• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conti suffering bad abscesses - photos added

chloaster

Warren Veteran
We were part of a large rescue which involved mummy conti and her seven little ones. They grew well and as teenage angst started to set in we got them neutered. Post neuter Wednesday developed a nasty abcess from a small bite received from one of her siblings and from there on every little scratch developed into an abcess on her. We nearly lost her, she was pooing pure mucous and blood the night we really thought she was about to go .... but she is still here and although not abcess free yet she is doing really well.

We checked all the others over and they were all fine so they went off to their new homes. Unfortunately last week we got an email from Thursdays mum saying she had found a lump on him, and that he was booked in to have it removed on monday this week.

Monday I got a call to say they had knocked him out and when they shaved him they found the abcess was not the only one and that he had a very severe one round him front left leg and that he might lose it.

I asked her to bring him back in and let us and our vet get him through this so today he is being xrayed to see exactly what the abcess is doing and how far into his leg it has actually gone. It starts at his elbow and goes almost down to his paw and up into his armpit.

Long post but please be thinking of him today - hoping and praying the abcess is not into the bone so we can drain and treat but if it does we are unsure of options as at the moment leg removal looks like it will not completely remove the abcess as it goes so far into his armpit.

This is Thursday ..... I will keep you updated on his progress. Thanks

DSC_0063.jpg

Last edited:
How awful :cry:

Has the Vet cultured for Staph Aureus ?

Maizey on here has a theory about Contis and Staph Aureus. I'd drop Maizey a PM as I am sure she can explain it better than me.

Poor Thursday, that sounds pretty severe :( He's a very handsome boy, I really hope your vet can help him. Lots and lots of vibes xxx

As I said on the phone to you yesterday Thursday is in brilliant hands, thoughts are with you and hopefully something can be done, I am sure there is a connection with our BBG somewhere in there.

loads of vibes

Last edited:
How awful :cry:

Has the Vet cultured for Staph Aureus ?

Maizey on here has a theory about Contis and Staph Aureus. I'd drop Maizey a PM as I am sure she can explain it better than me.

is that the same as human staph aureus?my daughter got this from a bite on holiday

Chloe, Tin Tin had a really bad abcess which went from his tail all round his back leg and up to the armpit on his front leg. The abcess was so bad round his back leg that it was solid and he was unable to move it. Uncle Colin said he had never seen anything like it and had him on a cocktail of different antibiotics. It took us 2 and a half months to clear it but he is absoloutley fine now and had the use of his leg back completely. Fingers crossed you will be able to avoid amputation and vibes for him, Wednesday and the rest of the buns.

Im so sorry to hear about Thursday:cry::cry:I personally am convinced that some contis carry this dreadful bacteria,mine carry staph aureus,and it shows itself in abscesses in and outside the body.I have lost four of my beautiful contis to this now.Barley was being treated at Langford in Bristol,her front paw was being eaten away by an abscess,they were treating her for an auto imunne condition found in cats,Im sorry to say she didnt have this but by the time I took her there,she had been on abx for months so their C&S came back as clear,my vet did this when the first abscess appeared and Staph Aureus was found.My vet and I noticed that every time her paw was operated on the condition got worse,her toes started dropping off and the infection just spread,Barley had her leg amputated in the end and seven months later she developed another abscess on her remaining front paw,when she lost her beloved Bugsy,and i couldnt put her through any more suffering:cry:I have lost maizey to this,abscesses on his paws then a massive ear infection.Bugsy got an ear infection and I'm convinced he got abscesses in his ears which then led to septicemia,he was paralysed in the end and died screaming:cry::cry::cry:Willow was found to have an abscess in his stomach which was operated on,it then came back and he stopped eating,he was PTS.I also have Honey and Blue which are conti crosses,Honey had osteomyelitis in her toe and had it amputated due to an abscess and Blue has LRTI which is just kept under control with abx,which he will be on for life.I think because they are crosses they havent had it as badly as the pure breeds
Im also convinced this is contagious to other contis as all mine are free range.I bought Bugsy in when Maizey died and he caught if off one of the others.I have put threads up with pictures of Barleys paw.I wish you all the luck in the world and Im so sorry that I dont have any positive news for you

I've got conti cross who got a dreadful abcess when he was neutered just from the injection of the sedative. It tracked all across his back and down his side. I got rid of it but have been nervous even vaccinating him ever since. He has a deformed front foot and the vet said she absolutely didn't want to mess with it after seeing that abcess. Luckily it has formed a good callous and doesn't seem to bother him much. He jumps and plays and digs. His mum (full conti) has a nasty tear duct infection kept under control by penicillin.
None of my other contis have had abcesses although Loki does have his dreadful ear infections which caused his head tilt. Also kept under control with penicillin.
At the critical stage though, penicillin, baytril and metronidazole were used together in all these cases. It is a great combo.

Thank you for all the well wishes. Thursday is doing really well, the xray showed that it does go into the bone but only slightly so it has been drained and stapled and we are keeping a really close eye on him and keeping up the meds.

The bad news is that I have checked Wednesday over today and all the abcesses seem to be clear but when I put her out on the grass she is unable to use her back legs properly ...... I have spoken to Rebecca on the phone and her worst fear is that she has developed an abcess along her spine somewhere - we are heading over to see her now for xrays and check up.

These contis are a heartache! :(

That's great news about Thursday :D I hope you can keep managing it like that. Poor Wednesday though, massive vibes for her today, really hope the vets worse fears aren't confirmed xxx

Thank you for all the well wishes. Thursday is doing really well, the xray showed that it does go into the bone but only slightly so it has been drained and stapled and we are keeping a really close eye on him and keeping up the meds.

The bad news is that I have checked Wednesday over today and all the abcesses seem to be clear but when I put her out on the grass she is unable to use her back legs properly ...... I have spoken to Rebecca on the phone and her worst fear is that she has developed an abcess along her spine somewhere - we are heading over to see her now for xrays and check up.

These contis are a heartache! :(

oh no sorry to hear that hon.

No abcesses but that leaves a massive :?: - she's on panacur and metacam for a few days to see if maybe the stress of everything has caused EC symptoms but ......

Back