• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing in his food!

KB26

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:

We have recently set up a new home for our wee Chesney using NIC-grid style mesh panels - it's bascially a big run in the spare room with his original hutch as a 'base' for food, water etc.

He seems much happier - and he's stopped pulling our his fur which I know think was a sign of boredom :cry: - but the flip side is he seems to have managed to un-litter train himself somehow :shock:

He used to be very good about using his tray - even heading back to the spare room from the living room (where he free ranges every evening) to use his tray, which we were v impressed with!

However, now he just pees and poos at random - he seems to use his whole hutch as a big litter tray and has now taken to jumping on the sofa and peeing during his free ranging time.

I can deal with that but he is also peeing in his hay and pellets, meaning that he isn't eating as much as I think he should...??

Sorry for length of post - in a nutshell the problem is how do I stop him defacating in his own meals?! I've done the usual - moving his poos to litter tray etc - but its not working anymore. He'e not neutered yet - will be v soon - maybe this will help? Bit odd that he was so well trained and now has reverted back though...

Does he have a bowl? Maybe try raising it up a bit. For example put the bowl on top of something so he can't get his bum in it, or you can get bowls that clip onto the side of the cage. Try using a hay rack too so that the hay stays clean.

I'm not sure what else to suggest to help with the litter training, he may settle down again once neutered. Has he had a health check at the vets recently? An infection like cystitis can sometimes cause loss of litter training.

Hi everyone :wave:

We have recently set up a new home for our wee Chesney using NIC-grid style mesh panels - it's bascially a big run in the spare room with his original hutch as a 'base' for food, water etc.

He seems much happier - and he's stopped pulling our his fur which I know think was a sign of boredom :cry: - but the flip side is he seems to have managed to un-litter train himself somehow :shock:

He used to be very good about using his tray - even heading back to the spare room from the living room (where he free ranges every evening) to use his tray, which we were v impressed with!

However, now he just pees and poos at random - he seems to use his whole hutch as a big litter tray and has now taken to jumping on the sofa and peeing during his free ranging time.

I can deal with that but he is also peeing in his hay and pellets, meaning that he isn't eating as much as I think he should...??

Sorry for length of post - in a nutshell the problem is how do I stop him defacating in his own meals?! I've done the usual - moving his poos to litter tray etc - but its not working anymore. He'e not neutered yet - will be v soon - maybe this will help? Bit odd that he was so well trained and now has reverted back though...

Although some people are lucky, generally speaking an unneutered rabbit can not be reliably litter trained - I should think this is the cause unquestionably! :wave:

Thank you so much :)
Hopefully this will rectify itself when he is 'fixed'...bless him.

In meantime we've affixed a hay rack (we had removed this a couple of months ago as it seemed to perplex him somewhat! But it's been reinstated since he's now taken to peeing him his hay bowl)

xxx

Back