• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does skin myxomatosis last for......

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Rab definitely has skin version of myxi, he wasn't sure how long it usually lasts for....although he's given me 10 days of antibiotics. Any suggestions?????
Thanks heaps xxxxxxxxx

:love:

Cloud had just one lump on her nose which lasted for about three weeks (ish!). She's still got a slight bald spot now but I think she'll have that forever more to be honest!

Cloud had just one lump on her nose which lasted for about three weeks (ish!). She's still got a slight bald spot now but I think she'll have that forever more to be honest!

Thanks. Is she well now? How old was she?
Did she have antibiotics until the swelling started to settle????

thanks so much in advance xxx

Thanks. Is she well now? How old was she?
Did she have antibiotics until the swelling started to settle????

thanks so much in advance xxx

There is a huge long thread about her called 'Cloud's nose looks funny...'

It's 44 pages long though so to be honest, you probably wouldn't be able to find any helpful bits in it. :oops: Most of it is about how rubbish my vet was. :lol:

Cloud is eight at the beginning of next year. She had no medication at all as my vet wouldn't listen to me when I said I believed it was myxi. They thought it was a tumour and took a biopsy. Unsurprisingly the results came back as myxi and I wasn't very impressed! :roll: By the time the results came back, she'd pretty much healed herself anyway.

Luckily, Cloud had a really mild myxi attack and literally all she had was the one nodule on her nose. It sort of dried up and the nodule shrivelled and fell off, fur and all! :shock:

She's fully recovered now, although she has a slight bald spot where the nodule was, like so -

How bad is your bunny's myxi? I hope he'll recover quickly. :):wave:

I posted on here last night so went to the vet saying "I think he has cutaneous myxi"......
And he's a good vet, very knowlegable and confident and most importantly LISTENS!!!!!!!!!!
I did wonder if rabs can get skin nasties but having sought advise of the bunny mummies they said myxi!!!!! Thanks bunny mummies!!!!!!!

I posted on here last night so went to the vet saying "I think he has cutaneous myxi"......
And he's a good vet, very knowlegable and confident and most importantly LISTENS!!!!!!!!!!
I did wonder if rabs can get skin nasties but having sought advise of the bunny mummies they said myxi!!!!! Thanks bunny mummies!!!!!!!

Don't fancy trading vets by any chance, do you?! :lol:

Got recommended from bun mum on here.....I had one girl die of stasis with previous vet who talked at me like I was a little girl..........oh and couldn't treat basic bread and butter bun illnesses.
Even the rabbit like him!!! But the bunny's fickle, he likes anyone who fusses him!!!

Hi Hannah, don't know if this will help give you an idea of how long it may last (it does seem to vary):

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105407&highlight=floss+myxi

There are lots of threads on myxi. One of Capel's bunnies got the nodular form 2 years on the run and recovered (Floss is mentioned in above thread)

Unfortunately there seem to be a few bunnies with myxi at the moment. Sending Petie lots of vibes for a quick recovery.

ETA - did Martin mention to you that he is planning on going home in January (probably for good :()

Last edited:
Both beauties seem really well....looking a bit greasy from having vaseline rubbing into their nodules........
Martin didn't mention it but he probably would have gotten a very sad face if not tears!!!! He's saved Petie's life this year and makes me feel like a concerned and sensible pet owner rather than "neurotic".........
I'll have to see him once the buns are off treatment to try and sort Petie's tear duct out. I'll ask him him who the other bun whispher-ers are at the hospital. He's such a nice bloke tho!!!! Me and the rabbits will miss him v much!!!!!

:(

Aw, bless them. Glad they are doing OK, didn't realise they both had it.:shock:

Yep, I told him I would miss him and pulled a sad face :cry:
He has saved both Homer and Katy at various points over the last 4 years and I believe Homey would not be here now if Martin had not been around to look after his teeth.

LOL - I think he sees me as "neurotic" but is patient with me.:lol::lol::lol: I think he is always relieved when o/h takes Homer.:lol:

Update on my buns...........
Swelling seems to be settling on his nose (one rather large lesion) and one of hers came off this am. They finish their antibiotics tomorrow but I think I'll keep a good slug of metacam going for a week or so yet.
I'm supplementing his diet with recovery twice daily and making sure their hutch is more like a snuggle box - before poeple panic they have a hutch in a shed in a sheltered garden. Their winter coats are in and they really are quite cosy in there. Fingers crossed Petie will see his 9th birthday!!!!
Thanks for all the positive thoughts xxx

Update on my buns...........
Swelling seems to be settling on his nose (one rather large lesion) and one of hers came off this am. They finish their antibiotics tomorrow but I think I'll keep a good slug of metacam going for a week or so yet.
I'm supplementing his diet with recovery twice daily and making sure their hutch is more like a snuggle box - before poeple panic they have a hutch in a shed in a sheltered garden. Their winter coats are in and they really are quite cosy in there. Fingers crossed Petie will see his 9th birthday!!!!Thanks for all the positive thoughts xxx

Bless him, when is it?

I'm glad they are recovering well, sounds like you are doing a great job looking after them.

I have no idea when his actual 9th birthday is Sandra!!!!! I know I've had him 4 and a half years and Jane that had him 2 years and he was 2 when she got him!!!!So maybe 1/1/2011???
His lesion (he only has the one big one on his nose) is getting smaller. Buttons (the poor lady) has had a couple of new ones on her nose but a flipping great big one on her left ear!!!
They're great in themselves with fabulous appetites and energy levels.
Am keeping them both on big doses of meloxicam twice daily til the lesions are well and truely settling.
They've finished their antibiotics so just going to see how things go.
Is it wrong to give a bunny a cocktail to celebrate his 9th birthday? I'm only joking before anyone worries!!!!!!

:oops:

I have no idea when his actual 9th birthday is Sandra!!!!! I know I've had him 4 and a half years and Jane that had him 2 years and he was 2 when she got him!!!!So maybe 1/1/2011???
His lesion (he only has the one big one on his nose) is getting smaller. Buttons (the poor lady) has had a couple of new ones on her nose but a flipping great big one on her left ear!!!
They're great in themselves with fabulous appetites and energy levels.
Am keeping them both on big doses of meloxicam twice daily til the lesions are well and truely settling.
They've finished their antibiotics so just going to see how things go.
Is it wrong to give a bunny a cocktail to celebrate his 9th birthday? I'm only joking before anyone worries!!!!!!

:oops:

:lol: Maybe a food cocktail that includes plenty of Fenugreek!

Glad they are doing well. If they need any more abx they will probably prescribe them at Upton (part of Chester Gates) after confirming with Martin.

Sounds like you have done a great job of getting them through this.

They seem well in themselves off the antibiotics, think Martin was being catious. I need to get some more meloxicam from them this week as I'm getting through 2 mls every day between the two of them!!!!
His large but solitray lesion seems to be settling but her multiple lesions seem to be sticking around!!!!
Bless them.....think they'll be fine but you worry so much don't you!!!
Will book them both in to see him in 2 weeks - she always feels like she's missing out on the trips (think she thinks he goes to a bunny spa for a massage not to have his tear ducts flushed...........)
Thanks for the support xx

Aww, bless them. Glad they are doing well.

I am going to see Martin tom for Homey's dental. I am going to see what future arrangements they are making. The receptionist said they discussed in staff meeting and hopefully are going to get someone trained up (I think they are worried about losing custom as he has regulars like us :oops:) I did say, can't he just come back every 4-5 weeks :lol:

You may be able to pick the metacam up from Upton if it is nearer for you as they are part of the same group.

Nodular myxi update..............

:wave:

Just to update everyone about Petie and Buttons.
Also to help other poor bunny mums whose bun's have developed nodular myxi.

I think we're on week 6 of then being scabby.
Throughout this "illness" P+B have been eating and drinking and hopping around happily.
Yhey had batril for ten days but have stayed free of chest symptoms.
Buttons's small scabbed fell off this week so she has cute little bald patches on her nose. She has a big lesion on her right ear that I'm leaving well alone and probably won't drop off for weeks if not til Spring time. Petie's big horrid lesion on his nose has shrunken right the way down but again, I'm leaving it alone! His left eye is no longer swollen and his scab there seems in no rush to fall off!!!!!

So all in all, 6 weeks on they're doing ok. I'm keeping them on big doses of metacam for now as I'm sure those lesions must be sore. Also he's full of arthritis and the anti-inflammatory helps him thunder round!!!!

Thanks all for the support xxx

:wave: Glad they are doing well Hannah. Well done for looking after them so well.

BTW - meet up is now week on Sunday (not this Sunday) if you can make it.

Back