• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello :)

DebbieLouise

Young Bun
:wave:
Im new here and so pleased iv found a bunny forum :D
I have a problem already though sorry...Well my mums got a 5year old male bunny. All of a sudden hes started rubbing himself on his cage and removing ALOT of his fur. Hes causing himself to have bold patchers and where hes not bold hes got like dry flaky skin :? ... Could there be a reason for his behaviour? Hes always been an indoor rabbit and always lived in the same place in the house. His food hasnt changed or anything. He still get all the attention he was given before. Im so stumped on why he would be doing this. Iv also got 4 bunnys of my own who live in a different part of the house and are all fine.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum.

Has the bunny had a vet check and a skin scraping done?

I would suspect he has maybe something like mites that is irritating him and making him itchy, which is making him scratchy and the fur is already coming out anyway.

I would keep him in strict quarantine and get him checked at the vets ASAP. Poor chap can't be very comfortable.

my rabbit had this before but he was biting it out. vet could not see anything but said it was either mites or dry skin that irritates them. i took him to vet and they rubbed ointment on him once a week for 3 weeks. worked a treat and came straight back in. he was about same age x

Welcome to the forum, DebbieLouise. I have only just joined the forum myself. You will find a wealth of invaluable advice on the forum, from knowledgeable and experienced individuals.

However, I would have to agree with the advice provided above.

Best and warmest wishes, RighteousRabbit aka Brett.

Last edited:
What you have described does sound like fur mites (Cheyletiella parasitovorax) but a trip to the vet to have a scraping taken and viewed under a microscope will be necessary to confirm. They are too small to be seen with the naked eye and need to be correctly identified to assess treatment.

A rabbit savvy vet will prescribe something like ivermectin either applied topically or subcutaneously. Frontline should never be used, it can cause fatalities in rabbits and Advantage is ineffective against cheyletiella mites. The last rabbit I had treated was with Revolution which I believe is the best treatment I have experienced.

Mites are not the only things that can cause fur loss and itching so it is best to have that vet visit to be sure of the problem.

Back