• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi and Vhd Vaccines

Barney rubble

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave: I was wondering if I can trouble you all for some of your great advice please:D

My rabbit Barney is due for his vaccines next month and have phoned the vets for prices, and was told they are both £26.40 each, is this expensive??
I also asked which vaccine they use for the VHD as I have read about the 2different types, but I one begining with N (nobrivine???)0:oops:
So next question is which are they two brands of VHD vaccines and which is better ? and whats Nobrivine??

Thank you in advance:p

Helen x

Nobi-vac is a myxi vaccination.

There are two types of VHD - Cylap and Lapinject. Personally I prefer Lapinject as my buns have had side effects from Cylap.

My vets (Bristol) charge £16 per vac but at a previous vet (again in Bristol) I was paying £25 so it varies alot from vet to vet.

My vets do a special if you have both VHD and Myxi booked at the same time, £40.

£25/jab at my vets.

We pay £27 for Myxo and £20 for VHD (lapinject).

Varys wildly from place to place.

I'd just insure that the place you go to is the best rabbit vet in your area because it is at the time of vaccination that a good bunny vet will ensure that all is well with the rabbit and not just vaccinate regardless.

It's actually at vaccination time that a vet can spot problems developing so, my best advice to anyone is don't just go for the cheapest vaccination - go for the best vet.

Some people think that it's okay to go to the cheap vet for vaccines and then go to a better rabbit vet for any 'proper' or emergency treatment. I'd suggest that this is a false economy because with a good vet for the day to day work, it may actually help prevent the more expensive emergency treatments from being necessary.

Buy the best care - better for your purse and your bunnies in the long run. If the best also happens to be cheaper - then that's fab!

Helen

:DThank you for the replies, I'll go into the vets I think and ask again about the VHD vac, not filling me with confidence if they don't know the diff between their myzi and vhd vac!! I did wonder about it being the myxi vac. Might need to look into other good vets in the area, any recommendations very welcome :D

:DThank you for the replies, I'll go into the vets I think and ask again about the VHD vac, not filling me with confidence if they don't know the diff between their myzi and vhd vac!! I did wonder about it being the myxi vac. Might need to look into other good vets in the area, any recommendations very welcome :D

message Jill at Honeybunnies - the rescue has a good vet in Leicestershire but could probably suggest others if it's not close to you.

Thank you I think I might do that, better to find a good vets you can trust. Cost isn't a problem quality of care is :D

Helen x

We pay I think around £22.50 per jab at our vets and our previous vets charged £17.50 per jab.
So I think anything from £18- 26 is about average tbh.

we charge £19.50 for the myxo and £21.00 for the vhd we use lapinject as a few bunnies reacted to the cylap including my finley

Make sure they do not do them both at the same time!! They should always be done a minimum of 2 weeks apart!

I rang the vet this morning to book Milo in for his and they told me they charge £44.95 for both.

:rolleyes:Ouch!! Why are vets so damn expensive!?! Although we still pay it to pretect our buns.
Do you know I'm sure more ppl would look after their animals better if the prices wern't so high:(

My vets don't do Cylap and I said oh good cos thats the one that can cause a nasty reaction in buns isn't it and she said thats not the reason they don't use it anymore, it's more the reaction to the vet if they accidently get stabbed with the needle and inject themself, apparently some veterinary nurses in america have actually died from it :shock::shock: if it can do that to a human then imagine what it can do to a bun :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My vets don't do Cylap and I said oh good cos thats the one that can cause a nasty reaction in buns isn't it and she said thats not the reason they don't use it anymore, it's more the reaction to the vet if they accidently get stabbed with the needle and inject themself, apparently some veterinary nurses in america have actually died from it if it can do that to a human then imagine what it can do to a bun

I think its the mineral oil that does the harm, but I believe lapinject is also mineral oil based so surely would still have the same risk. Unless they are using the new one of course which I think is not mineral oil based.

I paid £15.99 for each, VHD was lapinject, I found the vet on here too and he checked Jenson over both times.
Price does vary, the other vet I was going to go to charges £28 for each and no rabbit experts.

My vet charges £10 for myxo and £15 for cylap but they got lapinject in for us which was £8.50 each (nice surprise after expecting a bill of £45!).

can't believe how much jabs are some places :shock:

Back