• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever query your vets charges?

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
When Blackie had his dental in June it included an overnight stay at the hospital and treatment for Stasis, the total came to £170.07

Yesterday's treatment for a day stay and dental came to £152.39 (they originally asked me for £212!!! I made them re-check and suddenly it was much lower...)

When I filled in the forms for the first dental I didn't have pet insurance, and said so. This time I ticked the box to say I did have insurance (but didn't add that he is exempt from dentals as I knew I would be paying the bill so it wasn't relevant to them). Do you think they tried to up the price to claim for more treatment to get more back from the insurance company?

They also charged for a full consultation and day admission yesterday, when in June they charged a lower consultation price and no admission charges...:?

I've drafted the letter below (I'm not asking advice on grammar or spelling - they can take it as it comes :lol:), but do you think I'm right to question the charges?

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing with a query as to charges for recent medical treatment on my rabbit, Blackberry Thornton.

In June 2010 he was admitted for a molar dental and treatment for GI Stasis. He had an overnight stay. We were quoted between £120 - £150 for the treatment, the end bill being £170.07 which we were happy with because he had had to stay overnight and had needed a lot of treatment.

Yesterday, 18th October, he needed another dental. I knew his symptoms, and was able to collect Metacam for over the weekend as he was still eating, but showing signs of discomfort. I then took him to the Ferndown branch on Monday morning to get it confirmed and he was booked in for treatment that day. I wasn’t given a quote for his treatment, but assumed it would be no more than last time as he was still eating and didn’t need treatment for Stasis. (I signed on the consent form, which I know asks if I was given a quote, but forgot to mention that point to the nurse when she came out to collect Blackberry).

He didn’t need to stay in overnight on this occasion, so when I collected him in the evening I assumed the bill would be for less than previously. However, I was originally asked to pay £212. I queried this, and Darren came out and checked the total, which brought it down to £136 plus £15 for the morning consultation, the total being £152.39.

Having looked through and compared both invoices I am just wondering why on this occasion I was charged £15.40 for a consultation and a further £18.90 for day admission – I couldn’t get the admission unless I had the consultation and health check first, but it seems rather a lot to pay.

When checking the previous invoice the consultation was £11.40 (he had been seen two days prior on Saturday 19th June, but his teeth weren’t checked at that time despite showing dental symptoms, and I was charged £15.40 for that consultation), but I wasn’t charged Day Patient Admission on that occasion.

I know that Blackberry will need admission for dental treatment several times a year for the rest of his life, and I have always been very happy with the treatment given to all of our pets by the staff at your practice, especially by ********. But I would like to know how much I should be saving each time for this treatment as it seems to vary so much. I do have pet insurance, but Blackberry is exempt from cover for any dental treatment as it was a pre-existing condition when I took the insurance out.

Our vet doesn't charge nearly as much. I think you have the right to query such high prices and ask for a detailed list of the costs.

I get quite a hefty discount, so whatever they make me pay is fine.

It sucks that they are asking so much. I hope that you get a good outcome.

blimey how confusing :shock: my vets always seemed fair, and the lovely vet i just left :cry: used to do all she could to keep my bill low, little things not put on ie a claw clip here and there... i dont think it was absent mindedness neither, i dont think she fully agreed with overcharging peeps.

shes going to make a great vet practice owner :love:

Our vet doesn't charge nearly as much. I think you have the right to query such high prices and ask for a detailed list of the costs.

They give a detailed invoice, which is how I know they have charged for a consultation and admission in the same day, which seems a bit off to me.

They work in an area that is mega expensive for business rent & rates, so I know the charges are above the national average, and the treatment is generally great.

There just seems to be an awful lot more drugs and treatment on the June invoice in comparison to yesterdays invoice, for only £20 more :?

blimey how confusing :shock: my vets always seemed fair, and the lovely vet i just left :cry: used to do all she could to keep my bill low, little things not put on ie a claw clip here and there... i dont think it was absent mindedness neither, i dont think she fully agreed with overcharging peeps.

shes going to make a great vet practice owner :love:

The usual vet I see clips nails etc for free, and usually charges the lower rate, but the one I saw for the consultation in the morning was the new guy, who doesn't know us or how many pets we take in there and how often....

my (new vet that actually knows what a rabbit is) have a leaflet of approx. cost (like hairdresser do) although these are approx and always lets you know if it going to be more or less which it normally is :D

My vet.....wonderful man.....Knows how often we go, and gives me a hefty discount for most things but when Roland was poorly with dental probs, from first meds to op (he was admitted and had 4 lots of meds as wasnt eating, sore tongue, pain and stuff) came to £250.00.I didnt pay...rescue did......:shock:

So they charged your £33 for the anaesthetic and then charged you £46.92 to administer it?! :shock:

(if i've read that right)

Yeah, but that's their system.....I've kind of accepted those charges - it's being charged for a consultation and also in-patient treatment on the same day that is what's bugging me most...

So they charged your £33 for the anaesthetic and then charged you £46.92 to administer it?! :shock:

(if i've read that right)

google says its two separate bits i think so two types of injection rather than administering costs.

I guess I just don't want them to turn around and say I was undercharged in June cos I didn't pay the day/overnight costs and that I owe them money!!!:shock:

If I had to pay the real fee for my Rabbits treatment I'd have to rehome all of them.
Without C I would not have any Rabbits.

I am extremely lucky and I never forget that.

I guess I just don't want them to turn around and say I was undercharged in June cos I didn't pay the day/overnight costs and that I owe them money!!!:shock:

I think (but dont quote me) that your statutory rights cover you from that anyway Blackers.

Back