• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril medication

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Ok, so im confused & really annoyed! :evil:

I wasnt able to go to my usual vets as i couldnt get time off work so ive had to take both buns to my local vets.

Orla had a snotty nose & was given a 10 day course of baytril.

Then last night I took Rodge as he had the same symptoms & a different vet just gave me a 5 day course for him????

I was so confused & his baytril seems more watered down than Orlas???

5 days seems rather short to fight an infection, have you to take him back before you finish?

Yes Ive to take him back after 5 days, im really annoyed as I just said 'Why cant you give me a 10 day course to save me coming back?'....honestly the vet was clueless!

DO you think I should phone the vets & say I want another 5 days without having to pay ANOTHER consultation fee??

have they ever had baytril for this before? if they have, you don't want to be doing it again, best to try something else. if they haven't, even 10 days won't be enough to do anything for a respiratory problem. it may appear to have worked but it usually just temporarily stops the problem and meanwhile it is still building up deep in the spores of the nose. this is why a stronger med is needed, or if baytril is to be used, a 6week course at the very minimum is needed to get into the spores. if you decide to go ahead with the baytril and it seems to clear it but then comes back, go for something else.

this happened to my two and they both have long term respiratory problems now. baytril was used and i thought it had worked, but when i went to a proper vet he told me basically what i have just told you. he doesn't use baytril himself and said if any vet does he would advise a 6week course at the very first signs of any respiratory problems. he usually starts with a stronger med and does a minimum of 3 months to start.

these kind of infections take over so quickly so best to get straight in there with something strong, get right into the spores of the nose, to get it sorted asap, as the longer it goes on, the more the bacteria increase, they change aswell so it's harder to get under control, and also tissue damage can occur in the nose aswell.

i would go to your rabbit vet asap personally. x

Yes Ive to take him back after 5 days, im really annoyed as I just said 'Why cant you give me a 10 day course to save me coming back?'....honestly the vet was clueless!

DO you think I should phone the vets & say I want another 5 days without having to pay ANOTHER consultation fee??

To be fair I think it is very good that the Vet wants to see your Bun again in 5 days time. It is important that RTIs have ongoing assessment even when abx treatment is in progress. You are unlikely to be charged a second consult fee. Maybe a much smaller 'follow up fee' instead.

I would have much more confidence in a Vet saying come back in 5 days than one who just packs you and Bun off with a 10 day supply of abx.
If on examination there has been no improvement after 5 days the Vet may want to change the abx. Vet will also want to make sure Bun's lungs are not sounding any worse. You cant do that just by looking at the Bun.

So all-in-all I think your Vet is being very thorough and conscientious :)

To be fair I think it is very good that the Vet wants to see your Bun again in 5 days time. It is important that RTIs have ongoing assessment even when abx treatment is in progress. You are unlikely to be charged a second consult fee. Maybe a much smaller 'follow up fee' instead.

I would have much more confidence in a Vet saying come back in 5 days than one who just packs you and Bun off with a 10 day supply of abx.
If on examination there has been no improvement after 5 days the Vet may want to change the abx. Vet will also want to make sure Bun's lungs are not sounding any worse. You cant do that just by looking at the Bun.

So all-in-all I think your Vet is being very thorough and conscientious

Im afraid it was me who asked him to check his lungs/nose etc. It was like trying to get blood out of a stone. Ill dont plan on taking them back there, ill definately be going back to Edinburgh Uni Vet School.

Thanks for the advice, what meds did your vet prescribe for your buns?

he personally starts with penicillin injections for 3 months, he said he sends home at least six people a week with this for their respiratory buns :shock:

he has found it to be the best but if it doesn't work for a particular bun he will then do the c+s test, xrays, nebuliser etc.

i went to a non rabbit vet and got bayrtil, then baytil again when it flared up again. this was enough time for it to have taken hold really.. it was me that questioned the vets and even i thought maybe what they were doing wasn't enough.. especially as i requested all the tests and they said i was over-reacting :(.. now we have ended up going through a hell of a year and a half with them and they are both now on treatment for life. just wish i had found the rabbit vet sooner. :(

good luck :wave:

Back