• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ill rabbits and work...

melaniejb

Mama Doe
What do you do when your rabbits (or any pet for that matter) are ill and you have to go to work? Occasionally my boyfriend has the opportunity to work from home but I'm a teacher so obviously it's out of the question.

We've had a shocking weekend as Albert has had GI stasis and he's recovering today but needed hand feeding and syringe feeding his meds and critical care. I've got non contact time tomorrow afternoon so I'll be able to come home to give him his meds but I'm in a bit of turmoil about what will happen if he needs me on Tuesday...

What do you all do? :?

In my old job it was always an issue, if I needed to go to the vets etc. Care wise i'd either throw a sicky or book holiday if I was in your situation. They didn't understand the importance of caring for sick animals nor my deep love for them-they're my children :) in my new job they are very understanding on short notice hols, finishing early etc for my buns-so far. However all you can do is fake an illness or get your bun stable with treatment last thing before you leave and first thing when you return. I hope he makes a good recovery x x

I have booked last minute holiday previously - so did my ex when I had a bun with a blockage for a week. With a non-bonded/stressy bun, I have taken them to work

Now I would take time off I think. Or maybe come home at intervals through the day if that was sufficient

I am a teacher too!

When Peter has his dentals he usually takes a week of nursing (inside) before he goes outside. I get up extra early before work to make sure I can medicate and syringe feed him. Then I leave lots of different food around the room to try and tempt him.

I then leave work as soon as I possibly can and race home to begin feeding and medicating again. (because he hasn't had much food during the day I syringe feed him as much as possible in the evening)

Last time Peter needed medicating in the middle of the day my sister did it during her lunch hour. ;)

Good luck. :)

As above. Also when Starbuck recently had tummy troubles the vet asked if I was going to be at home to look after him, otherwise she was going to keep him in for nursing care, so I guess thats the other option - though not sure how much that would have cost :shock: but another option - if they felt it warranted it of course.

If Albert needs continuing nursing care then having him admitted during the day at the vets might be your best option if he is still being and needing to be syringe fed.

I either work at home or take leave. Thankfully I have a very understanding boss.

Also when my bridge bun Charlie had EC he lived at the vets for a week, then was a day patient for a couple of weeks as I just couldn't be at home all the time to keep an eye on him (he was stuck on his side for 10 days, and then rather immobile for another week or so). So I used to drop him there on the way to work and pick him up on the way home.

Perhaps ask your vets if they can do this for you?

What do you do when your rabbits (or any pet for that matter) are ill and you have to go to work? Occasionally my boyfriend has the opportunity to work from home but I'm a teacher so obviously it's out of the question.

We've had a shocking weekend as Albert has had GI stasis and he's recovering today but needed hand feeding and syringe feeding his meds and critical care. I've got non contact time tomorrow afternoon so I'll be able to come home to give him his meds but I'm in a bit of turmoil about what will happen if he needs me on Tuesday...

What do you all do? :?

i'm a teacher too and would never be allowed out during non-contact time! when i raised this query with my line manager, having read that there are legal implications to leaving a sick animal untreated, the whole staff were re-issued with the regulations on absence - taking time off to look after a sick pet, even in an emergency, is not on!
when tabby was ill she had to stay at the vets in the daytime (£50 for the day, all attention extra) and our vets don't do overnights so it was taxis home for me (£20 +£3, each morning and evening) to be at the vets by 6pm. what would happen if anybun was ill on a meetings night, i don't know. i'd have to 'be ill' myself, i think.
buns are unsuitable pets for teachers, especially single ones, but i didn't know that when i got them!

I have got stick for taking time off at the last minute but did it anyway.

Now I'm at university I get my friend or housemate to feed Grim if I'm out all day.

Could the vets keep him for those couple of hours. I have had to do that before. I have also syringe fed all through the night and first thing in the morning and then when I got home. Mine sleep through the day. Hope he improves.

I teach too. Mega-lucky too, as my ex-head once gave me permission to go home during non-contact time for a week to nurse a baby thrush (birdie made it). :love:

I think leaving him at vets is a good solution if there's no one who can pop in to medicate. Taking him into work may stress him, especially because geninely quiet places in schools are pretty hard to find..

I'm not leaving school during my PPA, I'll leave during my lunch break and hopefully be back by the afternoon session. It's only possible because of my PPA due to not having to set up for the afternoon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom this is an issue. I guess for teachers we have the added issue of not being able to take holiday. I've spoken to the emergency vet and he thinks that, if I can pop back at lunch tomorrow, it'll be fine. Let's hope he's eating normally by Tuesday as i don't have PPA and it's staff meeting night...

It's not fair, if they were children babies we would be able to attend to them when they are ill but as they are our animal babies we're not allowed. It's plain wrong if you ask me. I think it would be fair enough if we could get a vet to write a note... :mad:

i used to get my mom to check up on Alvin for me if i was at work after stasis. if it happened before work i would phone in and stay off till i seen him eat again. strangely his worst only seemed to happen at weekends :?

Pearl was never so bad that i couldnt spread her meds during home time hours, the week she died i was on holiday anyhow but i would of phoned in and took leave that day if i had needed to.

no idea what ill do now tho... hopefully Ste's mom would be able to arrange cover if i cant go in or even Ste could stay home and i go in.

I recently had to call in work and take a morning off as a holiday to take bun to the vets. They were understanding though and are pretty good at my workplace as when my cat was very poorly a few years ago I used to have to leave early once a week to take her to the vets for jabs when I couldn't get a Saturday appointment for her. This lasted a few months and they were fine as long as I made my time up.

Not sure what would happen if I had to take a week off. Holiday I suppose. I don't do the kind of work which allows working from home. Bf does but he is unable to even pick up a bunny properly he would never be able to give it medication.

Back