not get pushed around as much? He seemed not hurt after but he was on edge, breathing rapidly.

*please don't comment on off topic subjects to do with them, this always seems to happen and I never get my questions answered :lol:

Is Lucy neutered? If she is not I would stop the bonding process until she has been and then leave her for at least 4 weeks after this before attempting to bond again.

For some rabbits persistent humping can occur and as long as the other rabbit tolerates it is better to let the rabbits sort out their hierachy. The more you interfere the longer the bond will take as my constantly pulling them apart only delays this bond. They need to sort out their hierachy and this is often one way for them to do this.

If it was a male who was doing the humping you need to keep an eye to ensure that they dont get sore.

Back