• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit's urine help please

scott_369

New Kit
Hi sorry if this has already been posted / asked but i couldnt find it anywere, We have a rabbit and i have a question which is abit of a concern to me, im not sure if it is normal, to do with food, etc but iv noticed that our rabbit's urine seems to be an orange/red sort of colour and im unsure why or what it could mean, if anyone could help it would be realy appreciated.

Thanks

Have you been feeding your rabbit carrots? If so, it's nothing to worry about. My bunnies pee is always on a scale from a cloudy yellow through to very deep orange depending on how much carrot they've been eating.

Healthy rabbit wee ranges from clear to red, depending on what they have been eating.

Warning signs are sludgey, chalky wee, and also blood clots in the urine.

Thanks for the reply i gave him about 3 or 4 carrots about a week ago (first time he has had carrots before) do you think it may still be due to this?

As mentioned above, the colour of urine can vary greatly. My first rabbit constantly produced orange/ red urine, even when she had not consumed food that commonly produces urine of this colour.

Yes carrots can cause changes in urine, as can other foods, leaves also....I tend to just my buns a slice of carrot once a week...they also cotain lots of sugar and should be given as a treat really ;)

Back