• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I have been looking into insurance and wondered if it was recomended? My partner seems to think putting aside £20 a month should cover anything that may go wrong. Is this right or wrong?

I doubt it would cover anything that went wrong but you have to bear in mind with insurance that you have to pay an excess (usually around £50) and it often doesn't cover the more common things like dentals.

I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer when it comes to insurance. Just maybe think about what would happen if you got a £600 vet bill, what would you do?

I completely agree with Battlekat.

Putting aside £20 a month may cover 'regular' problems and vaccinations and such but if you're faced with a bill into the hundreds or thousands, what would you do?

I personally don't have Insurance for any of mine because I feel it would not work out cost effective, however, for a much lesser amount of bunnies I would definitely consider it, depending on my bunnies.

I doubt it would cover anything that went wrong but you have to bear in mind with insurance that you have to pay an excess (usually around £50) and it often doesn't cover the more common things like dentals.

I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer when it comes to insurance. Just maybe think about what would happen if you got a £600 vet bill, what would you do?

i agree with this, ive had 5 bunnies and in the past i hadn't insured, but in the last year or soo of rosie and mowgli's lives, i wished i had insured them, but i hadn't, my bunny i have now is insured with petplan its about £10.58 a month or something like that, petplan are good although they won't include any pre-exting known conditions or dental problems, its best to have peace of mind, in case something goes wrong

If you can afford £20 / month then you might as well have insurance (assuming two buns). If you go with petplan (the best insurance coverage) you will be covered up to £2000 in treatment every year, assuming no preexisting conditions. Just make sure you also keep all the vaccinations up to date and have a yearly dental check.

Insurance is definately worth it just for the peace of mind!

Personal experience makes me want to yell out "yes! Get insurance!"

Charlie was adopted and I'm still not 100% on his background so it was a must for me. I paid £10 a month for two months and then Charlie was taken poorly with Stasis. After a month he was better and we had just under £300 to pay in vet bills. I paid the £55 excess so £85 altogether over the three months and Petplan paid £245. Result :D haha!

(actually thinking about it, I had to pay £140 for the operation on his teeth so we have probably paid more than the insurance anyway.... so this was completely irrelevant and unhelpful! Dammit.)

I vote 'Yes! Get insurance!', it's worth it! I spent (admittedly before they were insured, within a couple of moths of getting Albert and Poppy) over £1000 on Albert, which the insurance would have paid for if we had bought the insurance a couple of weeks earlier...

It also paid for Albert when he ate a toblerone (£700) and within the same month, when he had an abscess (£300).

Am currently treating Albert for GI stasis, which so far has cost nearly £300 since Saturday and I will be claiming for that too. It just meant that at 9 o'clock on Saturday night, we didn't worry about taking the buns to the emergency vets (£112 for the consultation).

I pay £35 a month for both of my rabbits with Petplan (it costs more because I'm in london and they are older buns).

im insured with petplan, fortunatly i have never had to use them! they would not insure my oldest rabbit as he had too many issues they would not cover him for anything really but my young female is, i pay 10.50 for her a month but my other bun i save up a little pot for him i put 20 pound a week away for him =]

I would agree, insurance is definitely worth having. I always think that if I have insurance and then something terrible happens, you can just say "please do what you have to" because although you pay the excess in my experience as others have said, the insurance can cover hundreds of pounds. I once had a bill for over £700 for one of my buns a few years ago. I do also put some money aside each month to cover things like dentals though as they are not generally covered. Also, once a bun gets to 5 years old a lot of insurers don't take them so it's worth getting them covered while they are young. Just my view... good luck. :wave:

Back