• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seriously bored wild bunny! UPDATE

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Spudsey my wild bun appears to be extremely bored lately.....she has a tunnel (loves it), various chewy things (but prefers her hutch), treat balls etc but everytime I clean their hutch out she just pulls out all the newspaper and the hay and drags it off down the ramp. She does the same with her litter tray as soon as its cleaned out she pulls everything out.

I really need some ideas to make her life a bit more interesting...I understand that shes a wild bun (handreared from just a couple of days old) so she's a bit different to other buns and living in a normal hutch/run isn't the best for her but shes always been quite contented.

I've not got a huge amount of money to spare (probably about £40 ish) and have been looking at these tunnels that interchange (the green flexi ones) any good and if so where to buy?

Shes always scratching about in her tunnel so guess somewhere to mimic digging?

Any ideas most appreciated!

Last edited:
As she likes to rip things up maybe you could ask friends, relations to save old telephone directories for her, maybe get her a digging box, do you know anybody with an old sand pit they no longer want as you could fill this up with dirt and she could have a dig. Rabbits seem to love cardboard boxes which you can make into mazes etc, stuff toilet and kitchen roll tubes with hay and treats.

My wildies love apple tree branches...especially branches with lots of twigs coming off it, so they have to pull the branch into different positions to chew the bark off.

They do become less active in the winter but wouldn't she most appreciate a bunny friend?

Sorry forgot to mention that she has already got a bunny friend (ish!) been together for a few months but still not completely bonded, she seems to chase the poor thing!

As she likes to rip things up maybe you could ask friends, relations to save old telephone directories for her, maybe get her a digging box, do you know anybody with an old sand pit they no longer want as you could fill this up with dirt and she could have a dig. Rabbits seem to love cardboard boxes which you can make into mazes etc, stuff toilet and kitchen roll tubes with hay and treats.

I put an old yellow pages in there ages ago and they never touched it, and after a downpour it got soaked so I ended up taking it out again. I thought about cardboard boxes but do I need to cover them with something to stop them from getting wet?

I put an old yellow pages in there ages ago and they never touched it, and after a downpour it got soaked so I ended up taking it out again. I thought about cardboard boxes but do I need to cover them with something to stop them from getting wet?

Also with the digging, I'm imagining a run covered in soil! :oops:

Oh you must have forgotten to leave them with a mobile phone then :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't resist a little joke there :oops:

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit negative here :oops::oops: I do like the idea of a digging box but its taking me ages cleaning them out at the moment as it is as all the newspaper and hay is being pulled into the most awkward place to get to and I'm ending up on my hands and knees! Not great when its chucking it down with rain!

Do you mean these green tunnels?

DDabovegroundwarren.jpg

They are great because you can bend them in different directions, they're waterproof as they're plastic and if you get the connectors you can really go to town :D!

The tunnels you can get from various places but the connectors have been discontinued, there is only one place I know who still has them in stock!

http://www.deemillen.co.uk/index.php?cPath=195_112

Do you mean these green tunnels?

DDabovegroundwarren.jpg

They are great because you can bend them in different directions, they're waterproof as they're plastic and if you get the connectors you can really go to town :D!

The tunnels you can get from various places but the connectors have been discontinued, there is only one place I know who still has them in stock!

http://www.deemillen.co.uk/index.php?cPath=195_112

Yes! Love this photo of yours. How much did they cost for all that lot!?

I have a bunch of news papers and shreaded paper you can have some of :wave: instead of soil you could put shredded paper in a box :D

Recently I have been stuffing toilet rolls with veg. When I do the shake test, none of the veg moves so he has to completely destroy the tube before he can get to the food.

I found it this so much better than just putting abit of veg in and letting it rattle about because he managed to get to that in 5 seconds - whereas this he runs off with it and makes it his mission :lol:

Have you tried hanging boxes from the run ceiling? I stuffed the box with really nice hay and pellets and he went wild for that! (also kept me up half the night :lol:)

Ogs also has a log which I smother in banana sometimes. I also put veg and pellets in the log aswell so he has to work out how to get them out.

He also has a chewy log roll thing from p@h which he loves and keeps him occupied for ages :D.

With all his toys, I take them out of the hutch/room every few days so there is always a novel thing for him to get excited about.

Yes! Love this photo of yours. How much did they cost for all that lot!?

Thank you! Well I was fortunate to get a load of the green tunnels when Tesco did them for about £3 each!!! I have 3-4 more not in shot! The connectors are about £10 and the tunnels are usually the same! I think they are worth it tho because I change them all around every so often and the buns love them especially when they go into boxes as well. I also stuff a blanket in a tunnel and they love to dig it out! You can concertina the tunnels up to any length minimum about 12"s.

I have a bunch of news papers and shreaded paper you can have some of :wave: instead of soil you could put shredded paper in a box :D

:wave:Thats a good idea, I work in an office and can lay my hands on lots of shredded paper :D Have stopped madam from shifting any hay out of the bedroom this evening....put two cardboard boxes in there and shoved loads of hay inside both, so far all hay is remaining in the boxes!

Recently I have been stuffing toilet rolls with veg. When I do the shake test, none of the veg moves so he has to completely destroy the tube before he can get to the food.

I found it this so much better than just putting abit of veg in and letting it rattle about because he managed to get to that in 5 seconds - whereas this he runs off with it and makes it his mission :lol:

Have you tried hanging boxes from the run ceiling? I stuffed the box with really nice hay and pellets and he went wild for that! (also kept me up half the night :lol:)

Ogs also has a log which I smother in banana sometimes. I also put veg and pellets in the log aswell so he has to work out how to get them out.

He also has a chewy log roll thing from p@h which he loves and keeps him occupied for ages :D.

With all his toys, I take them out of the hutch/room every few days so there is always a novel thing for him to get excited about.

Some great ideas there thanks! Got them a hay ball thingy that hangs from the run but they haven't touched that either...

Thank you! Well I was fortunate to get a load of the green tunnels when Tesco did them for about £3 each!!! I have 3-4 more not in shot! The connectors are about £10 and the tunnels are usually the same! I think they are worth it tho because I change them all around every so often and the buns love them especially when they go into boxes as well. I also stuff a blanket in a tunnel and they love to dig it out! You can concertina the tunnels up to any length minimum about 12"s.

Gosh bargain! I think Spuds would really love it perhaps I will add bunny toys to my christmas list!

:wave:Thats a good idea, I work in an office and can lay my hands on lots of shredded paper :D Have stopped madam from shifting any hay out of the bedroom this evening....put two cardboard boxes in there and shoved loads of hay inside both, so far all hay is remaining in the boxes!

if you need any extra I think I only live round the corner, give me a shout :wave: yay for the hay staying put :thumb:

Last year my wildie was alone (his wife died 19th Dec last year) and he spent all winter in a self built nest. He did no destroying. He did nothing. He just sat. It broke my heart but his potential girlfriend was an indoor bunny and it was too early to bring her out and he wouldn't cope with being in.

He got his girlfriend in May and they trash the place, same as he did when he had other girlfriends. To me, when he is trashing stuff, he is happy, interested, full of life. He's not interested in any other toys. He likes to chew the hutch and trash the place and that makes him happy.

So maybe she is actually happy?

I would say chewy toys are important for a wildie.

The green tunnels are great but for a chewy bunny can easily be dessimated into millions of little, green, bite size bits. So be careful with that.

Back