• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed for new born babies

mollyjoker

Mama Doe
We rescued a stray rabbit 2 weeks ago.Had her checked out at the vet,said she was in good condition posted posters but know one claimed her.We already have a bonded pair so have thought about bonding her with them.She is very freindly and loves to be cuddled and stroked.I sensed she was pregnant as there was a lot of nest building and fur lining.Today found a larger nest and 3 just born babies.
Just need advice on procedure for the next few weeks on looking after Mum and the kits.
I am going to have to find them homes as well.That is my main worry as i will be so fussy but do not want to get to attached to them.
Thanks in anticipation.

You need to check them all daily and ensure they are being fed. If they are being fed they will look like they swallowed pingpong balls.

Don't have any strong smells on your hands and stroke mum first. Are they inside or outside? Is the nest a good one?

Mum will need her food increased until it is unlimited over the next few days, and then keep it unlimited all the time she is feeding them.

At 10-14 days their eyes will start to open and you need to keep checking that a, they have opened, and b, they don't close again. If they close again you need to go to the vets. If they don't open by day 14 then you may need to intervene (but don't prise the eyes apart, a warm compress should work ok).

Thanks , the nest is very good and she has covered them with fur.They are outside but well sheltered and the nest is in the closed off area of the hutch.She seems to keep away from them .

Generally she will only go near them to feed them once or twice a day. She will stand over them and only stay for about 5 mins so you're unlikely to see this at this age.

On cold nights you can tape a snugglesafe under the hutch (i.e. not in it) underneath the nest area to give some additional warmth (if your setup allows that).

I've no experience with this mollyjoker but i just wanted to say good luck. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job too. :)

Have put a snuglesafe close to the nest and moticed this morning she had moved it closer,thanks for advice.

Sounds like she feels it is cold for them but I wouldn't recommend putting a snugglesafe in the hutch because if they touch it they are too young to get away and could get burnt. Is there anyway to attach it to the underneath, under the nest, outside the hutch?

Good luck with the babies. I hope mum looks after them well. When the time comes I hope you can find good homes for them. Keep me posted with their progress.

bless....i have no experiance either but just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully mum will do a brill job. :love: keep us posted.

bless....i have no experiance either but just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully mum will do a brill job. :love: keep us posted.

Thanks for your nice comments.
Everything seems fine.she is eating lots .
Babies seem ok look nice and cosy .
Will keep you posted:love:

OH MY GOODNESS!! Bless her, I don't have any advice unfortunatly, :? But wanted to send lots vibes for u and mummy bun, sounds like you have been doing a fab job so far. :p

:) Having 7 is not that different from 3. In some ways it helps them stay warmer easier.

You just need to handle each one each day to ensure its getting fed and if not, you will need to do extra feeds with mummy (if you need to know how to do that, if the situation arises, please ask).

I had a mummy bunny who raised 7 with no intervention or help from me and they are all still here, aged three and a half, and a healthy bunch :)

Hope the babies are doing fine. Im sure Mum will do a good job with them.
You never know when they are ready to leave mum I may be interested in one to bond with poor widowed Flopsy.

Hope the babies are doing fine. Im sure Mum will do a good job with them.
You never know when they are ready to leave mum I may be interested in one to bond with poor widowed Flopsy.

Thanks, she looks very active and in control.
I am checking them as well and they look snug and warm.
Mum has a lovely nature and considering she was a stray 2 weks ago and
is very freindly.:wave:

Thanks, she looks very active and in control.
I am checking them as well and they look snug and warm.
Mum has a lovely nature and considering she was a stray 2 weks ago and
is very freindly.:wave:

Awww - that's sooo lovely!! :love:

Back