• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed possible behaviour issue??

spacoette

New Kit
Hi - I'm looking for some advice / help. It seems my rabbit Daisy may have a behavioural issue / formed a habit with pulling the fur out of her paws. This started about 8 months and she's been back and forth to the vets, had all sorts of swabs taken and checks done, various lotions and potions and a collar off and on her so many times. She's nearly 2 and has been neutered and lives happily outdoors with our male rabbit Guinness who's also been neutered and is a year older.

The vet is now saying its just a habit and this is very difficult to resolve in rabbits. Has anybody ever encountered this before and has any advice on what to do. She can't spend her life wearing a collar but we just don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

What 'tests' has she had done apart from swabs ? What were the results ?

What medications has she had ?

What substrate is she housed on ?

Hi - not really sure what tests they did. They took skin scrapings and swabs and sent them away and said they were clean. They also checked for mites but there was nothing. She had to take an oral antibiotic for a few days but I can't remember what it was called but it was because she had infection in her rear paws. We had to bathe her paws twice a day in an antiseptic lotion (Hibiscrub) then we used Fuciderm gel. We've also used Cortavance spray and Dermisol cream.

Sorry I dint know what you mean by 'what substrate is she housed on'? Do you mean sawdust, hay, paper etc? We use sawdust and hay but removed the sawdust for a period of time also as recommended by the vet.

At a loss as to what to do!

Has she been investigated for pain elsewhere ?

You say that she also had sore hind feet/hocks. This can happen as a result of immobility due to arthritis.

Is she a very active Rabbit ?

Is she a Rex Rabbit ?

No investigations for pain anywhere else. She still seems happy enough, very active and eating and drinking as normal. The pain in her rear paws was due to infection where sores had developed from nibbling on her feet once she had pulled the fur out. She's not a rex, think she's an english rabbit, white with black markings.

Back