• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail Cutting tips?

chul

Staff member
Does anyone have any tips on cutting my bunnys nails for the 1st time. My Dad is coming round to do it, as he has done other animals before, but not a rabbit. I know about the vein, but do you guys have any other tips?

I can't do Biscuits as he can't be held, so he goes to the vets.

I think the only thing i can suggest is have some cornflour at the ready, in case you do clip the quick accidentally :wave:

Have quick stop or flour handy incase of accidents.

A towel for a bunny burrito for awkward bunnies.

A torch for shinning underneath the quick if bunny has dark nails.

He has light nails so should be able to see. He will be wrapped in a towel I think.

It goes through me - i had someone come to the house to do it once and he really gave them the runnaround :lol: but i could see he was scared too so it's just easier going to the vets - i like it not to be on home ground and it's only about £6 so worth it because they know what they're doing etc.

I know loads of people do it at home tho - i suppose you just need to know what to look out for ad not be a squeemish wimp like me. :oops:

I go to the vet. :oops: They usually do it for no extra charge if he's there for a vaccine, but it's only £5 to have it done on its own. Spenser's vet is only couple of minutes away so the journey is probably less stressful for both of us than me trying to do it.

It goes through me - i had someone come to the house to do it once and he really gave them the runnaround :lol: but i could see he was scared too so it's just easier going to the vets - i like it not to be on home ground and it's only about £6 so worth it because they know what they're doing etc.

I know loads of people do it at home tho - i suppose you just need to know what to look out for ad not be a squeemish wimp like me. :oops:

If we cant do it, or it is stresses him out we will stop and book the vets.

The Dudster needs his doing (I managed Daisy a week or so ago) but its soo difficult with dark claws plus its a two people job one to hold the other to clip. I bought a tiny little pair of proper animal nail clippers which actually makes it easier than wielding a big pair!

The Dudster needs his doing (I managed Daisy a week or so ago) but its soo difficult with dark claws plus its a two people job one to hold the other to clip. I bought a tiny little pair of proper animal nail clippers which actually makes it easier than wielding a big pair!

I bought a pair from P@H the other day. Nice and small and look to cut well!

I cant do Mylo's nails either, i have tried quite a few times but i dont feel comfortable and he wriggles and panicks me! He goes the vets to have them done but his nails dont grow very long at all so its not too bad!!!

if you are worried ,shine a light from under the nail.this makes it easier to see the quick.also in my time of nail cutting (2 cats, 8 piggies and 2 buns:shock:) i take off bits little and often..plus when i cut nails i only ever do it when the vets are open:lol: that way any problems ..take them to the vet:lol:
plus i think in p@h they do a nail filing handheld thing:oops: that you put the nail in and it has no danger of cutting the quick:D

I've done Lewis's once... the plan was for me to hold him and my bf to clip, but he was much better just sat on my knee, and he let me hold his little paws :love: Saying this, he did move before I'd finished lol :lol:

Well it went okay. got all his front nails clipped and the back were short so will wait a while for those! He seemed happy after it so all went good!

Back