• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur course - is this advice correct?

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I got a letter through from the vets inside P@H near to me at the weekend, it was highlighting the risk of EC in bunnies. I though it was great they were doing a mail shot about this and it included an advice leaflet on bunnies and the disease's etc they can get including EC and Myxi. In the leaflet it said the panacur course along with the disinfection (bleaching of the hutch) only needed to be done for each bunny once in their lifetime. Is this correct? Also (forgive my naiveity (sp) can Panacur be given a preventative measure rather than a cure, if so do I only need to do one course of Panacur (and bleaching) for each bunny? This is what the leaflet implied. Thank you

There is a lot of different advice given about Panacur, but no one really seems to know anything factual. When the vets were asked at the RWA conference about Panacur they said they didn't know and that the advice given about bleaching/disinfecting and stuff was just based on chosen days, not anything scientific (that's my understanding of what was posted about it).

Some people believe that Panacur can be damaging to a bunny, that it doesn't work, that it needs to be done every time a new animal is introduced, that it doesn't need to be done at all, that it can be done once in a lifetime, etc. The study involving Panacur way back when was based only on two rabbits and the 'Study' showed that if the rabbits were exposed to EC and given Panacur they didn't contract the spore.

I don't think you'll find a concrete and factual answer to your question because there are so many different beliefs about it. I think its down to each owner to research and then do what they think is best for their rabbits, personally.

There is a lot of different advice given about Panacur, but no one really seems to know anything factual. When the vets were asked at the RWA conference about Panacur they said they didn't know and that the advice given about bleaching/disinfecting and stuff was just based on chosen days, not anything scientific (that's my understanding of what was posted about it).

Some people believe that Panacur can be damaging to a bunny, that it doesn't work, that it needs to be done every time a new animal is introduced, that it doesn't need to be done at all, that it can be done once in a lifetime, etc. The study involving Panacur way back when was based only on two rabbits and the 'Study' showed that if the rabbits were exposed to EC and given Panacur they didn't contract the spore.

I don't think you'll find a concrete and factual answer to your question because there are so many different beliefs about it. I think its down to each owner to research and then do what they think is best for their rabbits, personally.

Thank you very much for your response :) I will look into it, speak to my vet and then make a decision. I had an EC scare with Bumble a few months ago but after many tests it turned out to be nothing and all tests came back clear and she is no longer show any signs of anything being worng. I just wanted to clarify the info they were sending out as it did surprise me that it only needed to be done once. I will do some reaserach for myself and see what that throws up. I guess when all is well there is no need to put anybun at risk.

Thank you very much for your response :) I will look into it, speak to my vet and then make a decision. I had an EC scare with Bumble a few months ago but after many tests it turned out to be nothing and all tests came back clear and she is no longer show any signs of anything being worng. I just wanted to clarify the info they were sending out as it did surprise me that it only needed to be done once. I will do some reaserach for myself and see what that throws up. I guess when all is well there is no need to put anybun at risk.

This is personally my opinion too. The info I have read about Panacur is dubious and use it only for parasites like worms and such. Someone I know in the US is working with a new med which he says shows a lot more promise. Again though, its not something I would use unless I was comfortable with it.

EC is a tough one because there is a lot of misinformation out there and its hard to know what's real and fact, and what's not.

From my understanding lots of bunnies carry EC but only some will ever exhibit symptoms from an active infection. When I asked about it on here before I was advised to do a one off course of 28 days and then only re-treat if I introduced a new bunny who could potentially be a carrier or any of them every exhibited symptoms.

Back