• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe trees for Bunnies?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
I have been googling and have found a similar list on various sites about safe twigs/leaves for bunnies but am after a bit more info.
My hubby is now working as a tree surgeon and so it's quite easy to get some nice big logs for the bunnies to have in their sheds and runs :love::love:
So I know that

Apple
Birch
Blackberry
Fir
Hazel
Hawthorn
Maple
Pear
Raspberry
Spruce
Willow

Are ok. Although Fir and Spruce I am unsure of cos surely xmas trees come under this category and I thought they were not ok and on some sites I have seen Fir is ok but Spruce isnt or vice versa and though the Genus (i think this is right) is the same the species is different?!

But anyone I am actually wondering about Horse Chestnut? I know young leaves are ok but no idea whether a great log would be?!

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks x

I find it very difficult to obtain consistent info from these sites too!
On the list given I would personally avoid both spruce & fir & all conifers. The sap in some of them has toxins (turpines etc) in it.

The other trees/plants listed are well known to be safe, they are common & supplies are plentiful, so I stick to these.
Cluttery Drawer pointed out that there are differences in names between USA & UK. Maple in particular refers to a different species of tree in USA. We did not find out if the British maple was truely safe.

I go by a not sure, don't need, therefore avoid policy.

Bramble leaves & raspberry leaves are actually good for bunny tummies! :)

Thanks so much for your reply.
Yep I think I will just have to hold out til he works on something suitable that they can have! Patience isnt one of my strong points! :lol:

I find it very difficult to obtain consistent info from these sites too!
On the list given I would personally avoid both spruce & fir & all conifers. The sap in some of them has toxins (turpines etc) in it.

The other trees/plants listed are well known to be safe, they are common & supplies are plentiful, so I stick to these.
Cluttery Drawer pointed out that there are differences in names between USA & UK. Maple in particular refers to a different species of tree in USA. We did not find out if the British maple was truely safe.

I go by a not sure, don't need, therefore avoid policy.

Bramble leaves & raspberry leaves are actually good for bunny tummies! :)

I read that Maple is safe, can't remember where though. I have a tree (Holland Maple I thik it is) they also lose the seed discs (spinning jennies)right outside my back garden, which is herrendous in Autumn...all my buns love hoovering the garden with no ill effects, athough they never touch the seed discs that fall too.
I try and brush daily but whilst I brush they eat! :roll:

Last edited:
Back