• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need help -Soft Poo

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I just noticed in bunnies cage that his poo is soft and when I picked him up there is some squashed underneath. I know i'm not describing it very well but I just wondered what I should do? I haven't changed his diet and have just been giving him pellets and hay plus obviously water. I have tried to clean him up as best as I can but will have to go back in soon to finsih up.

Edit: I just noticed that he has some up between his front paws and while I have done my best to clean it I can't get it all. Will he clean himself?

Last edited:
Poor Milo is off to the vets soon. I phoned the pet store who told me to take him to the vets and they would pay for it. If nothing else maybe they can help me clean him off a little :( Poor little guy

Poor Milo.

Has his diet changed at all?

Is he doing normal dry, pea shaped poo as well as this?

How is he acting in himself?

It may be that he is having too many pellets - Clo gets squishy poops and used to get a very messy bottom before I gradually reduced the pellets.

If I cleaned the big lumps off Clo would clean the rest himself.

Hopefully the vet can advise you further :)

His diet hasnt changed at all. I am feeding him the same pellets as the pet store and lots of hay. I have reduced the amount of pellets that they recommend on the side of the bag because it was way toooo much. He seems ok within himself but I am all scratched up from trying to clean him. His poo is not round like normal its kind of long like a few balls stuck together. Can't believe I am describing rabbit poo on the internet :)

Guess it can't hurt to get the vets to take a peak at him especially as I am not paying for it. He is going to be less than pleased when I try to put him in the old hamster cage (I am going to get a proper bunny carrier today) to take him out in a minute. Time for a long sleeve shirt for me I think.

If you've not long had your bunny is could be that he's a little stressed out from his new enviroment and its upset his system. A vet check sounds like a good idea, it will put your mind at rest and rule out anything sinister. Perhaps he'd benefit from some fibreplex - its something worth asking the vet about.

Hmm sounds like he isn't eating his cecals, maybe he is stressed as someone mentioned before. When I have had this prob with Carlo, I just cut down his pelletts gradually and fed mainly just hay and water, and he soon started to stop leaving them.

Cecal or special poops are produced by bun buns and they usually eat them, unless their tum is a bit upset

We have just come back from the vets and she gave me 2 lots of antibiotics.
Baytril? and Septrin?
She said his belly was very full but that could be becuase he has been eating? I have to watch him for a few days to see what happens. When we came back I cleaned out his cage so I can monitor poo (yuk!!!) and will make sure he is eating. He hasn't had anything but he only went back in about 5 minutes ago. If he isn't better in a couple of days I have to give them another call. She admitted though that she isn't a rabbit expert. I only went there this afternoon because Pets at Home said they would pay for the visit. Should I take him to a more rabbit savvy vet if he isn't better in a couple of day?

Oh and he was happy to cuddle the vet and receptionist :censored: but not me!

She definitely does not sound good with rabbits. I can't imagine why she would be prescribing an antibiotic, let alone two, at this stage.

I personally think, if you are worried, seek a better second opinion.

Have you read about cecatrophs and his regular fecals. Do you know how to tell the difference?

Have you introduced any new food? Could he have possibly eaten anything sneakily that could have upset his tummy?

Could you post a pic?

And don't worry, we all discuss rabbit poo. Its part of being a rabbit owner. :lol:

She definitely does not sound good with rabbits. I can't imagine why she would be prescribing an antibiotic, let alone two, at this stage.

I personally think, if you are worried, seek a better second opinion.

Have you read about cecatrophs and his regular fecals. Do you know how to tell the difference?

Have you introduced any new food? Could he have possibly eaten anything sneakily that could have upset his tummy?

Could you post a pic?

And don't worry, we all discuss rabbit poo. Its part of being a rabbit owner. :lol:

Do you think that I should not give him the medicine? I thought that I might watch him overnight and call another vet tomorrow if he doesn't improve.

I have been reading about cecatrophs etc but not sure how to tell the difference. I wish someone more knowledgable than me lived close enough to come and have a look at him. Is being a bunny mummy always so hard and worrying?

He hasn't had anything that he wasn't getting at the pet store. Pellets and hay plus water. I don't think he could sneak anything.

I have cleaned out the cage and there isn't much to take a photo of at the moment but give him a few hours :)

Do you think that I should not give him the medicine? I thought that I might watch him overnight and call another vet tomorrow if he doesn't improve.

I have been reading about cecatrophs etc but not sure how to tell the difference. I wish someone more knowledgable than me lived close enough to come and have a look at him. Is being a bunny mummy always so hard and worrying?

He hasn't had anything that he wasn't getting at the pet store. Pellets and hay plus water. I don't think he could sneak anything.

I have cleaned out the cage and there isn't much to take a photo of at the moment but give him a few hours :)

Yes, being a bunny mummy is ALWAYS worrying.

Ok, if he is producing his regular normal, round dry poos, then what you are seeing is some sort of cecatroph issue.

If he is not doing those normal dry, round poos, then that's a larger cause for concern because that's genuine diarrhoea which can be dangerous for a bunny.

Exercise is good for him, as is a lot of hydration (so using a bowl instead of a bottle). Pushing the hay is really important, moreso than pellets right now.

I think you need to do what you feel best with the medicine. I can't say to go against the vets advice because they are the trained professional.

We have just come back from the vets and she gave me 2 lots of antibiotics.
Baytril? and Septrin?
She said his belly was very full but that could be becuase he has been eating? I have to watch him for a few days to see what happens. When we came back I cleaned out his cage so I can monitor poo (yuk!!!) and will make sure he is eating. He hasn't had anything but he only went back in about 5 minutes ago. If he isn't better in a couple of days I have to give them another call. She admitted though that she isn't a rabbit expert. I only went there this afternoon because Pets at Home said they would pay for the visit. Should I take him to a more rabbit savvy vet if he isn't better in a couple of day?

Oh and he was happy to cuddle the vet and receptionist :censored: but not me!

Sounds like the vet has prescribed for a respiratory infection not a mucky bum :? Hope you can get it sorted.

I'm starting to think that I shouldnt' give him the medicine as it won't help. I am going to keep an eye on him tonight and see what happens in the morning.

Both of those medications are antibiotics, so if you feel there is an infection then it would be sensible to follow the vets advice.

:)Hello :wave: I've had the same problem yesterday, there were lots of poos like you describe so I gave the bunnies extra hay and less food today and the poos seem already back to normal :) I was a bit worried myself but everything's fine now :)

I believe I am allowed to post the following link (scroll down the page):

http://www.bunnymomma.com/health.htm

Did/ could Milo's excrement resemble the picture under the topic cecotropes / cecal pellets?

Rabbits exercise a practice referred to as coprophagy. Cecotropes/ caecotropes/ cecal pellets are re-ingested by the host animal to obtain more nutrients, and aid the gastrointestinal system.

In regards to administering the antibiotics prescribed by your veterinary, it is entirely your decision to make. However, did your veterinarian provide a reason for prescribing these antibiotics?

I have seen that kind of poo but thats not what was in the cage this morning. He seems to be much better tonight and his poo is almost back to normal. He is eating and drinking normally as well.

She didn't explain what the antibiotics were for but I came home to google them. I am not going to give them to him but will see how things go tomorrow morning. If still not right I will take him to one of the recommended vets and see what they say. If they suggest antibiotics then I will give it to him. The vet we saw today admitted that she didn't know a lot about rabbits.

Personally, I would be suspicion of her reasons for prescribing antibiotics, particularly if Milo appears otherwise healthy.

I suspect that you have experienced cecal dysbiosis - unformed cecotropes/ caecotropes/ cecal pellets.

Please keep us updated. Best and warmest wishes.

Back