• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about Conifers

Rodeo Ruth

New Kit
Hi there, I'm really needing to know if I need to clear fallen conifer trimmings from my garden. My husband kindly trimmed our trees but this was just before I got my two lovely Netherland/cross young rabbits. As a result, very small pieces are on the ground on which I would be placing a run and I have tried to remove the pieces I can hold but some are very small! I have read on a vet's website that these plants won't harm my rabbits, but does anyone else have any tips on this subject, please? :wave:

Generally pines and conifers are not safe due to levels of phenols in the wood/sap I believe. However, small pieces lying around I really can't see being a problem, it's not like you are feeding great big trunks to nibble on!
We have a conifer next door and it does drop over onto our lawn sometimes, bits that die off or seeds... buns don't go near the bits anyway so never been an issue. I'm sure as long as you pick up the big bits it will be fine. :D:wave:

Thanks for such a quick reply! I'm so glad I found you all on this website; so friendly and helpfull. I'm going to clear up the little pieces as thoroughly as I can and keep it as clear as I can in future. I'' try to post some pictures of Eve and Spring soon and look forward to speaking to you again :):):)

Generally pines and conifers are not safe due to levels of phenols in the wood/sap I believe. However, small pieces lying around I really can't see being a problem, it's not like you are feeding great big trunks to nibble on!
We have a conifer next door and it does drop over onto our lawn sometimes, bits that die off or seeds... buns don't go near the bits anyway so never been an issue. I'm sure as long as you pick up the big bits it will be fine. :D:wave:

as above but I would try and borrow a lawn rake from a neighbour - this will get a lot more of the small pieces and seeds.

ALSO this applies generally to conifers BUT if the conifer is a YEW TREE then they are very poisonous and I personally would not risk putting a run on the area in that case.

as above but I would try and borrow a lawn rake from a neighbour - this will get a lot more of the small pieces and seeds.

ALSO this applies generally to conifers BUT if the conifer is a YEW TREE then they are very poisonous and I personally would not risk putting a run on the area in that case.

Just to stress this - it is said that eating 6 yew berries will kill a small child:shock:

Back