• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Dutch was put to sleep this afternoon! what about her partner?

Hi, Our Dutch was sadley put to sleep after suffering from Mixy, sad afternoon,:( my main concern is her hutch partner, the 2 of them have been living together for about 2 years, can I introduce a new rabbit? we already have another 2 rabbits in a seperate cage they are fine (got them from RSPCA) but the solo rabbit is quite a handfull! but I dont want him on his own!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

It is possible to introduce them and have them live as a threesome, or even get another partner for your lone bun. There is lots of information on this forum about how to go about doing that. It has to be a neutral environment etc. Your rabbit may need time to grieve though, you'll have to judge that for yourself.

Sorry to hear about your dutch. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Has your girl had a chance to say goodbye to her friend so that she can understand where he has gone?

Give her time to settle and then work out what her needs are. She may need a friend instantly, but equally she may need time to get over her friend.

So sorry for your loss. There are plenty of single buns on here looking for homes if you decide to find her a partner rather than bond her as a group of three. The rescues will help you find the right kind of partner.

Good luck.

Sorry you lost your rabbit to the awful disease:cry:
Was it vaccinated and is the surviving one vacs?
If not I'd suggest taking your vets advice on when to get it and your others vacs
As you have had mxyi on your property it is advisable to use quarantine conditions for at least 4 weeks..preferably 6
This means you change your clothes before seeing to the buns and change out of them after..disinfect more than normal and flea treat your bunnies and their living areas..again take vets advice on carrying this out.
Do not allow anyone else who owns rabbits to go anywhere near yours, or for you to go near other owners until you have changed out of any clothes which may have had contact with your rabbits.
I would fit fly nets to front of hutches as can cut risk.
Also do not introduce another new rabbit to your area until the quarantine period is up.
Watch out for signs of illness in your others, I hope they all stay clear.

When you do get another..as I think your lonely bun would benefit from a new partner...make sure it has had a mxyi vacs at least 8 days BEFORE you bring it home
Keep up to date with your vacs for all your bunnies and reg treat with insect repellents/flea treat and continue the use of fly screens
Hope all your other bunnies stay well and you are able to find a new partner for your now solo bun in a few weeks time

Last edited:
he ma be but did you read my post re quarantine?
better to wait a bit than introduce a new bun and lose that one too:(

Back