• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG. HELP. They are eating me out of hay and home!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Since Ginger arrived i've obviously been using more hay up, i obviously dont midn this and can easily afford for the additional required.

But this is crazy!

I started bonding them at 8am Saturday morning. It's now 11:30 on Tuesday and they've done 3/4 of a 1Kg bag of meadow hay :shock:

Is this ALOT for a pair of dwarf lops? (yes, Biscuit has recently been re-breed assessed, lol) Biscuit is 2.1Kg and Ginger is 1.2Kg now.

Just curious. It's not a problem, i'm just learning :)

Holly is always eating hay, Pearl was the same.. i used to get thro 1 1/2 bags of the 1.8kg pure pastures hay in a week :0

its so ace i can now buy bales of hay, no worries about running out ever again lol

My buns,inc the 2 nethies, surprised me.When I started to buy a certain hay from a certain place, the amount of hay consumed went up considerably!!!Whereas before I was getting freebies from mates farm (a bale every 6 weeks,still do), I found it wasnt nommed half as much.
Theyre bedded on freebie hay and nom the other classier stuff!!!

I did think Biscuit was rather large mini-lop...

Re. the hay, LUCKY you. :evil: I'm still at the stage of rejoicing and getting the amera out if Spenser has hay dangling from his mouth. :roll:

Nah, that's not a lot.

Probably in line with what Wish and Autumn eat.

Mine get through roughly 25kg every 5 days, for 17 rabbits. So that's about 1.2kg per rabbit every 5 days. They don't eat all that (bedding and excess litter tray hay goes in the bin), but they do eat a large amount of it.

Holly is always eating hay, Pearl was the same.. i used to get thro 1 1/2 bags of the 1.8kg pure pastures hay in a week :0

its so ace i can now buy bales of hay, no worries about running out ever again lol

You may not be saying that come January-June time when this years cut has run out. :lol: BUt if you're not and you do have lots up there you can send me some :D

See, your new life has so many added benefits already! :)

Blackers;
:lol::lol::lol::lol: It's better than eating the wall paper and furniture ;)

Indeedy ;)

Sky;
Nah, that's not a lot.

Probably in line with what Wish and Autumn eat.

Mine get through roughly 25kg every 5 days, for 17 rabbits. So that's about 1.2kg per rabbit every 5 days. They don't eat all that (bedding and excess litter tray hay goes in the bin), but they do eat a large amount of it.

Okay, so roughly about the same as Wish & Autumn then. Obviously, as you say, they aren't eating all that, but there is very very little in the litter tray when i change it, twice a day at the moment.

You may not be saying that come January-June time when this years cut has run out. :lol: BUt if you're not and you do have lots up there you can send me some :D

Ste said they dont run out up here, theres plenty for all, i did notice the price changes tho. last time i was here Ste's mom paid 6.99 for a bale but its back down to 5.50 now :D

Would getting a bale be a waste for 2 bunnies?

I think i'm going to have this problem too Graham as Daisy is a real hay nommer so i'm bound to notice an increase. I currently get their stuff from a pet shop (due to getting hold of it here) - and i hate the pet shop with a passion.

I'd much prefer to get a bale but i worry about storing it - might i have musty hay issues? And where do i start to even look for a place to get it from! :?

Would getting a bale be a waste for 2 bunnies?

I think i'm going to have this problem too Graham as Daisy is a real hay nommer so i'm bound to notice an increase. I currently get their stuff from a pet shop (due to getting hold of it here) - and i hate the pet shop with a passion.

I'd much prefer to get a bale but i worry about storing it - might i have musty hay issues? And where do i start to even look for a place to get it from! :?

I'd love to Grin, seriously, but i live in a 2 bedroom new build with a tiny garden and no storage :(

The living room has shrunk in size as it is since the buns arrival :lol: 16 sq ft doesn't sound much, but it does take its toll :)

I'd love to Grin, seriously, but i live in a 2 bedroom new build with a tiny garden and no storage :(

The living room has shrunk in size as it is since the buns arrival :lol: 16 sq ft doesn't sound much, but it does take its toll :)

chuck out your clothes and put it in the wardrobe.. thats where i put mine when the landlords came for a visit in the last house lolololololol

not sure about mine this winter, ste wants it outside in the shed and all seems ok right now apart from getting cold each morning when i change the litter tray... but theres a nice empty wardrobe in the bunny room i think ill sneak it into when it gets too cold lol

Thats roughly the same as Timmy and Mimi get through too, they love the stuff! Now Ive got Max aswell its insane the amount they get through! Im thinking of getting shares in some kind of Hay supplier, its gotta be where the dollar is ;)

I wouldnt know where to store the hay either. :oops::shock: I dont think i even know what a bale looks like! :lol::lol:

Mine would easily eat that amount, even my small buns. As soon as I've bought one bale I seem to be going back for another.

I wouldnt know where to store the hay either. :oops::shock: I dont think i even know what a bale looks like! :lol::lol:

i always pictured south wales as farms, farms and more farms and fields as far as the eyes can see.. do you live in a city then to not see hay bales? :oops:

I only have 2 bunnies and I buy bales of hay from a local farm shop. When I buy it I take with me a load of empty Megazorb bags and break the bale up at the farm and put it in the bags. It does take up quite a few bags though, luckily I have a coal shed that I store the bags in so have enough space.
The hay is much cheaper by the bale than buying it in bags from the pet shop and it's better quality too my two love eating it and sitting on it :)

Back