• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could this be anything other than dental problems? Update pg 2

H Maughan

Mama Doe
My 5 year old doe Bebe has suddenly developed a runny nose, boogey eyes and she's now drooling. I initially noticed she wasn't quite right yesturday when she was a bit off her veggies, but she did eat some.

I've booked her in to see the vets tomorrow morning but I'm wondering if it could be anything other than teeth problems. She's always eaten her hay and dried grass and don't understand why this has suddenly popped up at her age. She seems quite well in herself in almost all ways apart from being less enthusiastic about her food and she's now running round the garden with her husbun.

Helen xx

Last edited:
She may have a respiratory infection, my little Orla is recovering from this.

Best of luck at the vets!

I'm really hoping this is the case given dental problems can be very hard to deal with. She's not a 'cuddly bunny' so I'd feel awful putting her through an operation. Though I'm dreading having to get baytril in her if it is an infection.

Helen xx

My 5 year old doe Bebe has suddenly developed a runny nose, boogey eyes and she's now drooling. I initially noticed she wasn't quite right yesturday when she was a bit off her veggies, but she did eat some.

I've booked her in to see the vets tomorrow morning but I'm wondering if it could be anything other than teeth problems. She's always eaten her hay and dried grass and don't understand why this has suddenly popped up at her age. She seems quite well in herself in almost all ways apart from being less enthusiastic about her food and she's now running round the garden with her husbun.

Helen xx

To me it sounds dental i'm afraid. I've not ever heard of a bun with a respiratory infection drooling - this is more indicative of molar spurs, and the eye symptoms more of an elongated tooth root.. which is associated with molar spurs. Good luck at the vets x

To me it sounds dental i'm afraid. I've not ever heard of a bun with a respiratory infection drooling - this is more indicative of molar spurs, and the eye symptoms more of an elongated tooth root.. which is associated with molar spurs. Good luck at the vets x

I completely agree.

However, she may have this dental and not need another for many years. It doesn't necessarily mean she will need them regularly.

I don't tend to weigh but judging by how she looks she doesn't look as well groomed as she usually does. I've had to feed her some naturals natures salad for her dinner because she doesn't seem to want to try pellets or even fenugreek crunchies :cry:.

I'm just hoping if she does need a dental that its a one off. She's always been good with her hay eating and I've never had a bunny have problems with their back teeth before. She's got her appointment early tomorrow so if she needs a dental I'm sure they could fit her in for that afternoon to get it done. I just hope its not any more sinister but you never know with dental problems :(

Helen xx

They may only do it tomorrow if a, its an emergency, and b, if its not an emergency, they have a convinient space. My vet tends to say keep them dosed up on Metacam and get them in as good condition as possible before a dental. It means they struggle less with the dental and come round better and faster if their guts are moving properly and they are not in a diminished condition. I've only had one done as an emergency, all the rest have been a few days later when the guts have sped up and eating is more normal.

They may only do it tomorrow if a, its an emergency, and b, if its not an emergency, they have a convinient space. My vet tends to say keep them dosed up on Metacam and get them in as good condition as possible before a dental. It means they struggle less with the dental and come round better and faster if their guts are moving properly and they are not in a diminished condition. I've only had one done as an emergency, all the rest have been a few days later when the guts have sped up and eating is more normal.

They're a very quiet surgery which is part of a branch. I pick to go there as it usually is very quiet usually and they are usually able to do routine ops pretty quickly. I'm just hoping they're not unusually busy. I just want it doing as quickly as possible so I can get her back home where she belongs.

Helen xx

Naturally, Bebe's appearance suggests that she is not in the best of health. However, if she does not appear to of the lost weight, that is of some comfort - particularly if she is required to undergo dental surgery tomorrow. I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow. Please keep us updated. Best and warmest wishes.

Update

I've taken her to the vets this morning and the vet could feel a lump which was an abcess on her jaw. He's already put her under and x rayed her jaw as well as lancing the abcess. He looked at her back teeth for spurs but he said they looked completely fine so its obviously coming from her roots.

I'll be picking her up at about 2pm this afternoon once she's come round fully. I've been told to bathe the abcess lots daily and she'll be getting oral antibiotics and pain killers until monday and then we'll see how it goes. I should get a more full story when I go in this afternoon as to outcomes etc. I'm really hoping this is just a one off though.

Helen xx

Back