• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trixie runs - A WARNING! Please read :(

Please, please be careful with these runs. There is a door on the side which the rabbits can open. I have had two different people tell me their rabbits have opened them and one was caught by a fox. My own boy rattles on the door, but I have already secured it with a padlock. Please note I am not talking about the doors with chains on them, its the large door with the sliding lock.

This is the type of run I am talking about. They sell it in a few different sizes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Large-Enclosure-Rabbit-Guinea/dp/B001FVM39E

I thought it doesn't look secure on mine, so i put a padlock through it to hold it in place. There's only about 2ml overhang on the slide across bit so wouldn't take much to pull it open.

I thought it doesn't look secure on mine, so i put a padlock through it to hold it in place. There's only about 2ml overhang on the slide across bit so wouldn't take much to pull it open.

I know. I thought the same hence the padlock on my runs :(

I have the panel ones but I think they have similar doors. One of mine is quite stiff and even I have trouble with it, the other one moves freer. We don't actually ever leave them alone when they're out but it's a very good point and thank you for mentioning it.

I have the panel ones but I think they have similar doors. One of mine is quite stiff and even I have trouble with it, the other one moves freer. We don't actually ever leave them alone when they're out but it's a very good point and thank you for mentioning it.
No problem Would hate to hear that its happened again

Personally I would not use these runs unsupervised in any case, the actual metal is strong but because it's a collapsible run the joins are very flimsy. A fox, dog or even cat wouldn't have too much difficulty in shaking that run and pulling it completely apart. I think they are lovely, spacious runs but only for supervised use IMO.

Personally I would not use these runs unsupervised in any case, the actual metal is strong but because it's a collapsible run the joins are very flimsy. A fox, dog or even cat wouldn't have too much difficulty in shaking that run and pulling it completely apart. I think they are lovely, spacious runs but only for supervised use IMO.

Me too. Peanut once opened one of those doors on mine so it has a lock now, but aside from that, Pebbles got spooked and ran into the side of the run and got her head lodged in between the bars, and she isnt tiny like a nethie or anything and Hetty had to wrench the bars apart :shock: so i dont think they are safe at all.

We only have one and no bunnies are ever left unattended :) Only larger rabbits go in there.

I have the large version of this run but I only use it inside :wave: always thought it looked a bit flimsy for unsupervised outdoor use

Me too. Peanut once opened one of those doors on mine so it has a lock now, but aside from that, Pebbles got spooked and ran into the side of the run and got her head lodged in between the bars, and she isnt tiny like a nethie or anything and Hetty had to wrench the bars apart :shock: so i dont think they are safe at all.

I had one, but when I heard this, I got rid of it...... mine are diddy buns and I didnt want them to do that, especially winni as she is a bit skitty (she has bad eyesight too) so I have a wooden one at my mums house that they can play in instead :)

I have 2 outdoor buns in one of these attached to another run - I have 2 extra stainless steel fasteners on the main door for this very reason (and an extra one on the small side door for luck!)

I think these runs are extremely safe as long as you make a few alterations - I've strengthened all the joints and it definitely can't collapse - has lasted and been safer where other runs haven't! :wave:

Last edited:
Spenser has the octagonal version with green sunshade removable cover. He only goes in it if we are around, but I must admit I sometimes go into the house for a few minutes. Thanks for the warning. :wave:

I have 2, ones very tight, the other is quite loose. But I have padlocks on all the doors as I don't have an enclosed garden and kids like to try and play with them. :roll:

Thanks for the warning.

But as, like the other folk who've responded, I only use it during the day. I've also added padlocks and tent pegs to help secure it to the ground. It's just a natural thing in me to build a little 'Alcatraz' encloseur to keep them safe...
:)

ditto. Unless, like stephy, you've reinforced them somehow.

We have one set up as a fence to extend my buns run area for when we're in the garden. First my buns realised how to push it around so we started pegging it in to the ground, then they figured out how to push the pins right up and disconnect the panels from each other. :lol:
It's still in use but obviously only under supervision. Still one of my best rabbity purchases to date.

Back