• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Male rabbit lost his partner at the weekend, can I intoroduce a new one?

Hi, I am new to this Forum and was looking for some advise if poss?

We have had our 2 rabbits for about 3-4 years, they were originally purchased about 6 months apart, and for about 8 months they lived in there own hutches, however, it took us about 4 months to finally get them to live together in the same Hutch.....Sadly last Sunday the Dutch Female was PTS, VERY SAD, Lost her to Mixy, the Male Rabbit is now on his own in the same hutch, what can I do? do I get another female as I dont want sooty (the male rabbit) living on his own and getting bored? but he is a very dominant rabbit!

We also have another 2 rabbits that live in a seperate hutch, we got these lovely 2 from our local RSPCA, we dont let them all out together as there would be trouble!

Any Ideas? do I introduce a new rabbit for Sooty? or do I try and get him to mingle with the other 2 rabbits?

All buns have been neutred. Please help as I dont want sooty to be sad!

Do rabbits greeve?

Thanks

Matt

:wave: Im sorry for your loss ..did Sooty see the female after she had died?, sometimes this can help them grieve. Sometimes buns dont seem to grieve - each bun is different.

Yes I would get him a partner - could you take him to a rescue so he can chose his own partner - if he is dominent this is the easiest way..You are at risk if you chose his wifey that they dont get on and you end up with 2 single buns.. It is getting cold and he will get cold and lonely on his own..

Hope you can find him somnebun to snuggle to

Personally I'd do some research on bonding and try introducing the three rabbits you have all together to see if that could work.
If it fails then look at getting him a new wifey.

Personally I'd do some research on bonding and try introducing the three rabbits you have all together to see if that could work.
If it fails then look at getting him a new wifey.

Yeah but with that, you run the risk of breaking the bond between the other 2 buns, and could end up with 3 single buns, I'm a wuss and wouldn't risk it. I reckon OP would be best rehoming a new girl bun for her boy.

May I offer my deepest condolences for Sooty's and your loss.

Could I enquire as to the circumstances surrounding the female's euthanasia? Was she vaccinated against myxomatosis, and, indeed, are your other rabbits vaccinated against this disease, and VHD?

What genders are your other two rabbits?

Yeah but with that, you run the risk of breaking the bond between the other 2 buns, and could end up with 3 single buns, I'm a wuss and wouldn't risk it. I reckon OP would be best rehoming a new girl bun for her boy.
I suppose it all depends on how confident you are with bonding and how solid the relationship is with the original pair.
I think it's unlikely you'd end up with 3 singles if you do everything 'by the book' as it were. If the pair have been bonded once I'd imagine they could be bonded again because their personalities obviously work together.

I don't think there's really a 'best' thing to do in this situation, just pros and cons to all options that appeal to us all differently.

My bertie lost his partner 4 weeks ago they were a devoted couple. I thought bertie would greave terrible but thankfully he hasn't at all. Bertie is a housebun though so maybe that's made the difference.

May I offer my deepest condolences for Sooty's and your loss.

Could I enquire as to the circumstances surrounding the female's euthanasia? Was she vaccinated against myxomatosis, and, indeed, are your other rabbits vaccinated against this disease, and VHD?

What genders are your other two rabbits?

Tinys (dutch that died) Mixy jab ran out 5 months ago! the others have been done! they have not had VHD! My other 2 rabbits are 1 x male and 1 x female, thanks

Matt

I think you need to get all your rabbits uptodate with their vaccinations and have a chat with a local rescue.

A trio is a possibility but even if you do everything right it can go wrong (such as three singles, or a different pair with one of the original pair as a single).

I have a feeling you asked this before and it was suggested that you keep them all in quarantine for a bit longer because of the fact you have myxo on your premises.

Yes, you have posted before. This this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250411 you were told

As you have had mxyi on your property it is advisable to use quarantine conditions for at least 4 weeks..preferably 6
This means you change your clothes before seeing to the buns and change out of them after..disinfect more than normal and flea treat your bunnies and their living areas..again take vets advice on carrying this out.
Do not allow anyone else who owns rabbits to go anywhere near yours, or for you to go near other owners until you have changed out of any clothes which may have had contact with your rabbits.

Thank you for posting the above quote, Sky-O. I agree with all the above advice. I believe you will have to think very carefully about your options, and there potential consequences, before you decide on a particular action, Matt. I, personally, would be dissuaded from attempting to bond two bucks and a doe.

However, I do have to ask whether you want a new addition, etc?

Thank you for posting the above quote, Sky-O. I agree with all the above advice. I believe you will have to think very carefully about your options, and there potential consequences, before you decide on a particular action, Matt. I, personally, would be dissuaded from attempting to bond two bucks and a doe.

However, I do have to ask whether you want a new addition, etc?

Hi, thanks for all your help, I am looking for a female to go in with Sooty the Male Rabbit, as I think he will be very lonely, I guess this may take time! Thanks

Back