• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay or spey?

willowholly

Mama Doe
I notice some people spell it one way & others spell it another.Which is the correct way?Rabbiting on spell it spey,internet spells it spay.Is it like an american spelling like grey/gray or can some people just not spell?!!:lol:

All the vets in my area use 'spay' apart from the negligent vets who say 'spey'. Enough for me.

I've always thought the correct spelling was spay

Spayed would sound like spayed, but surely speyed would be pronounced as if the word 'eye' was in it?

Erm, I do whichever I feel like at the time. :lol:

Spay
Spey

Well my inbuilt checked hasn't flagged either so I guess it doesn't matter.

OK Mac dictionary thing says...

spay |spā|
verb [ trans. ] (usu. be spayed)
sterilize (a female animal) by removing the ovaries : the animals must be spayed or neutered before they are given up for adoption.
ORIGIN late Middle English : shortening of Old French espeer ‘cut with a sword,’ from espee ‘sword,’ from Latin spatha (see spathe ).

Spey |spā|
a river in east central Scotland. Rising in the Grampian Mountains east of the Great Glen, it flows 108 mi. (171 km.) northeast to the North Sea.

So I guess it's spay.

Guess i've always been wrong :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spey (speɪ)

— n
a river in E Scotland, flowing generally northeast through the Grampian Mountains to the Moray Firth: salmon fishing; parts of the surrounding area ( Speyside ) are famous for whisky distilleries. Length: 172 km (107 miles)

Erm, I do whichever I feel like at the time. :lol:

Spay
Spey

Well my inbuilt checked hasn't flagged either so I guess it doesn't matter.

OK Mac dictionary thing says...

So I guess it's spay.

Lol - didnt see your post before i posted! :oops::lol:

I see none of us have a clue!:lol:Ive always used spay until was reading an old RO today,then changed it to spey.Googled it,& it was spay so think will stick to that way!!:lol:

Back