• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo jabs

catxx

Mama Doe
I was speaking to my vet last week, my bunnies are due their Myxo jab in December and VHD in January.

She was recommending holding off the Myxo jab until March/April as that's when Myxo season really kicks off and then the jab will be more effective against Myxo. Where I am I'm fairly suburban in the centre of St Albans, so no direct contact with wildies, but they are seen about half a mile away near the train tracks.

Does this sound reasonable?

Spenser is having his this week. I hadn't thought of the vaccine becoming less effective over time, but it makes sense. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along to comment. Personally I don't think I'd like to think of my bunny not being covered by the vaccine, even in winter.

Do you only have myxi jabs done one a year? If yes then scheduling it so that they have the most protection during high season makes far more sense. I have all my bunnies done 6 monthly tho so its not really something I've considered myself.

Myxo jabs should be TWICE a year and if you give in Dec will be time for next one in June in time for the worst period which is usually Aug/Sept.

It is most commonly transferred by mozzie bites - from wild buns being bitten by mozzies that then bite domestic - so the fact there is no direct contact is irrelevant.

Your vet sounds as though they need a refreshers course on myxi!

I've only had my bunnies since the beginning of September! I think they do get it 6 monthly, I can't remember when they got their last one until I'm home and can look in their record book.

I'll go ahead with the December one ;)

I would personally gradually move vaccinations, not try to do it all in one go, so maybe delay it by a month each time until you have it on the schedule you want.

My two had theirs this weekend and the vet said he'd had seen lots of cases lately of mixi in my area (Southend, Essex). I really wouldn't risk just getting them injected once a year as you really never know when they may be exposed. Totally agree with the comments as perhaps you can just gradually adjust the times of year you have your buns injected. :wave:

my rabbit had his first myxi jab when i got him at 8weeks of age in late december, he then had his next 6months later, he'll be due again in december before christmas

id recommened myxi vaccinations every 6months :wave:

Back