• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh noooooo :-( .... A hermaphrobunny!!!!!

beausaffie

Warren Scout
I sent my so called doe Saffie to go and get spayed today, ive just had a call from my vets expalining that she is actually a HE!!!! :roll:

His testicles never developed properly so they are now castrating him instead!!!

Now i feel i have a problem as i wanted a girl so i could bond her with my boy! Im quite gutted to be honest!

He looked to pretty to be a girl. There was a lot of confusion when i first got Saffie as the breeder and the vet found it really hard to tell. We just assumed she just had a big mini!!

Is is still possible to bond 2 boys? Beau is already castrated but im guessing i need to wait until Saff(HE)'s testosterone chills out before i try bonding them?

I feel like i need to re learn everything about keeping 2 boys rather than a girl and a boy now.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Advice is greatly apreciated right now.

Thanks for reading, Claire x

When we first got "HERCULES" we were assured that HE had been vet checked and was 100% a boy.
We booked him as soon as we could to be neutered so we go and get him a wife.
The vet does a health check up with the owners first then decides if he feels the bun is healthy enough to go ahead with the op which is where we found out Hercules was our little girly TONKS!! :roll:

Yeh i would have been none the wiser if i hadnt booked her in for a spay, got him castrated instead though!!

So does Tonks have a husbun now?

Ohhhh im still shocked after being told 3 times its a girl to find its a boy!!! Ha ha...

I had a similar situation with 5 babies in a foster litter.

You have a straight forward male by the sounds of it because of the undescended testicles. Males can bond, but really it depends on their personalities (same as any bond really), so don't immediately think its gone wrong.

I do have a hermaphrodite. She has a 'hint' of a penis and did have testicles but her penis was not 'complete' :lol:

She has 4 siblings. One was a boy with undescended bits, one was boy that appeared to be a girl for many months and then dropped two malformed testicles, one normal boy and one apparently normal girl (although we may find out more if we spay her- that's up for question given her health).

I feel your confusion!

Hello Sky-O!

Ok i will keep that in mind about the bonding and wont give up. They had a fight when i very first got them and it scared the life out of me, fur was everywhere! So i broke them up and keep them in seperate indoor cages next to each other.

Wow i was literally only joking about the hermaphrodite thing he he thats crazy! And she had babies, he he what a story that is!!! :lol:

How long should i give my newly castrated BOY until i start the bonding process?

Thank you for replying, at least i know that its not just me thats felt this confusion!

It was funny when the vet called and said '' Saffies op went well and HE will be ready to come home in a few hours'' Ha ha ha!!! x

I would say leave it about 6 weeks to give the hormones time to die down.

My hermaphrodite has 4 littermates and never got a chance to have babies, thankfully. However, jazzywoo on here says she had a bunny who mothered a litter, and then when bonded to another female dropped some testicles and fathered a litter and both bunnies fed and raised the babies together. Hows that for mindblowing!:lol:

Lovely thank you for the advice. :)

Oh ive got you! Sorry i got all confused silly me!

WOW now thats mental ha ha ha!!!!!! I would be REALLY confused ha ha ha!!!! All these bunny stories i love it!!! :D

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. I got Jake a 'female' companion, Violet, last year. They lived together for 10 months very happily and then they started to fight big time. I just didnt understand it until someone said that perhaps Violet was a boy. Sure enough I had a look and he was. Violet is now Sam and was castrated 2 months ago. I have tried to bond them but they keep tearing each other apart!! Literally!! the vet has said that maybe I should give up trying to bond. So, I now have 2 single males which I am really unhappy about as I always understood rabbits should be in pairs. I already have a bonded couple. So, we thought we'd give one up but cant decide which one as we love them both!! So, do we now get 2 more females and have 6 rabbits?

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. I got Jake a 'female' companion, Violet, last year. They lived together for 10 months very happily and then they started to fight big time. I just didnt understand it until someone said that perhaps Violet was a boy. Sure enough I had a look and he was. Violet is now Sam and was castrated 2 months ago. I have tried to bond them but they keep tearing each other apart!! Literally!! the vet has said that maybe I should give up trying to bond. So, I now have 2 single males which I am really unhappy about as I always understood rabbits should be in pairs. I already have a bonded couple. So, we thought we'd give one up but cant decide which one as we love them both!! So, do we now get 2 more females and have 6 rabbits?

Ptentially you could get two more females. If you allow your boys to choose then there is more chance of success. Another option potentially might be a female and bond them into a trio. Sometimes a female can ease the fights between males, although that theory doesn't always work practically.

Hello Christy Rose. Thank you for replying. Thats the reason i got Saff as i wanted to make Beau happy in a pair plus i done it wrong and chose a Saff when really Beau should have chose his partner!

Oh no you have gone through exactly what i am dreading! Thats the worst having to choose between the 2. I would have given Saff back if i knew he was a boy. But this wasnt the breeders or the vets fault. It was the first time my vet had ever seen a rabbit with his testicles inside him.

Just watching Saff now he is still sll drugged up and i couldnt ever give him away just incase someone mistreated him or never gave him as much love and attention as he gets from me. But Sky-O has just opened a whole new can of worms for me ha ha ha!! Getting A FEMALE to maybe try helping if they dont bond UH OHHHHH ive already been eyeing up mini rex's!!!

6 rabbits would cost a small fortune though!!!!

My 4 are rexes and they are soooo beautiful. :love: My partner says I am soft but I worry exactly the same as you. Jake was so grumpy when I first got him. He still has his moments but he now snuggles up under my neck and comes hopping up to me. How can I give him up? Will he trust again? Maybe I am too soft!! :oops: We've had Sam since he was 12 weeks and my sons adores him and has watched him grow up, so how can we get rid of him? My son gets so upset if we try and talk about rehoming one of them. I can see the practicalities, the cost, vets bills, new housing, runs, etc etc but they become like children to you. OH dosnt understand!!

Hi i was in a similar situation to you. I had Trev a male and thought id get him a friend so i got 'daisy' only daisy was a he. I discovered it when i saw his 'lipstick' when he tried to hump trev lol think he was more confused than i was :lol::lol:
anyway they had been living next to each other in seperate cages the garage for a good few months so thought id try bonding them anyway.. it was probably one of the easiest bonds ever!
no nasty behaviour what so ever just snuggles and kisses :love:
they lived together happily loved up for just a few month until Trev passed away :cry::cry::cry: so boy and boy bonds do work my two loved each other to pieces :D

Hi i was in a similar situation to you. I had Trev a male and thought id get him a friend so i got 'daisy' only daisy was a he. I discovered it when i saw his 'lipstick' when he tried to hump trev lol think he was more confused than i was :lol::lol:
anyway they had been living next to each other in seperate cages the garage for a good few months so thought id try bonding them anyway.. it was probably one of the easiest bonds ever!
no nasty behaviour what so ever just snuggles and kisses :love:
they lived together happily loved up for just a few month until Trev passed away :cry::cry::cry: so boy and boy bonds do work my two loved each other to pieces :D

This gives my 2 hope! My Saff is quite territorrial and moody towards my other boy but its only been 2 weeks since i had him castrated! So maybe he will chill after a few weeks?

Back