• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this sound right?

chookmom

Young Bun
My rabbit, aged around 6-7yrs (he is a rescue so not sure) has had what could be 'Snuffles' a few times in recent years.
He does not seem unwell in himself but has a damp (not snotty) nose but the most noticable thing is noisy breathing. Not wheezy, more rattley, moist? and not there all the time just noticable when he gets stressed or excited (so the breathing speeds up?) like when I go in with the food or pick him up to put out on the grass. So we have always noticed it very quickly and taken him to the vets and it has responded quite quickly to a week of Baytril.
This time, however, it didn't go away completely with 10 days of Baytril and so I took him back. He didn't make the noisy breathing at the vets and as his
nose was dry and chest clear and teeth looked OK and he was otherwise well she wondered if he had some inflammation left in his nose and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection.
I spoke to her today as the noisy breathing is still there at times (a week later), though less than originally.
She said maybe he has some scarring and so just keep an eye on him and go back if any other signs.
I don't feel happy with this. I have always trusted her judgement before but then have never had to ask her to more than vaccinations or Baytril which has worked.
He lives with a doe who is well and happy.
I would be pleased for any advice. Thank you

I would wonder if a different antibio would be worth trying. I would wonder how knowledgable your vets are with rabbits if they tend to only prescribe Baytril and nothing more. Also, did they x-ray yoru rabbits skull to look for tooth root issues, or x-ray the chest to see if there was any evidence of any problems there?

If that were my bunny I would probably be inclined to try a different and potentially more effective antibiotic than Baytril and then see if that helped or made a difference.

I would wonder if a different antibio would be worth trying. I would wonder how knowledgable your vets are with rabbits if they tend to only prescribe Baytril and nothing more. Also, did they x-ray yoru rabbits skull to look for tooth root issues, or x-ray the chest to see if there was any evidence of any problems there?

If that were my bunny I would probably be inclined to try a different and potentially more effective antibiotic than Baytril and then see if that helped or made a difference.

Good advice there, couldn't agree more. Good luck, I hope he is fine and it is nothing major!

Hi

My bunny had a dose of snuffles and went to the vet and got medicine to clear it up. Although the medicine did make a big improvement his breathing was never 100% right after it, sometimes you couldn't hear anything and then other times, especially if he had been moving about a lot, you could hear it a bit. It never seemed to do him any harm.

No, he hasnt been xrayed. The Baytril has always worked in the past.
I think his nose is a bit moist this morning and so I will take him back and ask for a different antibiotic. Do I need to suggest one?
Many thanks.

No, he hasnt been xrayed. The Baytril has always worked in the past.
I think his nose is a bit moist this morning and so I will take him back and ask for a different antibiotic. Do I need to suggest one?
Many thanks.

What that is likely to mean is that Baytril killed some of the bacteria but the Baytril resistant bacteria has flourished.

Maybe something like Zithromax would be a good option. Its highly recommended for respiratory issues.

Back