• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore winky?

cloughie

Banned
When checking Pebbles over today I notice that the skin aronud his winky looks very sore and is a deep red colour, like its bruised but there is no swelling or anything. When I popped his winky out it is a light red colour around the tip and down one side :?

It doesn't seem to be causing him any pain and he absolutely fine in himself.

Any ideas what it could be? I don't think Roxy has done anything to him as there are no signs of bite or scratch marks. I'll take him to the vets if it doesn't improve in a couple of days.

Do you think he could of been humping her at all? Lots of humping i've been told can cause a sore 'winky' as you so eloquently put it :)

nope no humping...well I doubt it as he has never been a humper :lol: she humps him occasionally...mainly indoors when they're battling to get into the food bucket :lol:

I can only think that something has irritated it :? unless its a sign of a health problem...I know its a sign of Myxi but he is fine everywhere else.

Do you think he could of been humping her at all? Lots of humping i've been told can cause a sore 'winky' as you so eloquently put it :)

You've '' been told'' eh? ;) (sorry couldnt resist!)

But I agree it could be due to humping lots. Do yoi check his willy regularly or could it just be that that is how it normally looks maybe? Xxx

You've '' been told'' eh? ;) (sorry couldnt resist!)

But I agree it could be due to humping lots. Do yoi check his willy regularly or could it just be that that is how it normally looks maybe? Xxx

Yeh I check his bits everyday and its always been a healthy pinky colour...looks mank now though :shock: I don't think the poor guys knows how to hump :lol:

If you are concerned then I would have a vet check it asap - Treponema cuniculi (rabbit syphilis) is a possibility as is Myxi.

It could equally be something minor like irritation, inflammation (over use! ;) as suggested already) :wave:

If you are concerned then I would have a vet check it asap - Treponema cuniculi (rabbit syphilis) is a possibility as is Myxi.

It could equally be something minor like irritation, inflammation (over use! ;) as suggested already) :wave:

Out of interest, as a matter of education, could it be a UTI or something along those lines causing the 'willy' to look almost red due to an infection?

Out of interest, as a matter of education, could it be a UTI or something along those lines causing the 'willy' to look almost red due to an infection?

I don't know to be honest not having one myself! ;):lol: Perhaps you could enlighten us?! :lol:

Yes of course a UTI could potentially cause inflammation. Either way a vet check up would be a sensible idea.

I don't know to be honest not having one myself! ;):lol: Perhaps you could enlighten us?! :lol:

Yes of course a UTI could potentially cause inflammation. Either way a vet check up would be a sensible idea.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back under that rock again....i seem to be spending a lot of time there of late...

:roll:

I'm guessing its just an irritation as it is not swollen at all and is not hurting him but I will book him an appointment to see the vet asap.

Knowing him he has probably caught it on someting when hopping into the new hooded cat litter tray I got them as a straw box :lol:

Hi, I have just been posting about my Dumbledore who it sounds like very similiar. Swollen, red, all round his wee man also round his bottom but he has been happy, eating, drinking, poo and peeing. my vet didn't know what it was and i took him last night to a different vet thanks to help from the forum and he has been diagnosed with rabbit syphillis, his treatment is penicillin by injection 1xweek for 3 weeks. Hope this helps good luck:wave:

Back