• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just cant believe it think she has bladder stones :(

clairelove

Warren Scout
my rabbit poss has bladder stones, ive only had her for a week from a rescue she has already been the vets last week with bad eyes which are now fine, but she has been on baytril since last week, and i noticed she was straining last week a little but thought if its a water infection the baytril will sort it, but today she seems to have lost weight and is straining more and keeps licking her self down their and has a dribble their all the time rust colour..

Im going the vets 2moz with her to ask for a contrast and xray to be done to see if it is bladder stones...:cry::cry::cry:

i lost my guinea pig to bladder stones 4 wks ago.. 3 mths after his op to have them removed.. they came back again so i was left with the hard choice of either putting him through another op, the first one almost killed him and he was over 4yrs old too... but this time the stones had affected him worse...

i just cant believe it and dont know what to do if it is stones..?

i tried everything with my guinea who had them diet change, cystaid meds.

and i spent £200 over for his op, only for him to get them 3 mths later and for him have to be PTS:cry::cry:

I think, if she appears to be dribbling blood, you need to seek vet attention tonight. There could be other reasons other than bladder stones.

Has she been spayed?

i cant drive and cant get their tonight as my children are in bed and have knowone to watch them..

she is still eating.. i have given her metacam 2night.

she lives with her hubby who is neutered

she was due to go in wednesday to have a GA to have her teeth done too!

went the vets wed last wk with her has her eyes were bad but they are now fine after been on baytril and eye drops!

To me that sounds a lot like a doe trying to give birth but struggling. Are you 100% sure she is spayed?

Can you at least call a vet for advice?

I would suggest giving her a heat pad.

i cant be 100% sure but the rescue i have her from told me she was spayed, her belly isnt round at all if anything she needs some weight on her! she is a little dutch rabbit, would you recomened me bring her in as she lives in a 10ft,6ft shed with her hubby and her neighbours tara and dylan..rabbits

just a thought over the last 2 days ive noticed like bubble popping in her belly when im holding her!

ive also had a feel of her tummy and cant feel any lumps bumps etc...her tummy feels soft.

I think, until we know more she needs to stay with her bonded friend. If they stay outside she does need a heat source at the very least.

i have a snuggle pad or i can use my oil heater which do you think best?? dont think she would stay on the snuggle pad as they free range in the shed.

can you bring them both inside so you can keep an eye on her in case it is miscarraige?

Sometimes owners tell rescues an animals is spayed when it is not - and the rescue just passes on the info in good faith.

I have had bun with stones and it did not do this.

If she starts to get lethargic or 'wobbly' or changes at all she needs a vet tonight or she will die if this is pregnancy related. That's coming from someone who has lost a doe to a pregnancy and regrets it now, four years on, and will until her dying day.

yeah i will bring her in and keep them both in my dog crate to keep a close eye on her, anything worsens i will take her the vets asap.

OMG Rosie the rabbit has just passed a massive bladder stone the size of a marble

she is currently running around with her neutered boy friend rabbit...

soon has it came out she did a massive wee.

ive rang the vets who have said i have done the right thing by starting her one cystaid, septrin, and metacam...

the vet said its poss the metacam i gave her last night which helped her pass the stone..

she is booked in with the vets on wed morning to see how she is, but she will now be on a diet change for life and cystaid for life...

will put some pictures on later... it was sticking out of her urethra/wee hole and when i squeezed it it just popped out..

here is the stone
DSC02851.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

OMG!!! That IS enormous:shock::shock::shock:

Very Well done you for suspecting the stone and giving the right thing. Mine never had anything like that:shock:

she seems soooo much better now has been running around my livingroom and lying down, never seen her so lively.:)

will keep a check for anymore, i imagine there maybe smaller ones, but hoping the cystaid will help her bladder and put a linning on it- stop anymore from forming, also have some uriflow which disolves stones so may put her on that too.. it can only be brought from USA...

Back