• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Dutch was put to sleep, But in a seperate room! at Pets at Home!

Hi, Our Dutch was sadly put to sleep yesterday, I was upset, and the Vet at Pets at Home explained it would be put to sleep in the back room, I asked to see the Dutch after she died and I did! My main concern, is this the right practice to say goodbye? I thought vets put the animals to sleep with you in the same room? or have I got it wrong? thanks Matt:?

Hi, Our Dutch was sadly put to sleep yesterday, I was upset, and the Vet at Pets at Home explained it would be put to sleep in the back room, I asked to see the Dutch after she died and I did! My main concern, is this the right practice to say goodbye? I thought vets put the animals to sleep with you in the same room? or have I got it wrong? thanks Matt:?

Im so sorry to hear that - Im not sure as fortunetly I havent had to do that yet - but I would have thought vets allow to stay with them - surely? :cry:

It really depends on your vet, what you ask for and what their procedures are. I've always been with them because I insist but some owners prefer not to be and some vets prefer for the owner not to be.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Normally it would be up to the own, but it might be because they had to do it in a particular room that they can't let the public into because of liability insurance etc :s

some vets ask, i know i was asked with rosie, but i was soo upset i couldn't bare to see her slip away like that, i had cuddles with her, gave her a big kiss and then went and waited in another room with my nan while she was took into the back room where she fell asleep

so sorry you had to have your bun pts :cry: its soo sad when we have to say goodbye, they are part of the family :cry:

My vet has always taken them out the back. :(

But I don't think I'd want to be there to be honest. They have told me what method they use to put them to sleep, and although they are sedated beforehand, I don't think it's something I would want to see done. :oops:

I do understand were people are coming from when they find it to heartbreaking to watch. Myself personally couldn't leave any of them, i have to be with them until the sad end. They always get love cuddles and strokes even when they have passed over.The only one i missed is my baby Gizmo who died at the emergency vets but i was the last one to hug him before he went unconscious.:cry:. I miss the all terribly.xx

Are you talking at the vets at Pets at Home or are you talking in store?

At most vets you can often choose, however sometimes the vet may not feel comfortable with the owner there. It is something that can be negotiated.

I usually insist I'm with my rabbit and I will hold them whilst they administer the injection. The only time I did have to go was when the vet was having difficulty with the injection and getting it into my little Amelia's ears. Therefore the vet took her to give her some gas so she could inject her elsewhere.

Though when I did do work experience in vets it was very rare that someone stayed with their pet for the injection. They would usually wait elsewhere when it was done.

Personally I'd worry about my pets being frightened alone and I'd rather be there for them to make sure they are fine and the injection is administered correctly for peace of mind.

Helen xx

Back