• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unusual setup?

samathena

New Kit
hi all. this is my first post so please be kind lol.
we have a bunny,guinea pig,few hens and a dog, among other animals. my rabbit and guinea pig share a 12ft run during the day, have seperate hutches at each end that they go in at night. the run is open topped so sonny (bunny) hops in and out as he pleases along with the hens and dog,guinea pig is the only one that stays in the run.great sonny comes in the house as back doors open.
so after all that heres my question...sonny was a rescue but has taken to a litter tray really quickly,loves watching tv and chillin with us on the sofa, but he has a really bad habit, he wee's on my sofa,every time he comes in.
Do i get him neutered hoping it will stop him weeing? or is that just me bein selfish wanting a house bunny?

I think neutering him would be a sensible thing to do.

It might also be sensible to limit his contact with your piggie for a variety of reasons (not least of all that he may carry and pass on a fatal illness-Bordetella- to your piggie, especially if it gets run down).

It would be better for both of them to have a friend of their own species.

Is your garden totally rabbit safe?

You can be selfish and want him as a housebunny. In all honesty, he'd probably prefer it. :lol:

Get him neutered and try him inside, they're a joy to keep inside.

i inhereted them both, not planned. i had them seperate but one day i introduced them and they really really get on! dont really want to leave piggy on his own and as hes an adult male could have trouble finding him a pal. and yes my garden is safe,9ft fencing all the way round, and a savage dogs that keeps the cats away! (not really savage but the cats dont know that) wasnt aware of the desease tho that is a concern! thanks sam x

why not get the piggie a girl friend? piggies are (normally) easy to bond ...

He'd need to be neutered first.

Neutering should help the sofa weeing, but maybe get a couple of waterproof bed sheets until he gets the picture.

Keeping a rabbit inside isn't unusual at all, and bunnies can thrive as house buns! :love::love: They can become proper little members of the family.

Whereabouts in the world are you samathena? Maybe you can approach a local rescue to see if they had a friend for bunny and piggie? Sounds like you have a fabulous set up! They all sound very well cared for and loved. :D

ETA: I agree with the neutering - not just from a behavioural point of view but from a health viewpoint too. :)

hi all thanks for your replies! i live in deal,kent
il be completely honest with you, at present im not working and the cost of neutering both,and adopting more would be a bit of a strain, thats why im trying to make the best for what ive got. also all my babies live in such harmony i would hate to throw something else into the mix that could damage that. as i said before benny is free range and my back door is open all day so he is a house bunny as much as he chooses to be, and he does! piggy is the only one confined to his run but thats 12ft long. he is also brought into the house every day and groomed and cuddled lots, even my hens try to roost on my lettle!lol. x

Lucky was a house bunny but sleeps in the out house since the summer and i've been advised not to bring him in now as the temperature change can be too dangerous in winter.

I'm inclined to think that you'll have to make a decision whether to have a total house bunny or garden bunny as its not viable to have him be both. :(

Also, i think there might be problems with keeping piggy and bunny together.

Neutering is a must for the ones you have tho - even if you dont get them companions at this stage.

They do all sound very well loved. :love:

ok. can i ask why they need neutering? i think il opt for inside, get sonny done 1st piggy in a few weeks.
i have an indoor cage think its ok. its like a giant hamster cage style, plastic base, wire cage top.that ok? cheers sam x

Neutering helps with keeping bunny from perhaps getting uterine cancers and infections.It also helps with hormone problems which can lead to bad tempers!!
With guinea pigs,Im not sure.Sorry.xxxx

okey dokey, il ring my vet today, will book him in. thanks for your patience everyone. x

Aw no worries - sounds like you are trying your very best and this site is great for all sorts of info. I really do think it changes bunnies lives for the better and it's lovely to see an animal lover trying to do the best by their animals. :)

Personally I'd only neuter the piggy if you were planning on bonding him with a female as unlike buns it doesn't have any behavioural advantages. I have bonded unrelated males previously. No gaurentees of course but in my experience it seems to be a lot more straight forward than bunnies. Some people say old and young is easier however there is always a chance the youngster will get dominant as it gets older and cause probs so sometimes you are best bonding two males who are already matured and hence have their final personality. With male piggies the real key is plenty of space so they can get out of each others way if they want to.

Piggies are a little more complex than they are being given credit for in this thread. I personally have only recently started delving in to the depths of their behaviour deeply in the past few months and i'm still a little clueless in certain areas. They can be as hard to bond as rabbits and apparently they can form a dislike that will never change. Bullying and dominance are a big issue with them especially boys. The advice about a younger boy is the best way to go. Older boys will almost certainly fight. I sow would also work but as with rabbits it is possible that it wont. I'd join the sister site The Guinea Pig form for more piggy advice. Rabbits - this is the place to be but Guineas is another kettle of fish altogether. :wave:

The advice about a younger boy is the best way to go. Older boys will almost certainly fight.

I'm sure Fi at Cavy Rescue used to regularly bond older boars without a prob. I think the most important thing is to match a dominant pig with a submissive pig which is where rescues have a good advantage as having had the varies piggies in their care a while they have a much better idea on personality. Personally I did bond young to older, but I think her point that with a younger boar it could be a bit pot luck as the personality could change when the hormones hit was a valid one.

Neutering can help with weeing in the wrong places but sometimes they'll still do it anyway, even if they've been done! Mine haven't managed to get up onto the sofa by themselves yet (though Sergeant looked as if he might try last night!) and jump off straight away if I give them a helping hand, so I don't have to worry about that just yet.

I'm sure Fi at Cavy Rescue used to regularly bond older boars without a prob. I think the most important thing is to match a dominant pig with a submissive pig which is where rescues have a good advantage as having had the varies piggies in their care a while they have a much better idea on personality. Personally I did bond young to older, but I think her point that with a younger boar it could be a bit pot luck as the personality could change when the hormones hit was a valid one.

Yes the statement that older boys will almost certainly fight is wrong. It is all about matching up personalities and putting together submissive with dominant.

Your bun needs to be neutered - it will stop dominance issues (eg spraying), will settle his hormones and allow him to be bonded. Male and female bonds work easier generally.

Your guinea pig needs to be kept seperated from your bun. There are too many risks involved and you are putting your guinea pig in potentially serious danger. Your bun could accidently kick out with his strong hind legs which can result in fatal injuries to your pig. There is also the risk of the transfer of bordetella (deadly). Both animals also have different dietary requirements - eg guinea pigs cant make their own vitamin c and rabbits can. Rabbits also handle the outdoor weather better whereas guinea pigs dont develop that thick winter coat to keep them warm when it is cold.

Guinea pigs are sociable animals too though, so it would be better for both your bun and your guinea pig to split them and get them a friend. If you can bring them both inside, I personally think this is the best option.

You said you have a plastic cage - what are the dimensions of this? Guinea pigs still need decent sized cages even if they are smaller than buns.

hiii everyone!!! the indoor cage i have is 4ft long. sonny and biggy arnt housed togeter, seperate hutches and they both have the correct complete pellets, hey and fresh food. i did post the other day but for some reason (probably my stupidity) its half way up this thred. its not financailly viable for me to get another bunny or piggy at the moment.have spoken to my vet and on a day thats convenient to my mum,transport, sonny will be taking a nice little ride to get 'denutted. thanks so much everyone for taking the time to advise me. much appreciated. sam x

Yes the statement that older boys will almost certainly fight is wrong. It is all about matching up personalities and putting together submissive with dominant.

Your bun needs to be neutered - it will stop dominance issues (eg spraying), will settle his hormones and allow him to be bonded. Male and female bonds work easier generally.

Your guinea pig needs to be kept seperated from your bun. There are too many risks involved and you are putting your guinea pig in potentially serious danger. Your bun could accidently kick out with his strong hind legs which can result in fatal injuries to your pig. There is also the risk of the transfer of bordetella (deadly). Both animals also have different dietary requirements - eg guinea pigs cant make their own vitamin c and rabbits can. Rabbits also handle the outdoor weather better whereas guinea pigs dont develop that thick winter coat to keep them warm when it is cold.

Guinea pigs are sociable animals too though, so it would be better for both your bun and your guinea pig to split them and get them a friend. If you can bring them both inside, I personally think this is the best option.

You said you have a plastic cage - what are the dimensions of this? Guinea pigs still need decent sized cages even if they are smaller than buns.

I agree with this post. It would be much kinder and safer to split and rebond both with a companion of their own species. Perhaps if finance doesn't allow this at the moment for both you could bring bunny indoors to be a house rabbit (this would do for company from you instead either temporarily or permanently, although buns really do enjoy snuggling with a bun of their own, but if inside this is not immediately necessary) and have him castrated so he can be reliably litter trained in the home. He would need a very large cage (min 6x2ft) if he was to be shut up at any point, or a puppy pen/enclosure instead. Or you can give him a bunny safe room of his own. As you are aware buns thrive with lots of space. :D

Piggy would be much better off and safer with a piggy companion, and as long as you provide lots of shelter and warmth over winter (or even bring hutch into a shed/outhouse for the winter months) I would get piggy a companion first and take a rescue's advice on bonding. I can't see one extra pig being financially a burden especially if you rescue and the rescue helps you to bond.

Having grown up with both piggies and rabbits and keeping them together in the days that this was acceptable - I can honestly say that watching an uncastrated male rabbit molest and mount a pig to relieve sexual frustration is not a pleasant sight at all. :cry:

Back