• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mosquito bite????????

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Sorry if this is a deeply dumb question but can buns get bitten by mosquitos?
I've moved and am in an area with quite alot of mosquitos-am moving to 6 monthly myxi jabs don't worry!!!
I've noticed a big swelling by my boys nose today - he's having twice daily eye wash outs for a blocked tear duct so I'm sure I would have noticed the swelling before. It's definitely within the skin, moves, isn't an abscess and poking at it doesn't seem to bother him too much.
I'm planning to keep an eye on it but he's back to the vets a week tomorrow anyway.
Anyone got any thoughts? I know cats get skin cancers but do buns? Even if they do an insect bite is more likely I would have thought? Oh I also have a lavander plant....I keep chasing them out of it as I'm sure lavander oil can but quite irritating.
Sorry for such a long post and sorry for not being on here for ages!!!
Where do the weeks go??????

:wave:

dont mean to scare you but...........it might be myxi..... this is how it has started for alot of buns on this site..i would definitely go to the vet asap.
when was their last myxi jab? do they live outside? you might benefit from reading previous posts on myxi..
so sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news:cry:
let us know how you get on ..i really hope im wrong..and bunny is better asap

dont mean to scare you but...........it might be myxi..... this is how it has started for alot of buns on this site..i would definitely go to the vet asap.
when was their last myxi jab? do they live outside? you might benefit from reading previous posts on myxi..
so sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news:cry:
let us know how you get on ..i really hope im wrong..and bunny is better asap

His last jab was in June, he's very well in himself, running round ate a good breakfast and is currently sat out on the grass eating. They spend time outside when I'm home (which isn't that often in the week) and have an 8x5 ft shed at the bottom of the garden with a hutch etc. I'm going to put them to bed in a bit with extra hay and will get up early tomorrow to spend longer checking them over. My bunny savy vet should be in surgery tomorrow evening so I can always cancel some work and scoot over there.
I'll read through the threads and prepare for a sleepless night!!!! He's been through so much this last 12 months I love him to bits!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Hannah, I agree he should see a vet asap as quite a few bunnies seem to be contracting it on here even though they have had their vacs and the sooner they get treatment the better.

Martin will see you first thing if you can't get to see him sooner for something like this - don't wait until his surgery tomorrow. It would be worth ringing them now to see who is on call - if necessary they may be able to contact Martin if they feel it is an emergency.

Last edited:
Hi Hannah, I agree he should see a vet asap as quite a few bunnies seem to be contracting it on here even though they have had their vacs and the sooner they get treatment the better.

Martin will see you first thing if you can't get to see him sooner for something like this - don't wait until his surgery tomorrow. It would be worth ringing them now to see who is on call - if necessary they may be able to contact Martin if they feel it is an emergency.

Peter's vaccinated and really well but have just spoken to the surgery. He's in tomorrow so will phone first thing. I'll will have to juggle work but will take my spare keys to my dad's so can always get him to take petie over. Have read some of the RWF info and myxi if vaccinated itsn't necessarily fatal so I've stopped panicking......still hate feeling sick for my boy!!!

If it is myxi, the chances of survival are much higher if they have been vaccinated.

Fingers crossed it isn't myxi. Poor Petie, he has been through so much this year.

If it is myxi, the chances of survival are much higher if they have been vaccinated.

Fingers crossed it isn't myxi. Poor Petie, he has been through so much this year.

He was too busy starting to eat his dinner while I washed his eye out and poked at his nose!!!!!

I do think the lump is a skin myxi swelling but the prognosis for that (from a quick read) isn't too bad. I'm dumping colleagues in it tomorrow and am off on Tuesday so can watch him like a halk.....beggered for the rest of the week though!!!!! I'm sure he's too well for Martin to want to keep him in but will get him there tomorrow and see what he says.

My little man is my super star.............. I care about my buns far too much!!!!

He was too busy starting to eat his dinner while I washed his eye out and poked at his nose!!!!!

I do think the lump is a skin myxi swelling but the prognosis for that (from a quick read) isn't too bad. I'm dumping colleagues in it tomorrow and am off on Tuesday so can watch him like a halk.....beggered for the rest of the week though!!!!! I'm sure he's too well for Martin to want to keep him in but will get him there tomorrow and see what he says.

My little man is my super star.............. I care about my buns far too much!!!!

I know..... I think they are even more special when they have been through so much too. Good luck tomorrow.

I know..... I think they are even more special when they have been through so much too. Good luck tomorrow.

I compleetely agree. The ones I nursed through illnesses that should have killed them (like Petie's awful dental) and then have lost them through somethingelse entirely have been the most difficult lossess.
I checked on them an hour ago and gave them cuddles and as a treat half a cor on the cob. After some lovely head strokes (and eyeing me up as if to say "mum you're overfeeding us......") they happily got stuck in. He's bright eyed with warm ears and a bob tail sticking up. He honestly doesn't look like a sick bunny but I'm not ignoring this swelling!
Night all xxx

How did Petie get on at the vets?

Martin pretty definite it's cutaneous myxomatosis. So decent doses of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and tlc. I've checked her over and she has the same sort of lesions on her nose area but smaller. Started treating her for it too and will get some extra antibiotic from my local vet. No point them seeing her, I'll write it all down and only take her in if the insist!!! Hopefully cos I know what I'm talking about (ish) it'll be ok. Martin wasn't sure about how long it lasts, any ideas? Will post seperate post and see what people think??
x

so sad to hear that it is myxi:cry: but good that petie is jabbed:thumb:
i hope that it wont be too bad and that petie is over it asap:D

so sad to hear that it is myxi:cry: but good that petie is jabbed:thumb:
i hope that it wont be too bad and that petie is over it asap:D

vaccinated 4 months ago and has skin lesions and a little bit of left eye swelling so hoping they'll be in the clear in 10 days xxx

Back