• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How many antibiotics are there

Carrie14

Mama Doe
that work with chesty buns?

I assume that over time the bacterias build a resistance to each one.

Tulip has been on Baytril and Streptacare that didn't work and is now on Uniphyllin and Ronaxan that have so far been great.

I just get thew feeling, from slight behaviour changes, that they are not working as well as they used to.

She is going to the vets tomorrow. Eating and pooing as OK as she ever will.

I just want to know when the time could come.

Badger currently has Zithromax for his chest (oral). He also previously has Convenia (safe only as an injectable).

Badger currently has Zithromax for his chest (oral). He also previously has Convenia (safe only as an injectable).

Neither of which I have heard of, so that is two more. Unless thy are the same ones under a diffrent name?

Thank you.

Neither of which I have heard of, so that is two more. Unless thy are the same ones under a diffrent name?

Thank you.

Nope, completely different. Definitely two further options.

Also, penicillins are an option?

Is this LRI or URI?

There's plenty of others. Marbocyl, oxytetracycline (engemycin or terramycin), metronidazole... The latter does not work on pasteurella but I found it to be really effective with Santa as her snuffles was due to tooth root infection so seemed to consist of anaerobic bacteria.

The best way really is to get the bun off antibiotics for a week or more if possible, and to then get a sample (deep nasal swab or contents of a nasal flush) sent away for analysis. It's the only effective way of knowing exactly what bacteria you are dealing with and what they are sensitive to. But as I know with Santa - getting a positive culture was easier said than done!

Good luck x

From the x-ray it appeared to be each entire lung with extensive scar tissue too. The vet believed she had a infection for a long time before I rescued her.

The problem for me is I have grown to love her an embarrassing amount and I know she will not live as long as she should. Kind of upsetting me at the moment.

Glad to hear of further options:)

Have you tried Nebulising?

It can be completely hard when you are losing somebunny early, so right now focus on making her time as amazing as possible. Not sure if you've seen 'Badger's Happy Times Diary' but maybe you could start a 'Tulpi's Happy Times Diary' or similar idea. Its horrid and wretched for us, but when they go and we know we have made such a huge positive change in their life, it can give us some comfort and help ease the grief.

There's plenty of others. Marbocyl, oxytetracycline (engemycin or terramycin), metronidazole... The latter does not work on pasteurella but I found it to be really effective with Santa as her snuffles was due to tooth root infection so seemed to consist of anaerobic bacteria.

The best way really is to get the bun off antibiotics for a week or more if possible, and to then get a sample (deep nasal swab or contents of a nasal flush) sent away for analysis. It's the only effective way of knowing exactly what bacteria you are dealing with and what they are sensitive to. But as I know with Santa - getting a positive culture was easier said than done!

Good luck x

Thank you for the reassuring advice:) I will talk to the vet tomorrow.

Have you tried Nebulising?

It can be completely hard when you are losing somebunny early, so right now focus on making her time as amazing as possible. Not sure if you've seen 'Badger's Happy Times Diary' but maybe you could start a 'Tulpi's Happy Times Diary' or similar idea. Its horrid and wretched for us, but when they go and we know we have made such a huge positive change in their life, it can give us some comfort and help ease the grief.

That is a lovely idea:love:

Back