• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for re-bonding brothers

biqueboo

New Kit
We have two mini lop brothers who were separated at 14 weeks after we saw signs of a fight one morning (fur all around hutch, cuts on both buns)

They were neutered 6 weeks ago and we tried re-bonding them today for the first time. We prepared a small dog crate without a specific litter tray and within 30 seconds they were in a spinning in a ball of scratching and pulling fur.

I am so upset and was terrified about re-introducing them. I really want them to live together but accept this may never happen although I am willing to try anything.

I have read the threads on here about taking them for a car journey but I don't think they would last the 30 seconds it would take me to get them into the car without starting a fight first. I did contact several rescues today for assistance but with varied confusing responses, some saying we should give them more room than a dog crate.

I would be really grateful for advice - I don't know what to do as they fought so quickly - there was no territory trigger - they just seemed to immediately react negatively towards each other. :(

Depending on your location, I wonder if you might find a rescue on here who might bond them for you? That way, if it doesn't work you will know that it was done by someone who is experienced and knows how to do it.

Would it be an option to maybe add a girl into the mix for a trio, or possibly have a girlfriend each?

We are in Cardiff but would definitely travel any distance to get our boys bonded!

I would also consider getting girlfriends for them. I just don't want to prolong the current situation.

I'm unsure of who is where and which rescue might be nearest but it might be worth posting in rabbit chat with the title something like 'looking for a rescue to bond my bunnies' and seeing if anyone can help you. There are some excellent people on here who do that.

We found them in the morning sitting closely alongside each other but both had small scratches on their ears with tiny scars showing that the skin surface had been broken

Back