• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying questions for my Saffie...

beausaffie

Warren Scout
Hello RU friends! :wave:

Im having my 6 month old doe Saffie spayed on Wednesday. I have been told its more difficult spaying a doe than neautering a buck due to the internal organs? Just wondered if thats true? Also how long will she start to feel better after her spay and is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable?

Im a worried mummy who just needs a little reassurance really. :(

Thank you...

Claire xx

Hi Claire,

On my website (link in my sig, and then under 'rabbit info articles') there is an article about spaying or neutering your rabbit which should tell you all you need to know about what you can do to help.

Yes, it is more invasive because it requires internal surgery, whereas for bucks it is not invasive because its done outside the body.

Just wanted to drop you a wee note. We just had our 4 year old Scooter spayed on Saturday. It was VERY stressful but she has pulled through with flying colors. Make sure your vet gives you a few days of pain killers to take home!!!! Very important. Make sure that cage is ready for her and if you use wood chips or other substances that might be abrasive to her little tum then cover with towels to ensure no irritation. Make sure you have her favorite foods on hand to encourage eating as this is the hardest part. You want to ensure she doesn't go into stasis. Our bun came home and wouldn't eat for 24 hours. She would nibble from time to time but wasn't really interested so force fed her critical care and she finally started laying droppings last night (24 hours afterward). I hope this helps. This morning she was perky and very mobile and even tried to jump out of my arms this morning to avoid syringe feeding. :lol: Just wanted to let you know what we experienced so it helps. Water is very important too and our little bun was drinking heaps when she got home. I understand that the GA causes a bit of dehydration. She was very lethargic but after about 24 hours we noticed her really perk up, lay out with her back feet out etc. Let me know if you have any questions! :love:

Thank you Sky-O i will check it out now!

Hello The-buzz. I hope Scooter is feeling a lot better now thank you for your reply. Saffie my bunnies are house buns and have seperate cages they dont have shavings but they do have cat wood pellets in their litter trays so i will keep an eye on that. And will get some of her favourite nibbles in. Saffie has a HUGE appitite so i will know exactly how shes feeling.

Thats a good idea about getting extra pain relief and some critical care to thank you!

Saffie is a very clean bunny in her cage so id like to think there is a minimum risk of her getting any infections. I will do another post on Wednesday to! xx

Back