• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panting a lot

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
I presumed that Rodge was lying out flat all the time & 'panting' because he wasnt used to the heat indoors but when I put him outside for the day to cool down, he was still doing it.

He is a large rabbit & was wondering if anyone elses larger rabbit does this??

Bobby used to do this after she has gone on a racing mission, and she is quite big, (She has some frenchie in her).

She did in the summer too when it was warm.

He just seems to do it a lot. He is a big boy & his coat is so thick, ive never seen a rabbits coat as thick as this! :shock:

He just seems to do it a lot. He is a big boy & his coat is so thick, ive never seen a rabbits coat as thick as this! :shock:

After exercise? after eating (which takes energy) or when at rest as well having done nothing but rest previous to the episode? Does it subside or stay the same for up to 10 mins?

Yes its usually in the evening, he does eat too fast though! :shock:

His poops etc are perfect though, I honestly think its his size in general that makes him over heat.

I know Big Bobby Gal, will pant and flop after eating and after racing around, but it usually calms down after a few mins

Yes its usually in the evening, he does eat too fast though! :shock:

His poops etc are perfect though, I honestly think its his size in general that makes him over heat.

Is he overweight? Excess fat can not only put a strain on the heart but also reduce the size of the chest cavity a little, both make breathing harder work thus panting.

After exercise? after eating (which takes energy) or when at rest as well having done nothing but rest previous to the episode? Does it subside or stay the same for up to 10 mins?

He is a very lazy rabbit, its usually when hes stretched out outside or inside the house. He pants for a while & then seems to get comfortable. I just hope theres nothing wrong with him. :(

I agree with a vet check. The heart in a larger rabbit is the same size as the heart in a smaller rabbit, so it can struggle to cope with the size of the bunny sometimes. It may be nothing to do with the heart but its always worth a check.

Update:

I lay on the floor with Rodge last night & he has a snotty nose like Orla. :( Oh I feel terrible that I havent noticed, im starting to think hes had it for weeks! :shock:

I really do think his infection has went into his lungs resulting in the panting. Hes not finishing off his pellets either.

Vets tonight........my poor lad. :cry:

Back