• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Cylap reaction ... Brilliant.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I did the rather stupid thing and even though I knew the risks and what a bad injection it is, I got Lois vaccinated on Thursday using Cylap.
I had asked for lapinject but they informed me (after much looking on the internet as they didn't seem to have a clue) that as it only came in doses of five I would have to pay for 5x the vaccination cost. It worked out at about £80 which I literally couldn't afford. I phoned round a few other vets but the only one who would use it is about a 30minute drive and as I don't drive I would have to rely on my parents who were on holiday. I didn't want to leave her until they came back so I just took the plunge and hope she wouldn't have a reaction like Leo.

Anyway she had the injection on Thursday, had a limp on Friday and now it looks like someone has poured acid on the nape of her neck. I feel so guilty that I did this to her knowing the risks. I just hoped that as Archie & Blanche were completely fine after it maybe I'd be lucky with her.

I have some Vets Gold from when Leo had a similar reaction but it jut seems to be an overpriced sudocrem. However, I've been putting that on her four times a day.

I just wanted to moan really, I feel terrible. She absolutely hates me now as well, as soon as she sees me she runs away and stamps her foot. The poor thing had a rubbish life before she came to the rescue centre, I assured them that I would give her all the love and care she needs and now look what I've done to her. :cry:

You dide the best you could.

I would think some Metacam would help her immensely. Is she on any? Also, have you let the vets know?

You dide the best you could.

I would think some Metacam would help her immensely. Is she on any? Also, have you let the vets know?

When Leo had it my vets seemed to think I was wasting their time whenever I took him in. They didn't actually know that it was a reaction to Cylap until I was absolutely adamant that it was and told me in no uncertain terms that they weren't giving him any metacam and that it would get worse before it got better. In the end after much stamping from me they've gave some baytril. I've not actually told them about this reaction yet.

There is a brilliant vets (the one that's 30mins away) which I know a lot of people on this forum use. I just physically can't get there unless I go on public transport and then with a 15/20minute walk down a busy road. I know that that will stress her out far too much. I wish I could get her there and see if they'd do anything for her. :?

Best of luck to you youthnovels. You've done your best for her and she might be a little wary of you but i'm sure it'll be temporary. xx

I don't think you should feel guilty. :wave: We don't live in an ideal world, and £80 is a lot of money. Spenser had cylap VHD, but although he had a reaction it was quite mild - just a bit out of sorts for a day, and with a red patch on the back of his neck that seemed to bother me more than him. When I phoned the vet to check that this was 'normal' they said he should be fine but that if he seemed worse or I was really concerned to bring him straight in. Having said this, I do hope you manage to fix up something to take your bunnies to a vet you are happier with.

Back