• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Olly poorly or just lazy??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, I'm just hoping some of you may be able to give me a clue what might be wrong with my new bunny Olly...
We brought him and his sister Honey home on wednesday and they were both fine, eating/drinking/pooing and being naturally nosy. The last few days we've been letting them out of the cage a bit and they've both been binkying around :) but Olly seems to be really tired most of the time, he sleeps/rests a lot more than Honey does, and today didn't seem bothered about coming out much. It looks red around his eyes today which I haven't noticed before, I thought maybe this might be because he's not used to heating? But that wouldn't explain him sitting around so much when Honey's so active. He's still eating and drinking ok. Any ideas most welcome! Thanks :wave:

hello. :wave:
your quite near me :)
how old are they? any chance of pictures? is there any lumps round his genetal area?
im no expert but these are some questions that will help. :)

how old are they? any chance of pictures? is there any lumps round his genetal area?

sorry i dont know why theres so many repeated posts. :lol:
i just like repeating myself. :lol:

Hi Angie, they are 8 weeks old, when i take pics you can't see anything really its just the rims of his eyes that are red, they're not swollen or anything, and he hasn't got any lumps.

Maybe he's just settled in really well? If you haven't had him for very long it probably hard to judge what for him is normal. If he's eating and drinking and active some of the time I wouldn't worry. Sounds to me that he's very happy and comfortable with his surroundings

Helen xx

The symptoms you describe suggest a number of conditions. Naturally, a lethargic rabbit is a cause for concern, and I strongly advise that you seek veterinary attention.

Meanwhile, I would remove anything from Olly's enclosure which could cause further irritation to his eyes, bathe his eyes with cooled boiled water, ensure he is as comfortable as possible, and monitor his temperature.

Naturally, if Olly has developed a contagious condition, Honey may contract the condition. Therefore, you will also be required to monitor Honey.

Best and warmest wishes.

He could have a virus. Baby rabbits immune systems are weak, especially if they were weaned early. I had 2 babies die from a virus, so I would take him to the vet asap. I don't mean to worry you, but if he does have something and it's caught early his chances of recovering are better. I hope he isn't ill :wave:

Thanks for the advice guys, I kept my eye on Olly but he seemed much better the next day, his eyes aren't red any more and he's more lively :) in fact he's been doing more than his share of binkies today!!! :D

Back