• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keep playhouse warm...

cloughie

Banned
Hey :wave:

This is my first winter of having the buns in the playhouse and I was just wondering what do you do to keep your buns warm? especially if they live in a playhouse/ shed?

I have laid down loads of straw in things such as cardboard boxes, the bottom part of their carrier etc but with every one they just wee all over the straw. Currently I now have a hooded cat litter tray stuff with straw but I guess that will be full of wee come the morning :lol:.

I would like to lay straw and hay down on the floor but whereve they see straw ad hay they just wee on top :(

Is there anything else I could use apart from straw and hay?

some people use heaters if you have electric that is...or heat lamps?
what about snuggle safes? ours are indoor so i cant help much:oops:

Hiya

Do they have shelves in their as I carpeted mine then put a cardboard box at the top filled with hay they borrow in here and seem to go toilet on the bottom near to the litter tray ;)

What about newspaper? You can like rip it?

Dunno if thats a good suggestion or not. :oops: :lol:

My two outside are exactly the same - hay=litter tray - wherever you put it :roll:

I've just insulated the whole of the inside, put the windows back in and given them their carrier stuffed with hay - which I have to keep changing as they keep weeing in it!! I don't think they even snuggle inside it, I'm sure they just sit on top :lol:

What about cover the floor with straw/hay and make sure there is plenty of fresh hay in racks so that it doesnt get soiled?

If they pee on it, then they pee on it. Guess its just a little more cleaning to do? I was just thinking of a horses stable, im thinking about doing this when (and if) i get my shed set up.

Surely they cant pee on all of it, sift through it and make a pile of the straw they havent peed on and you can mix it with clean straw and re use it.

Spenser has a doormat cut to the size of his favourite spot, and also a chill and chew mat. He's a hutch bunny so they would maybe lost in a playhouse, but as both are inexpensive it might be worth trying them if the buns have favourite spots. It was a 99p mat from Morrisons and you can get the chill and chew mats from either Animal Magic or Hay Experts. :wave:

Were your buns just in for a treat in the lovely video you recently posted of them? Spenser gets in to stretch his paws a bit occasionally as his run is quite small ... especailly if my parents are out. :lol::lol::lol:

... It was a 99p mat from Morrisons ...

My buns have one of those and they love sitting on it! Dunno why as it doesn't look that comfy. I actually bought it as a doormat but left it in the conservatory when I moved them inside and they've claimed it as their own :)

I *honestly* wouldn't worry too much about your buns being cold. As long as they have a dry and draught-free, straw-filled area to escape to they should be fine with their thick winter coats. I've lined my shed with polystyrene sheeting and the buns still spend all winter sat in their run. Last winter, I bought a bale of straw during the really snowy weather and spread a really, really deep layer over the whole shed floor. The buns spent hours pushing it all out through the bunny-flap :roll:

I've got 4 pairs in sheds that all use their litter tray on the floor, and have a hay filled area higher up that they never wee in.
Do you have shelves in your shed?

I *honestly* wouldn't worry too much about your buns being cold. As long as they have a dry and draught-free, straw-filled area to escape to they should be fine with their thick winter coats. I've lined my shed with polystyrene sheeting and the buns still spend all winter sat in their run. Last winter, I bought a bale of straw during the really snowy weather and spread a really, really deep layer over the whole shed floor. The buns spent hours pushing it all out through the bunny-flap :roll:

Yes, I think, having read another post on here about the bunnies who refuse to go in their beds for the night, and choose to spend their time 'under the stars'... outside bunnies obviously don't worry too much about the cold. Plenty of hay, maybe thick cardboard on the floor, etc. is all you need - after all, they're out of the wind and rain aren't they, so its probably fairly snug in there for a bunny :bunny: I give Loxxy a small piece of Vetbed and she has a comfy, very squishy dog bed thingy but she just moves them out of the way and lays on the concrete so she must prefer the cold floor than the warm snuggly beds I'd prefer!

Thank you for your replies I think I will skip using straw and hay as they just soil it too much, which isn't bad but the trouble is that they just sit in their wee and get soggy paws, which isn't a good thing now that it is getting colder :(

There is a lil coffee table in the playhouse, which creates a 2nd level...I have recently put a hooded cat litter tray in there and stuffed it with hay...man it reeks in the mornings as they do so many poops and wee in there...even the built in filter thingy doesn't help! :lol:.

I'm going to give vet bed and a fleecey blanket a try and put down a rug/ mat over most of the lino :)

Spenser has a doormat cut to the size of his favourite spot, and also a chill and chew mat. He's a hutch bunny so they would maybe lost in a playhouse, but as both are inexpensive it might be worth trying them if the buns have favourite spots. It was a 99p mat from Morrisons and you can get the chill and chew mats from either Animal Magic or Hay Experts. :wave:

Were your buns just in for a treat in the lovely video you recently posted of them? Spenser gets in to stretch his paws a bit occasionally as his run is quite small ... especailly if my parents are out. :lol::lol::lol:

Pebbles got a chill an chew for his birthday this year...it lasted 3 hours!!! :lol: Going to try the mat idea..thank you :)

My buns come in a couple of nights a week for an hour or so...its nice to spend time with them :) I think they will be banned from coming indoors soon though by the in-laws as they're moulting loads now :lol:

Back