• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know it's not a very nice thing to think about

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
But do you have evacuation plans for your bunnies in case there was a fire?? Since that bin was on fire in my backstreet the other day I've been panicking. I've bought a smoke alarm (original one wasn't working - landlord kept messing about over it, has now decided it's our responsibility :roll:) and going to get some more pet carriers so I could get everyone out safely. It's pretty scary to think though because if there was a fire it would be very hard to get everyone out :(

Mine are outside so no I don't but I have flood plans not that that would happen. :lol: My worse nightmare is there being a flood outside and a fire in the house :shock: Where would my bunnies and piggies go then?! :cry:

I've got enough carriers for each individual bun and pig, cos I can never get one bun to stay in the carrier whilst I get the 2nd one in.

I have a crate ready to get them out, so after I get Ol out I could scoop them up into it (they're easy to get in there) and get them out. That, or, if they wouldn't go for some reason, I'd herd them into the street, and then worry about it! :oops:

I did worry about this when i had Sooty and Oreo indoors and a dog - I always thought if I woke in the night and the house was smoke filled - how would I find them :cry::cry::cry:

Now they are in their avairy I dont worry so much, I have no lights or heating in there so nothing can catch fire! I do have 4 carriers close by though so if i had to get them out quick i could do!

I do have a plan. I have sufficient carriers for all bunnies on site at any one time and would relocate them dependent on where the fire was. Of course that's not much use if I am not here.

Have considered making a card to display at the front of the house to alert the Fire Brigade that there are animals on site.

i know i wont leave without them. buns in the carrier and out, they run to the carrier when spooked anyhows so should be easy enough. ste's job is to save the chippies even if that means just opening the cage and giving them half a chance to get out themselves. Ralph sleeps with us so he would move when we do.

my mates down south have 3 kids and they actually do a fire drill every so often to ensure all 3 kids know what to do and how to get out if anything happens to mom and dad.

I've got enough carriers for each individual bun and pig, cos I can never get one bun to stay in the carrier whilst I get the 2nd one in.

I've never been able to do a mass vet trip because we have to get the bus and metro so I only have enough carriers for two groups. Had never thought about fire :shock: Mine are quite good really once they're in it's getting them in that's the problem :shock:

Mine are outside so no I don't but I have flood plans not that that would happen. :lol: My worse nightmare is there being a flood outside and a fire in the house :shock: Where would my bunnies and piggies go then?! :cry:

I don't think you've thought that through properly! :lol::lol: If there was a flood then it'd put out the fire! ;)

I've never been able to do a mass vet trip because we have to get the bus and metro so I only have enough carriers for two groups. Had never thought about fire :shock: Mine are quite good really once they're in it's getting them in that's the problem :shock:

Keep the fenugreek crunchies near the carriers - they can't resist going in for one of those!

I do have a plan. I have sufficient carriers for all bunnies on site at any one time and would relocate them dependent on where the fire was. Of course that's not much use if I am not here.

Have considered making a card to display at the front of the house to alert the Fire Brigade that there are animals on site.

That's a good idea!

i know i wont leave without them. buns in the carrier and out, they run to the carrier when spooked anyhows so should be easy enough. ste's job is to save the chippies even if that means just opening the cage and giving them half a chance to get out themselves. Ralph sleeps with us so he would move when we do.

my mates down south have 3 kids and they actually do a fire drill every so often to ensure all 3 kids know what to do and how to get out if anything happens to mom and dad.

This is such a good idea, I remember when I was little two little girls died because there was a fire and they locked themselves in a cupboard and no one could find them. But my parents still didn't tell us what to do in a fire :roll:

Teddy's mummy - and you have giants :shock: I was considering getting some smallish indoor cages but they're so hard to get out the door! I think I need some sort of trolley as well to get a few carriers out of there at once or it would take forever.

Useful thread! I never thought about it much but I will now. I'll get a carrier in for the piggies - yes, they're back in - I couldn't bare them being out in the cold. Thanks for thinking about this. :wave:

This is such a good idea. I always thought we were pretty low risk because neither of us smoke, we turn everything electrical off straight after using and don't have any risky appliances. But when the bin was on fire outside I was like '**** forgot that people outside could put us at risk' :cry:

Useful thread! I never thought about it much but I will now. I'll get a carrier in for the piggies - yes, they're back in - I couldn't bare them being out in the cold. Thanks for thinking about this. :wave:

Aww bless :love: hope they don't set your allergies off too much

When Squidgy was inside we had a plan.
I also have carriers for all of the buns so that we can get them out of a situation in an emergency.
It's good to have though about it.

Thing is, if there was a fire with me then chances are it'd be confined to my side of the street.

My best friends live oposite me, so I would take them there. I haven't tried carrying them all in the carrier together, but am stronger than I look! :lol::lol: Luckily they're confined to the kitchen at night (the most likely time for a fire) and so it's a small enough space to get them in the carrier quickly.

This is going to sound terrible of me, but I would HAVE to get Oli out first, (and Pixie who is in my room) and then go back for the buns. :oops: Of course I'd never leave them!! They are my second babies, but the only way I can think of doing it is to get him out then get them. .....otherwise I'd be risking all of us, as it'd take longer. :oops: Is it bad of me to prioritise like that? :?

Thing is, if there was a fire with me then chances are it'd be confined to my side of the street.

My best friends live oposite me, so I would take them there. I haven't tried carrying them all in the carrier together, but am stronger than I look! :lol::lol: Luckily they're confined to the kitchen at night (the most likely time for a fire) and so it's a small enough space to get them in the carrier quickly.

This is going to sound terrible of me, but I would HAVE to get Oli out first, (and Pixie who is in my room) and then go back for the buns. :oops: Of course I'd never leave them!! They are my second babies, but the only way I can think of doing it is to get him out then get them. .....otherwise I'd be risking all of us, as it'd take longer. :oops: Is it bad of me to prioritise like that? :?

No of course you'd have to get Oli out first!

I can't believe I'd never thought of this before. I guess I'd have just had to turn them out into the street if anything had happened! Even so I would just have to stand out in front of the house in my PJs surrounded by carriers and hamster cages like the crazy bunny lady I am because I've got nowhere to take them if there was a fire

Back