• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help, I don't know what to do and may have to rehome Blossom.

I just don't know what to do. :( I have a serious problem! :cry:

I have 4 rabbits:

Jasper
DSCF6964.jpg

Blossom:
DSCF6972.jpg

Tinkerbell
DSCF0017.jpg

Mischief
DSCF1130.jpg

Mischief and Tink are happily in love :love:
asleep.jpg

and Jasper was lonley. :(
DSCF5014.jpg

So.. I rescued Blossom to live with him. Problem is, Jasper doesn't like her! :?

This is the problem:
DSCF4403.jpg

HE IS IN LOVE WITH TINK! :roll:

I tried bonding Jasper with tink and michief but Mischief wasn't having any of it, he is VERY protective over his sister and could easily kill Jasper if given the chance. :( That's why Blossom was the perfect solution and she is lovely.

I have tried everything to bond them, at first they got along well but then fights started so Blossom was spayed. After the spay there have been a few occasions where they have got on inside but as soon as they go down to the shed, hell breaks loose! :cry:

Yesterday I cleaned out the whole hutch with vinegar because I thought it would be better to let them sleep in the hutch as it is a smaller space. That didn't work, they still fought! I don't mean a bit of nipping and fur pulling, I mean full blown fights with one bunny getting hurt. :(

I've tried so hard and built Blossom's confidence right up, she used to be a nervous poor bunny but now she comes up to me for head rubs. She was a bag of bones but she's now on pellet food and gets veg everyday, I've even been building up her muscles by letting her do a bit of rabbit jumping which she loves and binkies over the hurdles. It breaks my heart to say this but I think I'm going to have to rehome her. :cry: This just isn't working and I just don't now what to do.

Here they are together in the dining room:
DSCF7546.jpg

They can get on but only inside, if in the hutch, shed or run it's a disaster and I can't let one of them get hurt. :cry:

It's getting very cold outside now. Can't you keep them indoors over winter? Once spring comes they might be bonded a lot closer and they will have forgotten about any territory claims they have on the old accomodation.

It's getting very cold outside now. Can't you keep them indoors over winter? Once spring comes they might be bonded a lot closer and they will have forgotten about any territory claims they have on the old accomodation.

Unfortunatley we don't have any room. :( The hutches are in the shed and if any animals come inside it's my guinea pigs as they are much smaller and get cold much easier. I always make sure that the hutches are filled up with hay and I'm getting heat pads this year. It is a good idea though thanks for suggesting it but there's no where to put them. :( I only bring them all in on Bonfire night and New Year's Eve but they have to sleep in large boxes, it's no good for permanent accommodation over Winter.

Even my Mum has said I will have to rehome Blossom if they don't bond soon and she loves her. :cry:

This may seem like a silly suggestion but it sounds like you need to do something drastic to save rehoming her....

Will Blossom bond with Mischief? And then keep Jasper with Tinkerbell?

I'd never normally suggest splitting a bonded pair but it sounds like Jasper and Tink would be very happy together so if Mischief and Blossom would get on too, it might be worth thinking about?!

Aww I know you've tried really hard with this...even getting your hand bitten :shock:

This is a bit way off but... if Jasper is in love with Tink, would it be worth bonding them and then bonding Blossom with Mischief??

This may seem like a silly suggestion but it sounds like you need to do something drastic to save rehoming her....

I'd never normally suggest splitting a bonded pair but it sounds like Jasper and Tink would be very happy together so if Mischief and Blossom would get on too, it might be worth thinking about?!

Lops said:
Aww I know you've tried really hard with this...even getting your hand bitten

This is a bit way off but... if Jasper is in love with Tink, would it be worth bonding them and then bonding Blossom with Mischief??

Great minds an all that? :roll: :lol:

Great minds an all that? :roll: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure there must be some way of bonding Jasper and Blossom but it sounds like whatever it is isn't going to be possible.

I always feel a bit mean thinking about splitting my pairs up (I've had to think about splitting Jess and Thistle - Thistle's a giant and scoffs all the food and Jess eats very slowly so has been loosing weight...) bit I think in this case, if it saves Blossom being rehomed it should definately be considered.

It sounds very much like Jasper and Tink would be very happyand if Mischief and Blossom would get on too, I shouldn't think the rabbits would care at all! :lol:

This was one of the ideas. :) But because Mischief being so protective he doesn't like her either! :roll: He doesn't like any bunny but his sister which is quite sweet in a way but will be awful if she passes to the bridge before him. :cry:

Honestly though I haven't tried proper bonding with Blossom and Mischief but when Mischief sees her he gets all protective and pushes his sister away. :lol: I could give it a try but would feel awful splitting brother and sister up.

My other idea is getting another 2 rabbits (male and female) see if Jasper likes the girl and if it's just Blossom he has a dislike too. Then try bonding the male with Blossom, if that doesn't work then it will prob be Blossom who is the one taking the dislike to Jasper! But there's no way on Earth my parents would let me get another 2 bunnies.

I was only meant to be getting one rabbit originally but we realised how well rabbits got on so got 2! :love: Then I fell for Jasper in the pet shop (naughty I know) but we instantly bonded :love: Never happened with another pet shop bun it was just him. Had to beg beg and beg for him. ;) Then he needed a friend. :oops: Finally my parents gave in and we found Blossom was being neglected by my Aunty so she came to live with us. Now it's awkward that they don't get on because it took months for my parents to agree to let me getting Jasper a girlfriend. Now he has one and doesn't like her! :?

Last edited:
Aww I know you've tried really hard with this...even getting your hand bitten :shock:

Yep and I have an awful scar! :shock: The scab's still there and hasn't come off yet and that was weeks ago! :? All around the side it is pink and horrible, thanks Blossom. :lol:

But yeah Blossom and Mischief was an idea but not sure if it will work. Just posted why above this post.

if worse comes to the worst, would you not be able to keep them seperate. Some rabbits dont mind and adapt well to being single buns.

if worse comes to the worst, would you not be able to keep them seperate. Some rabbits dont mind and adapt well to being single buns.

No room unfortunately. :( I also know that Jasper wouldn't want to live alone as I have proof when he's with Tink, he is much happier with her than he is by himself. ;) Also I know Blossom wants a friend cos she always goes binkying up to Jasper when she sees him outside when in separate runs next to each other.

I personally wouldn't risk splitting a happy bond between the other two on the premise that it 'might' work between each of them and a new bun, because if it doesn't and then you can't rebond the brother/sister pair you are left with 4 lonely single buns.

I personally would go right back to basics for Blossom and Jasper. Keep Mischief and Tinkerbell right out of the picture and if possible the scent of them out of the way too, other bunnies around that either Jasper or Blossom can see - might be upsetting the scenario somewhat.

Some bondings just can't be rushed. I would find a way to have them side by side for a while, either inside or out so they have company from each other but through wire, and can slowly build a bond - this works for some buns. I would give that time, maybe a few weeks/months and only then think about actually attempting bonding again on TOTALLY NEUTRAL territory. Are you certain the space you used for bonding was neutral to both parties? I wouldn't move them back to the shared accomodation until they were properly bonded in neutral territory and had spent a good deal of time in it, not just a few snuggles. If this is a struggle for you space wise then have a rescue do it for you. :wave:

I personally wouldn't risk splitting a happy bond between the other two on the premise that it 'might' work between each of them and a new bun, because if it doesn't and then you can't rebond the brother/sister pair you are left with 4 lonely single buns.

I personally would go right back to basics for Blossom and Jasper. Keep Mischief and Tinkerbell right out of the picture and if possible the scent of them out of the way too, other bunnies around that either Jasper or Blossom can see - might be upsetting the scenario somewhat.

Some bondings just can't be rushed. I would find a way to have them side by side for a while, either inside or out so they have company from each other but through wire, and can slowly build a bond - this works for some buns. I would give that time, maybe a few weeks/months and only then think about actually attempting bonding again on TOTALLY NEUTRAL territory. Are you certain the space you used for bonding was neutral to both parties? I wouldn't move them back to the shared accomodation until they were properly bonded in neutral territory and had spent a good deal of time in it, not just a few snuggles. If this is a struggle for you space wise then have a rescue do it for you. :wave:

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

All the rabbits have been in each room in the house now because they have attempted bonding in the bathroom, dining room, kitchen etc

The only place away from the other rabbits is outside - not in shed or run and it's too cold now. :( I don't know of a rescue near me that will bond them for me?

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

All the rabbits have been in each room in the house now because they have attempted bonding in the bathroom, dining room, kitchen etc

The only place away from the other rabbits is outside - not in shed or run and it's too cold now. :( I don't know of a rescue near me that will bond them for me?

Where do you live?

You can create a neutral territory by using a puppy pen as a bonding pen with a fresh piece of carpet or lino underneath - even if it goes in an exisitng room that both buns have been into - you are creating a new neutral space.

Where do you live?

You can create a neutral territory by using a puppy pen as a bonding pen with a fresh piece of carpet or lino underneath - even if it goes in an exisitng room that both buns have been into - you are creating a new neutral space.

West Yorkshire, about half an hour from Leeds. :)

That's a really good idea thanks! We have some old carpet somewhere! :D

West Yorkshire, about half an hour from Leeds. :)

That's a really good idea thanks! We have some old carpet somewhere! :D

Oh, ok bit far from here so can't think of anyone to recommend up there. :?

I would personally find a way around NOT rushing into the bonding again just yet. I would set them up side by side for a while, give them time to get used to each other, unless this makes one or both visibly distressed then you might be best off keeping one outside and the other in the house out of sight and then rebond in Spring when they have forgotten each other and the associations they have made. If they are literally flying at one another instantly then the association is very strong and very negative and I would say in my limited experience that you need to reverse this either by having them get used to each other separately and slowly, or keep them apart and out of sight.

They are BOTH neutered aren't they?

I've scan read the thread, so I'm sorry if you've mentioned this, but have you contacted a rescue to see if they could bond for you?

Ok I have a few suggestions:

It doesnt sound like the territory was that neutral so maybe start again in a few weeks on neutral territory even if you end up borrowing a friends shed for a few days.

I know it sounds drastic but could you have a group of 4?

Try asking a local rescue to bond for you - maybe BARC? Bonding is nerve wrecking at the best of times and even more so when fights break out and it is your own buns. The trauma of travelling, strange people and strange place might help (I know it sounds awful but its true!!)

BARC isn't far from leeds..

Ok I have a few suggestions:

It doesnt sound like the territory was that neutral so maybe start again in a few weeks on neutral territory even if you end up borrowing a friends shed for a few days.

I know it sounds drastic but could you have a group of 4?

Try asking a local rescue to bond for you - maybe BARC? Bonding is nerve wrecking at the best of times and even more so when fights break out and it is your own buns. The trauma of travelling, strange people and strange place might help (I know it sounds awful but its true!!)

I was hoping that when both pairs were bonded they could become a foursome. :) But thought I had best bond Blossom and Jasper first? ;)

Yes BARC isn't far but I didn't think they bonded for people?

Back