• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat

jennie

New Kit
Hi all,

I've not been on this forum for a really long time but I'm really,really worried about my little Casta.

I took her to the vets this morning as she had stopped eating and become swollen and very stiff, lethagic and huddled up (yesterday evening she was entirely her normal self). The vet has diagnosised her as having bloat. She's had pain killers, something to get her bowel moving, some subcut fluids and a tummy massage, which I am to continue doing at various points throughout the day, plus some gut mobilty meds to have 8 hourly. I've just been down there to massage and mobilise her but she looks no better. I'm to bring her back to the vets for an emergency appointment if she's no better by 4pm.

Has anyone any experience of bloat? What are her chances of survival? the vet said to do what ever is least stressful so I've put her back in her hutch but I'm worried its too cold as she's poorly, should I bring her into the house? And if so should I bring her hutch mate too? I would be better able to monitor for poo if he's not there but they are very tigtly bonded, seperation may be stressful for both. While I was massaging her Wilf was jumping up at me and nibbling my trousor leg as if to say "give her back!"

Any advice appreciated!

Hi all,

I've not been on this forum for a really long time but I'm really,really worried about my little Casta.

I took her to the vets this morning as she had stopped eating and become swollen and very stiff, lethagic and huddled up (yesterday evening she was entirely her normal self). The vet has diagnosised her as having bloat. She's had pain killers, something to get her bowel moving, some subcut fluids and a tummy massage, which I am to continue doing at various points throughout the day, plus some gut mobilty meds to have 8 hourly. I've just been down there to massage and mobilise her but she looks no better. I'm to bring her back to the vets for an emergency appointment if she's no better by 4pm.

Has anyone any experience of bloat? What are her chances of survival? the vet said to do what ever is least stressful so I've put her back in her hutch but I'm worried its too cold as she's poorly, should I bring her into the house? And if so should I bring her hutch mate too? I would be better able to monitor for poo if he's not there but they are very tigtly bonded, seperation may be stressful for both. While I was massaging her Wilf was jumping up at me and nibbling my trousor leg as if to say "give her back!"

Any advice appreciated!

Has the Vet ruled out a full obstruction ? I assume so if gut motility medication was given :?

What analgesia did she have ?

Bloat does need intensive treatment and sadly it can be a fatal condition :cry:
I would definitely take Bun back to the Vets today.

Hi, so sorry u have such a poorly girl :(
Id bring her and her friend inside as she will need to bekept warm and will need constant monitoring. Her friends presence will help comfort her. If you have a snuggle safe or hot water bottle Id put that in with her so she can lie against it if shes feeling cold.
As Jane says it sounds asthough she is very poorly and will probs need to see the vet again :(
Sending loooooads of vibes xxxxx

Thanks for your replies.

Casta and Wilf are both now in my sitting room in the indoor cage. I've given Cassy another gentle tummy massage and made her mobilise a bit on the carpet (how guilty do I feel forcing her to walk when she looks so poorly!). There's only an hour to go before the vet said there should be some minor improvement but I'm sure I won't sleep a wink if I don't take her back. She looks no better to me and if it's possible for a rabbit to look worried Wilf does!

I'm not sure what analgesia she was given, I'm not very up on my veternary meds as I've been lucky enough not to need much contact with vets after the last few years. I have faith in my vet though, they rushed me in when I explained her symptoms and she was very thoroughly assessed before treatment. Her insistance that I brought her back was both a worry (that it was serious) and a relief (that they cared!). She has zantac syrup for ongoing treatment.

Keep those good vibes coming, and keep all fingers and toes crossed! She's only three and a half and was so full of life up until yesterday, it would devistate me to loose her.

Back